5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Fun
These instruments are durable and of good quality. I don't worry about my kids banging on them as hard as they want. They make beautiful music. The kids have so much fun playing with them. They are real instruments, not plastic imitations that don't sound quite right. This was a purchase I don't regret.
Published on October 3, 2002 by Melanie Andersen

3.0 out of 5 stars Big dissapointment...
Our three year old really likes to "make music" and we wanted to get him some quality rhythm intruments. Unfortunately these did not fit the bill.
Published on March 13, 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality Fun, October 3, 2002
Melanie Andersen (Daly City, California United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so durable Band in a Box, July 18, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Band in a Box (Baby Product)
This item was purchased for as a Christmas gift. Within the first day the head of the tamborine was destroyed by light to moderate tapping. Not too worried, figured not everything is toddler proofed. But six months later, with minimal use, one of the handles from the maracas came off, beans everywhere. Thankfully my son came to me right away to tell me it had broken. The handle just comes right out of the head, the seal is gone. I'm in the process of tracking down the manufacturer's website. But if you have little ones, check these handles!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Big dissapointment..., March 13, 2003
By A Customer
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Band in a Box (Baby Product)
The thin paper on the tambourine tore before we even had it all the way out of the box. I don't see how it could have stood up to even the most gentle use, much less to an enthusiastic child. It is also really small, even compared to other toy tambourines I've seen. One of the maracas split open along the seam, though we put the beans back in and it sticks together pretty well. I guess some glue might fix it better, but I'll be sure to add more beans - the skimpy amount in there just doesn't make a satisfying "shake".
The triangle is very large and looks sturdy, but it sounds awful, not at all like the pleasant sounds of the ones at our child's preschool. The lengths of the sides are uneven; perhaps that's why it is out of tune with itself. It's also pretty heavy for a small child to hold. Let's see what else... the hollow wooden rhythm stick also broke, during normal use, but it at least lasted about two weeks of occasional use. The clapper stick is still intact but probably because my son hasn't used it much. The cymbals seem sturdy enough although the screws that hold them together are a bit rusty (they arrived that way) and the brass finish scratches off immediately so they look really beat up.
The wooden box was not a selling point for us, though I suppose it could be a good storage solution for some families; for us it is easier to put the instruments in a bin or basket, since we have some other instruments, jingle bells etc., that won't fit in the box.
So, while I can't recommend highly enough giving your child rhythm instruments, skip this product and either get find some better quality ones or just get out the wooden spoons and plastic containers from your kitchen - they last longer and are more fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, November 28, 2003
Nat's Mom (Newton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Band in a Box (Baby Product)
I bought this for my almost 2 year old when he was just 18 months. He uses it nearly every day. I play CDs while we are playing with his toys and he likes to go over to the box and play along with different instruments. Sometimes we make a little marching band around the living room.
Like other reviewers, we had a problem with the tambourine almost immediately, but I taped the entire top with packing tape and it is fine. We have had no problem with the shakers even though he likes to knock them together and on other things. And they are plenty loud! The only thing we don't like is the triangle. The string comes off constantly and is hard for him to hold - not heavy just a problem because of the string - but he likes to bang it while I hold it. This is not high quality, but makes a nice first introduction to musical instruments.

5.0 out of 5 stars For younger children with supervision!, January 20, 2005
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Band in a Box (Baby Product)
My daughter got this for her 1st birthday last year and these musical instruments are well made. I don't let my daughter play unattended with the triangle and it's metal stick in fear she might run with it, but other than that this is a nice set. My brother's son did break the Spanish shaker by hitting too hard . So, if you get this as a gift just watch your child, as you'd do with other toys and you shouldn't have any major problems.

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY disappointing, January 17, 2009
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Band in a Box (Baby Product)
I used to be a big fan of Melissa and Doug toys, but I have been very disappointed with some of those we got for Christmas. Especially this music se is absolutly useless. The thin paper on the tambourine tore 10 minutes after we took it out of the box, the egg shakers barely make any noise, it actually sound as if the inside beans were wet, and the cymbals don't work either. So the only thing that is quite nice about this set is the triangle and the red noise maker.
If you wand some good quality instruments for your child, go to west music store here on amazon and find all the instruments separately, the price you spend will be equal to this set and you will be much happier with the products {I got lolipop drum, egg shakers, triangle, cymbals with knobs and tambourine and it is uncomperable quality!!!!}

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made product...fun and safe for my 1 year old, October 11, 2005
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Band in a Box (Baby Product)
We love this product! My 1 year old loves to shake the maracas, and the clacker....and even the tambourine! We thought she'd like it, but did not think she'd be REALLY into it until a few months down the line. But she is. This company really makes quality products. My daughter recieved several gifts made by Melissa and Doug. She really loves them all...and we love them because they aren't just for the first 2 years....she will be using them and enjoying them for years to come.

1.0 out of 5 stars Already Broken After One Week, January 11, 2007
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Band in a Box (Baby Product)
My children are not the type to break their toys because they are too rough with them. That is why I was surprised when after only a week of owning the music instruments there are several instruments that are already broken and can no longer be used to make music. The tambourine (drum part)ripped right away, and the hollow wood instrument cracked and split in two. I would not recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Excellent Quality, January 24, 2006
R. Blake (Reynoldsburg, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Band in a Box (Baby Product)
My 2 year old received these instruments for Christmas this year. She absolutely loves them! The instruments are durable and well-made. As with any toy, as long as your child doesn't abuse them they will last for years and years! Our family is comprised of professional musicians and even we are impressed. She is learning the fundamentals of rhythm by playing the instruments along with her favorite music. A wonderful toy, highly reccommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring out the musician in your child, December 20, 2002
"kyaqua" (Pasadena, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Band in a Box (Baby Product)
My 4 year old loves this set of musical instruments. She likes to turn on music and accompany it with her own instruments, to be part of the band or orchestra. She is pretty hard on her toys, and within 6 months she has busted out the drum head on the tamborine (to be expected) and broken one of the maracas twice by banging it against a solid object (we put it back together with packing tape). I don't think the maracas would break unless abused. The other pieces are very durable and of excellent sound quality. I highly recommend this toy!

Melissa & Doug Band in a Box