Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

Format: ToyChange

on November 17, 2009
We have a lot of Melissa and Doug items and we're always generally very impressed with them. The cupcake set is great fun and our six year old wanted it so much that she bought it with her own money. To start off with, it's a high quality toy. They're basically wooden cupcakes with candles that velcro on top. The whole concept of the icing markers is fun and all the kids (friends included) enjoy "decorating" the cupcakes. The part you draw on is a sort of plastic lid that fits over the wooden cupcake and is supposed to look like icing. It even comes with a little baking tin (wooden) and an oven mitt. There are paper cupcake liners in fun patterns included that aren't going to last forever, but hey...they are paper. We've generally got liners in the pantry so that's not a huge deal.

The big flaw in this toy is that the wooden cupcakes are not finished in a type of paint that will allow you to wipe the dry erase marker off of them. Only the plastic "icing" can be erased. Admittedly if you look at the very fine print on the back of the box it reads "Markers are intended for wipe-off icing surfaces only. Do not use markers on other components." Realistically however, giving kids some dry erase markers and letting them go to town on pretend cupcakes, is going to result in the entire cupcake getting "decorated." In the scheme of things it doesn't really matter because my daughter loves them anyway, but it does keep me from giving this toy Melissa and Doug's usual high approval rating. If this is something that is going to upset you or your child, you'd be better off buying another of their products.
33 comments165 of 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2009
My daughter received this gift for her 3rd birthday party and LOVES it. The only problem, there's no warning on the box that states the markers will ruin clothing. A little bit of the marker got on her handmade birthday dress and does not come out, so now the dress is ruined. I have now purchased a set of washable markers and they work like a charm. Yes, they get a little bit more on her hands, but just run the plastic frosting under water and it's all cleaned. No more need for paper towels and the "icing markers" are now put away for good. But, I do love the concept of this toy, the markers need some improving though.
33 comments92 of 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2010
My daughter got this for her birthday a few days ago. She's been playing with it nonstop, so I think it does have great entertainment value. However, the markers are not washable nor does the package state that the markers are permanent or provide any kind of washing instructions. I assumed since this is a toy for kids, that the markers would be washable. If I had known they weren't, I would have made her wear a smock and play with them at the table. She ruined a $20 princess nightgown and Gymboree shirt and her baby sister got a hold of one of them and decorated the chair. I'm going to replace the markers with washable ones for now. But I would advise anyone considering this product to immediately throw away the markers. The birthday set has the same entertainment value without the mess. We have that one and they've been playing with it for over a year now.
0Comment39 of 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2009
We are very big fans of Melissa and Doug toys so when this new cupcake set came out we were anxious to play with it.
It's another quality wood toy like all of their other play food toys (cookies, cake, pizza, cutting box). My hesitation on not giving it 5 stars would be the cupcake liners are very flimsy, pretty much what you would buy in a store to bake a cupcake. Those will not hold up to heavy play. I love the idea of the markers in "icing tubes" but once the ink runs dry on these you loose the play value of being able to decorate the tops with icing/markers. Also, with all M&D toys now there is no lid or keep tight storage container for all the pieces.
0Comment17 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2010
I thought this was the cutest toy ever the day we received it. My daughter had a blast coloring the heck out of the cupcakes and giving them to us. It never occurred to me that the markers were not washable. Alas, my daughter's favorite pants, no matter what treatment I use on them, have marker stains all over. I also have a couple of spots on the carpet I am trying to remove without luck so far. If you put your kid in an art smock and put down paper where they play with this set, then this is a cool toy!
on October 25, 2009
Got this for the 2 year old's birthday. Big sis who is almost nine couldn't wait to play also. 2 year old loves to play cook and feed. 8 year old loves to decorate the cakes. I like that we can decorate too, but not make such a mess in the kitchen. They're also 0 grams of fat per serving.
on February 12, 2010
First, let me begin by echoing a couple of the complaints noted by other reviewers--the markers stain and the paper cups are flimsy. If you have an older, more mature child, the markers are fine (and adorable, to boot!). My 2 year old's clothing has only been victim to one stray mark in the 3 months that we have owned this set. Furthermore, if marker gets on the wooden part of the cupcake or begins to discolor the 'icing' it can be returned to 'like new' condition with the all-powerful Mr. Clean Magic Eraser--It will not come off with soap and water alone. On the other hand, if your child is on the messy side, ditch the markers and get some washable dry erase markers.
Despite its flaws, this is an adorable playset that offers lots of interaction and educational opportunities (e.g. ask your child to make you a chocolate cupcake with pink icing and green sprinkles). My nearly 5 year old son can't even resist joining in the fun. This is yet another unique, imagination-inspiring product from M&D. Happy Baking!!
0Comment11 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 27, 2010
My 2 year old received this for her Birthday from a friend of mine, I saved opening it until the day before her party when I was making the cupcakes for our guests. This was a great gift, yet I was not ready for the markers but they take nothing away from the fun of the cupcakes. The cupcake pan, real cupcake liners, and oven mitt add to the fun as well as the candles, the fun of changing out the cupcakes and the toppings. We did have one split, but I have not heard back from Melissa and Doug on what they do to resolve, so I may update post their reply.
Overall, this is one of the best gifts, the kids from 2 to 9 played with this the whole time, it never lost any appeal.
on December 27, 2009
I LOVE Melissa and Doug toys. We have so many of the food sets that I can't even count them anymore. So I was excited for these; the concept is cute, but the markers make this a toy I have to supervise. Another reviewer pointed out that the markers only wipe off the plastic frosting, not the wooden cupcake bottoms. We discovered that as well. And if a cupcake is left decorated for a few hours, even the plastic is nearly impossible to get clean. I have already scrubbed the markers off more times than I care to, and the tops are stained. I hope the kids forget about the markers and just play with the rest of the set.
on December 15, 2010
I recently purchased this for my 18 month old daughter. She plays with most of the pieces, minus the markers (don't trust her with those yet). It really helps her with her hand eye coordination in terms of stacking the pieces together. Her favorite part is putting the candles in the top (they adhere with velcro). As others have mentioned, the only drawback to this set are the paper cupcake cups that come with it--those were destroyed within 20 minutes. Overall, very happy with this toy and know that it will last for years to come, as long as we don't lose all of the pieces.