5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy from Melissa and Doug

3.0 out of 5 stars Below par for Melissa & Doug
Published 9 months ago by M. Jarvis

3.0 out of 5 stars Below par for Melissa & Doug, November 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This seems to be a decently fun toy, but it's just a bit below par for Melissa & Doug toys, both in educational value and build quality. Regarding build quality, it seems reasonably solid overall, but there are a couple of significant issues. First, the wheels are cheap plastic on tight axles, so they don't roll freely at all, and they kind of remind me of those on dollar store plastic trucks. Other reviewers have mentioned the back gate; mine isn't overly tight as some apparently are, but the slides on the side are only one ply thick, and one side is already split a little. Educationally, it seems clever at first glance, but since it's a shape sorter designed more like a puzzle, you can put almost any of the animals through almost any of the holes sideways, unlike traditional shape sorters. I guess maybe that contributes to "imaginative play," but it doesn't do much for shape identification and puzzle-solving skills without a lot of parental guidance. I still like Melissa & Doug toys a lot, but this one doesn't quite work for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy from Melissa and Doug, November 5, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love the Melissa and Doug puzzles, and my twins have several of those, so I was very happy to be given the chance to review this shape sorting truck. The little truck is solid wood and is very sturdy - at least sturdy enough to support the weight of a 30 pound toddler. The two drivers (male and female) fit into the front of the truck to drive the zoo truck around and pick up animals. The animals that fit in the back of the truck each has a unique, unusual shape. The animals included are an alligator, zebra, giraffe, lion, rhino, elephant, and hippo. The back of the truck easily slides up to allow the animals to "escape" the truck. My kids especially love using the animals with some of their other farm toys. Like the Green Toys line, I like that Melissa and Doug toys are simple, sturdy, and encourage creative thinking and imaginative play. I have been very pleased with this toy, and I will be adding more Melissa and Doug toys to our family's toy box.

4.0 out of 5 stars Our boy loves it, but build quality is not great, November 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fun toy for the 2+ age group. Our son is over 2 and a half now, and he really enjoys playing with this toy -- finding which animal goes in which shape sorting hole, and also playing with it like a general truck (vroom vroom).

He has sat on it and pushed himself around, much to our consternation and protest. The truck actually held him, and he's a very big boy for 2.5 years. So that speaks to the sturdiness of the build, which is good.

But in comparison with some other toys, Melissa and Doug once again show they are good, yes -- but not great. The boxy design is one thing, but the back door of the truck is another. You need to open the back door to get the animals out, and it's not easy sometimes because the wood can get stuck -- this is not equipment built to precision tolerances. The door gets stuck halfway up and you have to use force to get it to come out, so you pull hard and it comes out really fast. That kind of thing. And then getting that sliding door back in its groove to close again is not easy for the intended 2+ age group -- it requires a lot more coordination.

And then there is the quality of the wood and paint on the figures of the animals and people. We use this mainly on carpet, but pieces may fall occasionally on the hardwood floor or tabletop. Seeing as we've had it for less than a month, the paint has chipped off the figures in a surprisingly large number of places. I would expect them to hold up better. We have not abused this toy by a long length (OK, except for our son sitting on it, which is bad -- but which won't cause paint to chip).

So yes, this is a good toy and the fact that our son loves it makes up for a lot. But we would expect better quality. A good toy that could have been great.

5.0 out of 5 stars APPEARS TO BE A HIT!!, March 6, 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Animal Rescue Shape-Sorting Truck (Toy)
I gave this to my great nephew on his 2nd birthday (he had also received many other nice toys). He couldn't wait to remove the cellophane wrapper and try out all the pieces, at which time his 4-yr-old brother thought it was pretty cool and immediately tried to claim it!! Well made, all solid wood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Fun Toy by Melissa and Doug, November 1, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fun toy that my 2 1/2 year old likes. The animals are so cute and it's fun that they can stand upon their own. The set is well made of attractive wood and the truck is a generous size. There is a sliding door on the back so you can access the inside of the truck and it is easy for my little one to open, but the problem is that you can pull the door all the way out. It's by no means a deal breaker, but I wish the door didn't come all the way out. Once out, it's a bit of a challenge for the youngest children to get it back on the truck. Finally, I think it's interesting that while there are pieces cut out in the exact silhouette of the wooden animals, all you have to do is find a large animal hole in the truck's wall and you can shove all the animals in one at a time sideways. I'm not sure just how many children are using this like a puzzle or shape sorter. But again, not a deal breaker. This toy is a fun addition to our Melissa and Doug collection. It's sure to be enjoyed by children ages 2-4.

5.0 out of 5 stars so cute, December 4, 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Animal Rescue Shape-Sorting Truck (Toy)
love Melissa and Doug. bought this as a gift for a 1.5 year old. he loved it and it incorporated, animals, puzzle and a car, and storage. BRILLIANT!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, January 3, 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Animal Rescue Shape-Sorting Truck (Toy)
I love Melissa and Doug toys. I'm so sick of all the toys that light up and sing, glad that Melissa and Doug continue to make classic wooden toys. Got this for my 20 month old for Christmas and she and my 4 year old both love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, June 18, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Animal Rescue Shape-Sorting Truck (Toy)
My 1 year old daughter loves her little animal truck. She has so much fun playing around the house, she really enjoys playing with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, May 14, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Animal Rescue Shape-Sorting Truck (Toy)
I bought for may little one (nine month) and all my girls (5 years and 10 years) play all the time with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute wooden truck, April 10, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Animal Rescue Shape-Sorting Truck (Toy)
My 3 year old son loves this truck. The back has a "door" that slides up and down and/or can be removed. The little wooden pieces are fun, however you can fit some of the animals through the other holes. Its the great size for my son.

Melissa & Doug Animal Rescue Shape-Sorting Truck