1,004 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Best blocks for the money. Period.
There is one reviewer here who didn't like these blocks. (I'm guessing that reviewer has other, more expensive, unit blocks.) Please allow me to address the points raised by that reviewer.

Published on October 2, 2007 by Annalea

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of wood filler
Please be cautious if you have young children who might chew on these blocks! Some of the blocks have wood filler in them. My son mouthed a block with filler and was able to chew the filler off. When the filler is wet, you can scrape it off with your fingernail. Who knows what kind of glue and chemicals are used in the filler.
Published on June 24, 2008 by PlanetSmile

5.0 out of 5 stars Best blocks for the money. Period., October 2, 2007
This review is from: Melissa & Doug 60-Piece Standard Unit Blocks (Toy)

"The Weight": Some children can lift 15 pounds (like my 3-year-old), and some can't. Know your child, and supervise the little ones when moving the full box of blocks. Common sense, really. Not a problem. Usually, my kids leave the box on the floor and just push it across the carpet.

We have had one box split near the bottom at one end. A little wood glue and an overnight clamping session, and it was good to go. The dovetail joints are plenty strong for the job, even if there might be weak points in the wood. For the first while, my kids' favorite piece was the box (it was a boat, a bed, a car, etc.), so I'm not surprised that it had a problem.

"The Smell": yes, these blocks to have a slight odor to them when the package is first opened. It's the finish they use, and it's not strong at all. I would guess it's some type of natural oil. (Tung, linseed, or something similar.) I'm highly sensitive to chemicals and other odors (headaches and allergic reactions), and this didn't bother me at all. It dissipated quickly, and is completely unnoticeable after a short while. I especially like the finish M&D use on these blocks because it's not readily apparent, and yet it has kept the wood smooth. Even blocks that sneaked (under their own power, I'm sure ;o) into the bathtub have dried very well. The grain of the wood raised slightly, but smoothed back down nicely with play, and never splintered at all. The feel of these blocks is great, too. Smooth and pleasant to touch, but with enough texture to make them easy to manipulate for small hands.

"Not True Standard Unit Blocks": Um, yes, they are. The larger triangles are the size of two of the smaller triangles, two of which equal half of the standard unit block (1-1/2" x 2" x 5"). The hypotenuse of the large triangle is also the same length as the standard unit block (5"). The large triangles use variations of the same "unit" all the other blocks do. Just because HABA or other companies don't have a block that size doesn't mean it can't be done. Each and every block in this set shares the same width, as well as one other dimension (whether that second dimension is exactly the same as the first, or is a multiple of it).

And those little quarter circles are some of my kids' favorites. They're also great for helping to teach fractions, as are the half circles. Put 'em on their rounded edges on top of a little block, and you've got a nifty sailboat, to boot. Or on top of a pillar, and you've got a minaret spire. They're great.

"Not hardwood": Rubberwood is a hardwood. Not all hardwoods are as heavy as cherry or oak. Can you imagine how heavy this box would be if the blocks were made from a heavier hardwood? Ay! No thanks. It's heavy enough as it is.

I love it that the Rubberwood is tough as well as light. Along with the very tight, straight grain and smooth feel, my kids have abused these blocks for nearly four years now, and they're still looking great. (We now own two sets.)

To sum up: We love love love these blocks. If you have more than one child (or one very imaginative and creative child), you would do well to purchase two sets. (And you're still paying less for two sets than you would be buying 60 unit blocks from other companies.)

Cheap? No way.

An excellent value? Definitely!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every child should have these!, February 25, 2004
This review is from: Melissa & Doug 60-Piece Standard Unit Blocks (Toy)
These blocks are all you could ask for--and at an unbelievable price!! These are indeed "Standard Unit Blocks". They are just like what you will find in Preschool and Kindergarten classes. The selection of sizes and shapes is very, very good for a set with only 60 blocks total. That being said, if you can afford it I would strongly recommend buying 2 sets. When youngsters start building it's a shame if they run out of building materials for their creative experiences. The quality, weight, and workmanship of these blocks is outstanding. This is surely a gift that can be passed on for generations. In this day and age of pricey toys-so many being electronic and/or requiring only "one right answer or goal" it's incredibly refreshing and truely necessary to encourage children to be creative and explore learning through active free play. I purchased 2 sets of these blocks for my 3 & 4 yr old boys. I believe that the purchase of these blocks are probably one of the most valuable "toy" choices I have and will make.

