Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on January 31, 2007
I first saw this toy online, and thought it was a must have for our daughter since she's really getting into puzzles and stacking and things of that sort.

The idea is wonderful - three stackers in one, with varying levels of difficulty. The first two are quite simple, and the third requires a bit more skill and mental energy to piece back together correctly.

So, we bought this for our daughter's first birthday, and it was a hit! Even her noise-making over-stimulating toys were forgotten when she opened this one.

Why only three stars? Well, a couple of things:

First the paint stuck together between the pieces - most significantly on the more difficult stack of the three, and it was quite hard to seperate the pieces. When we finally did seperate them, much of the paint was removed and transfered to the other pieces, and more of the paint chipped off soon after with very little play. Even non-toxic paint I'd prefer she didn't swallow in these quantities. I would have thought this was exclusive to our toy, but a few other reviewers said the same thing.

Second - odd as it may sound - the three prongs sticking up worried me a bit in terms of her falling on them. Since the base is broad, it doesn't overturn as easily as the single stacker. Since she is learning to walk, she does tumble over a good bit. Maybe a needless concern, but worth mentioning.

Ultimately we returned this to the toy store and replaced it with the simple rainbow stacker. I think she's gotten an equal amount of play out of it - and it doesn't seem to carry the problems and hazards of the geometric one.

This one simply needs improvement in construction (let the paint dry before assembling the toy!) and safety (maybe seperate the three parts rather than putting them all on the same base)before I would think of purchasing it again.
33 comments| 202 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2005
This is quite a step up from the basic ring stacker that so many toddlers are fond of! I like the fact that the child can stack the pieces in various orders. They are not confined to ordering the pieces by size. This product should provide months, if not years, of experimenting and learning for my 2-year-old. Valuable for teaching early math concepts.

My only complaint is that close supervision is an absolute must with this toy. The long wooden poles pose a threat in my mind. Falling onto this toy, or waving the base around could result in injury. I will only allow my child to play with this toy in a seated position and only with me close by.

All in all, this is a very educational manipulative with plenty of play potential. Great for learning basic colors, too!
on May 14, 2012
The red pieces tested positive for lead. How I wish I could turn back time and "unbuy" this. If I could rate it a zero, I would.
33 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2007
This is a well made toy but my problem with it is that the holes are small enough to get a little finger stuck inside of them. We had to take our 3 year old to the hospital to have one of the disks removed from his finger- he put it on like a ring. Be prepared to go to the ER- unless you want to risk cutting it off yourself!
0Comment| 114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2009
Quality control on the product is nil. Had to return item because the parts were assembled with wet paint, so ALL of them stuck together--required a knife to separate and all of them ended up with severely chipped paint. The replacement was worse. DON'T BUY IT. A shame, because the design is great--its more complex than other versions. But stick with the better ones--Plan Toys for instance.
on July 16, 2008
To begin playing, take the blocks off the poles. At first I was worried she would fall over and hurt herself on these exposed poles. Next, the poles fell off, which then exposes this clear glue which my child wants to chew on.

Just like the sorting cube I bought with this, the colored paint chips off. The square is 2 shapes which fit to be a square. Seems like a good advanced concept, but mostly concerned of the sharp edges. So those were put away.

I should have bought one of the plastic versions of this. The paint would not have chipped off. And maybe the poles would have been attached to the base rather than adhered with toxic glue.
on February 18, 2016
My 2 year old son loooves this! He loves will spend an hour stacking and restacking. He hasn't got the concept of putting the like pieces together yet. But he's working on fine motor skills and then the next step would be matching them. He's building concentration and lengthening his attention span as well. Highly recommend!
on November 21, 2005
I am highly recommending this toy because the little pieces don't have to go on the pole in a set order. The pole is a dowel and the holes in the rings are all the same size thus the child can get them all on at a much earlier age - doesn't need to understand biggest ring first. Secondly, it's size allows it to fit in a carry-bag for a toy on the run; I used it as entertainment in restaurants easily. Thirdly, I am still using it because now we are into learning colors. It was well worth the investment.
on December 3, 2007
I'll start by saying that i love their products. Anything without batteries that holds my son's attention for that long? How can one go wrong. Easy. Lose a piece. My son misplaced one of the round pieces. I wrote to Melissa and Doug. They responded that each one was hand made and therefore there are no replacement pieces. I respect their craftsmanship and quality but come on, have a couple of extras made for spare parts in case someone loses one. I am sure I was not the first to request one.
on February 28, 2016
My daughter was a year old when we got this for her and she loves it. She still plays with it daily, 5 months later. She mastered it pretty quickly, but doesn't seem bored by it. I am taking away 1 star because having 3 wooden dowels sticking out of a piece of hardwood base seems so dangerous. She likes to carry things around and since this is made of wood, I worry about her falling and impaling herself or losing an eye or tooth. I secretly hate this toy because of that fact. The same goes with the wooden rings. They hurt when they are dropped on feet and make a heck of a loud mess when dumped out on the coffee table. Everything Melissa and Doug makes seems to be wood, but I don't know if that's always a good thing. The other star is lost because some of the holes in the rings aren't drilled out enough or as much as the others. Two pieces in fact have to be forced on and pried off by an adult. Those two piece only fit on one particular dowel/post and that drives my daughter crazy. She gets really frustrated that she can't always complete the set herself because two of the rings have smaller holes than they should. Truthfully, I hide this toy when she's not looking since I feel it's more trouble than it's worth. But I'm sure my daughter would sing its praises, if she could sing.