Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Melissa & Doug Cutting Food
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Toy|Change

on September 26, 2003
I wanted to get my daughters some play food that wasn't plastic, and this turned out to be a gem. I have to say that the picture here doesn't do it justice -- the pieces are much more appealing in person. Originally I thought they would like one of the other 2 sets better (the pizza or the sandwich set), but after purchasing them, this is the clear favorite. These pieces are the most versatile. There is some bread, which can be fashioned into a sandwich. The veggies/fruits can be served as is or chopped up in a "stew", etc. The carrot can double for chunks of cheddar.....and on and on. We've counted pieces. We've played restaurant. And really, getting the cucumber back together so there is not a kink in the middle is almost a puzzle. There is something most satisfying about the crunching, slicing sound too.
I do agree with the other reviewer about the paint smell though (but it does go away). And the red paint started rubbing off on the knife almost immediately.
All in all, however, this will get played with A LOT.
on May 24, 2002
This was a gift from Grandma for our 18 month old. Our daughter figured out how to cut a few months later. It's perfect for age two and up. She loves to cut up all the fruits, veggies, and bread. It comes with two cutting boards and two knives so a friend can play along too. It keeps her entertained for a long time and, as others have mentioned, teaches her the names of a few fruits and veggies along the way. Everything comes in a nice wooden box with a slide-on lid, which is great for storing all the pieces and for the fun of "in and out" of the box. My only complaint is that the velcro stickers which hold the pieces together are not compeletly durable. I've reglued a few of them, which has been no big deal to do. Overall a great toy, well priced, and nicely made.
11 comment| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2003
The picture above shows the OLD cuting food box that came with 2 knives and 2 cutting boards. Now it comes with 1 knife and 1 cutting board, so that this toy cannot be shared. I prefer it to have 2 boards and knives so that 2 kids can share it - otherwise fights do ensue.
But I do love this toy. My daughter received it for her 2nd birthday and still loves to play with it (she is over 3 now). One problem is that the baby loves it too (17 months) but some of the pieces (carrot) are choking hazards - hence the age warning. We moved the toy to the 3 yr old's bedroom to keep it out of reach of the baby until she is older. I did not notice a strong paint odor upon opening the toy. The toy is of quality construction - I think this toy will last forever.
VINE VOICEon November 4, 2002
I got this set for my (then) three year old last Christmas, and this has been an absolute favorite toy in our house since then. The food really makes a cool "crunch" sound when you cut it with the pretend knives, and my son (now 4.5) loves to "cook" the food and create all kinds of interesting pretend stews which he serves to my husband and I. He can literally play with these items for hours.
I had two small complaints about this set. Firstly, the watermelon slices have very thin edges and are prone to being snapped off or "chewed" if you happen to have younger children in the house. My husband and I ended up putting the watermelon away pieces away for now. The rest of the food is durable and "chew" proof for the most part.
We, however, live in a VERY dry climate, and all of the wooden food developed large cracks and splits within 2 weeks of being in our house. To their credit, the company replaced all the defective pieces free of charge and we have been "crack free" ever since.
This is an EXCELLENT toy, and I highly recommend it.
on November 13, 2015
My 2 year old loves this toy! She is very proud that she can cut the food by herself. She is always wanting to use the "cut" at the restaurant. This gives her an outlet for her completely natural instincts. She just wants to do what she sees people around her doing.

The pieces hold together strongly enough that it does require a bit of effort on the cutting. This is a good thing- you want them to feel like they are really cutting through something. Some other products just fall apart and barely hold together.

Some of the pieces are painted and glazed. Some are bare wood, and some are a mixture of both. The cutting board and knife are both bare wood. They are smooth and so far have caused no splinters or give me any reason to think they will.

My biggest complaint is that the very first time my daughter started cutting the loaf of bread, the paint chipped. This is the only piece of food that has chipped. She has even take a piece of the pepper and bitten it with no scratches. I'm glad the rest of the pieces are holding up, but I'm frustrating that after so little use it is already showing signs of wear.

Overall this is a great pretend play toy that works for kids as young as 2.
review image review image review image review image
on October 2, 2011
I was completely shocked by this product because I normally love Melissa & Doug toys. The quality is very low. The paint on the vegetables is not uniform (i.e. the bread has streaks of pink and purple on it) and the smell was horrible just out of the box. My daughter pretended to eat it...(this is toy food!) and said "yucky" because indeed, there was some kind of awful taste to it probably from the horrible paint. I have to be honest, I love the FisherPrice toy food a lot more than this. She never plays with it, preferring the toys that look more realistic. Melissa & Doug fail.
on November 7, 2003
Who'd have thought that wooden food would be so much fun? I don't know if it's just the cool cutting sounds these foods make when you "cut" them, or whether it's that kids love doing what Mom does, but these are really fun. Clever idea.
on June 12, 2014
I have seen the exact toy at a friend's home, and our baby loved it. However, the one I got here is a disaster. Rough wood piece, splinters on the edge, strong irritating paint smell. NO ONE would give it to a kid!!! I trust Melissa & Doug. If this is really from them, then I am deeply disappointed. If not, I am shocked that Amazon allows counterfeit.
on April 12, 2003
I have two boys age 5 and 3 who love to pretend to cook. I bought this set 6 months ago and it continues to be a favorite on a daily basis. It has already outlasted many of the plastic or cardboard food sets I have bought. It is also an extra bonus that they have to figure out how to put the food back together so it looks right! It has been a big plus for me that it came with TWO wooden knives and a nice wooden stoage box. I will be buying this as a gift for many of my friends' kids in the future!
on October 26, 2009
My daughter seems to enjoy it but I'm very disappointed by the fumes--which makes me believe that the paint is not eco-friendly and/or has not off-gassed yet. I spent a bit more and bought the PLAN cuttable foods and there is no smell. If this is a concern, I would definitely buy PLAN. Going forward, I will no longer use M & D products--everything smells unless it's used for awhile and has off gassed.