5.0 out of 5 stars The quintessential blocks, October 11, 2003
This review is from: Melissa & Doug 60-Piece Standard Unit Blocks (Toy)
The craftmanship and detail approaches perfection while the variety of play becomes infinite. My son (4 years) continues to astound us with his imagination and engineering feats when he builds with the "Standard Unit Blocks." This will be his second box, allowing him to expand the existing set and enjoy his play even further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great blocks - highly recommended, April 4, 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug 60-Piece Standard Unit Blocks (Toy)
My son (now over 3.25 years old) has had these now for over a year. It was an excellent buy. The blocks still get a lot of use and are of very good quality. I highly recommend these. See photos I uploaded.

UPDATE 2010-09-01: Still makes use of these unlike many other toys he's had... I now consider a good set of blocks as a "MUST HAVE" toy for a young child.

UPDATE 2012-07-01: My son is 5.5 and still uses these blocks... many other toys come and go, but this one lasts and lasts.

UPDATE 2013-12-04: My son is almost 7 now and still occasionally uses these blocks. Again, I'm impressed with the longevity of how long a child can play with these. Again, highly recommended! I now wish I had bought 2 sets originally.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware of wood filler, June 24, 2008
This review is from: Melissa & Doug 60-Piece Standard Unit Blocks (Toy)

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome and inexpensive, nice quality, standard sized!, March 25, 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug 60-Piece Standard Unit Blocks (Toy)
These really are 5 1/2 x 2 3/4 x 1 3/8 "standard unit block" sized (I just measured). This measures the same as the Caroline Pratt standard (from 1900's!) which Beka and OldFashioned blocks uses (and probably several others as well). Which means you'll likely be compatible with those sets if you buy this M&D set. (not sure if M&D ever change their "standard", or if other brands do... so measure to be sure! also, there could be small tolerance differences so if you worry, just get them all from one place).

I have read (at the OldFashioned Blocks website) that M&D blocks are made from RubberWood, which comes from old Latex plantations in Asia. The side of the M&D box says Thailand, but let's be certain: the quality is _nice_, just as I would hope for and expect for a nice set of hardwood blocks. I love these. And the price is right. So ... unless you want to buy "made in America" only, save your money, these blocks are nice, real hardwood, and the wood is left natural with no chemicals to finish them.

There is no chemical smell like some other reviewers said. Maybe there is a faint smell of lumber... Nothing that wont fade after a while. There is _no_ paint or laquer on the blocks, completely natural. They feel slightly dusty, like sawdust, that's ok, makes sense.

The ends of the blocks are completely smooth, not rough at all. No wood pores showing there, except within just a couple of the sanded corners in the whole set.
Overall the woodgrain is very fine and doesn't seem to be susceptible to splintering either. Nice quality here.

They feel heavy and dense (I haven't compared to Maple, but...), and feel hard/durable.
The corners are sanded really nicely. They should be safe to use for kids. No sharp edges.

The wood boxes are really nice as well. The box seems to be made of the same material as the blocks, and are a unit high to boot (so you can use the storage box as something to build upon!). The box is finished nicely, not _as_ rounded as the blocks, but not sharp either, certainly not sharp, nor splintery. maybe you'd like to put the box up so your kids dont fall and split their heads on it since it does sit up high and would be a nice and solid thing to crack your head on ... but really, if they fall and hit it, it's their own fault, accidents happen! (don't blame the toy... sheesh).

The box came filled with blocks AND styrofoam, which is a great idea to leave a little room for dumping the blocks back in (as they take more volume when not perfectly arranged).

I got 4 sets: 2 of the "standard unit blocks" sets, and 2 of the "architectural unit blocks" sets from M&D - 208 blocks total, for $196.60 total and $0 shipping. They make for quite a pile on the floor, and I love the building possibilities here. For me, I wouldn't want any less. For you... maybe the least quantity I would buy is 2 sets of the "standard unit blocks" if I was really on a budget. Certainly you can buy 1 and continue to add on... it's easy.

Rubberwood: Density: 560-640 kg/mt3
Hard Maple/Sugar maple/Rock maple: Density: 720 kg/mt3

Melissa&Doug at 94 cents each block (Chinese hardwood, imported) compared to Beka Blocks at $2.09 each block (which are made of HardMaple, made in USA).
I like the M&D better! Or my wallet does...
To me, it is the worst to run out of blocks when building. So the M&D set lets me get 2x the blocks as the competition for the same price at a comparable quality.
I seriously see no difference in wood quality. The M&D set is really nice, and lets me get more blocks!

I'd like to include a bill of materials here, but I just am too lazy. But I will tell you (from my own memory) it comes with 2 of the 2x unit blocks (nice to know there are really long pieces, though more than 2 would have been nice); no quad unit blocks at all; around 4 of the 1 unit (rectangle) blocks; several 1/2 (square); several 1/4 unit blocks (or 1/2 unit length square 'dowel' however you want to look at it). 4 round dowel unit length columns. 2 arches, and 2 half circles that fit in the arches, and 1 circle cut into 4 quarterrounds (kind of a neat piece to use to finish off a model). 4 ramps (1 unit block cut long ways into a wedge). I may be forgetting some pieces, but that gives you an idea of the Bill Of Materials...

5.0 out of 5 stars An OUTSTANDING gift, December 2, 2004
L. A. Case (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug 60-Piece Standard Unit Blocks (Toy)
Our family received 2 sets of these blocks and they are well worth the money spent. I would highly recommend purchasing 2 sets at once (especially if free shipping is offered as this alone will save you a bundle of $$). This set is top quality (as we have found true of all the Melissa & Doug products we have purchased) and you will not be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars CONTAINS FORMALDEHYDE, January 8, 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug 60-Piece Standard Unit Blocks (Toy)
I bought these for my kids for Christmas and was very disappointed after unwrapping the box to find a formaldehyde notice on the bottom of the box. This chemical offgasses and can be very harmful to health especially children. I am shocked and disturbed that M&D would allow this in their products. I have heard other instances of this brand using toxic paints etc and no longer think of them as the "natural" brand I used to.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best toy I ever bought, December 3, 2006
This review is from: Melissa & Doug 60-Piece Standard Unit Blocks (Toy)
This is a great set of standard unit/kindergarten blocks. They are a bargin at $50 for 60 blocks. I bought these for my oldest boy when he was 3. He is now 6. The blocks still look new. The best part about these blocks is they can be played with any other toy. When he was three they made houses and tunnels to go with Thomas the train. At four they made up the landscape for countless power ranger battles. At five they were the background for star wars. At six they are used for pokemon action figures. My youngest boy, now three, loves them as well. He uses them to run his toy cars and make castles.

We purchased a set for my brother-in-law when his boys where two and three. They are now five and six. They've thrown out just about every toy they had bought when the kids were small, but they still have the blocks. A great toy. Well made. The only toy we have that the kids never seem to outgrow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent price for unit blocks!, February 1, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Melissa & Doug 60-Piece Standard Unit Blocks (Toy)
We bought these blocks for our four year old son. They were a hit! Our 7yod and 2yod enjoy them as well. They are extremely durable and have rounded edges. They are solid blocks and are actual unit blocks instead of small blocks. I was tickled at what I got for the price. We are looking to buy 1-2 more sets so that we have plenty for all of their creations!

Melissa & Doug 60-Piece Standard Unit Blocks