5.0 out of 5 stars Toddler Approved
My toddler got this as a Christmas present and likes the bright colors, gears, and matching.
From his point of view:
Published 10 months ago by GingerJade

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made, but not much play value for age 2 and up.
Published 3 months ago by Mrs Happy

5.0 out of 5 stars Toddler Approved, February 6, 2014
From his point of view:
I like to throw them, so it helps that they aren't solid pieces (that would hurt Mama). The plastic is good quality that doesn't show teething and wears nicely as a hat as well. The long skinny piece is also fun to use to try and reach things on forbidden counters. The plastic gears fit on my fingers as hats and make colorful pretend cookies (but they don't fit in my Cookie Monster's mouth, which is disappointing).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wide age range and excellent quality, January 26, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Caterpillar Gear Toy (Toy)
We bought this for Christmas for my then 7 month old, and it has been her favorite toy hands-down. She loves to put the gears and wood in her mouth and the gears are the perfect size; plenty large enough for no choking concerns. The quality of the wood is what impressed me the most as I've found the wood quality of other Melissa & Doug items to be lacking. This is smooth, well-constructed wood, and the gear motion is excellent quality. As a former early childhood teacher, gears are great for developing problem-solving skills. Best toy we have for our 8 month old and she'll be able to enjoy it and learn from it for many months to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars our 19 month old loves it, January 10, 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Caterpillar Gear Toy (Toy)
We gave this to our 19 month old son for Christmas, and it is now one of his favorite toys. He plays with it almost everyday.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple yet wonderful, November 12, 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Caterpillar Gear Toy (Toy)
We bought this for our daughter when she was a year old. At first it was fun for her to hit the gears and make them spin. And of course, take the gears off and chew on them as with any toy at that age. Then it became a great toy for learning how to put simple items back together. Not long after that we used it to help learn colors and matching colors (gears to their pegs). Now, at 2, she not only has all six colors in her vocabulary, but she also has the words "gears" and "caterpillar" in her vocabulary. Great toy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good with one small flaw, September 7, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Caterpillar Gear Toy (Toy)
It's a very good toy, it gets dinged 1 star because it's possible to get the gears to sit in a position where they won't turn - the gears are hollow on the underside and they can be stuck on the peg off center. If the gears were solid(or just had more structure on the underside) this wouldn't happen. My 18 month old gets frustrated when she puts them on, turns it, and it doesn't work because one of them is off center(and unless I fix it she usually just turns to get a different toy).

Otherwise it's great. My daughter takes them off, puts them back on and turns them, and enjoys getting the satisfaction of seeing them all spin. It's good for her coordination and also good for teaching her colors.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful toy, December 30, 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Caterpillar Gear Toy (Toy)
my 19 month old got this toy for xmas and he loves it. he loves to spin the gears and he takes them off and puts them to the matching color. under the gears are little pegs that they attach to. the pegs match the color of the gear in the spot they belong. very educational when it comes to teaching colors. it doesn't have the distraction of electronics.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well made, but not much play value for age 2 and up., September 14, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Caterpillar Gear Toy (Toy)
My granddaughter learned or reinforced her knowledge of colors (she just turned 2 years old), and she likes twirling/spinning the wheels, but that is all the toy offered. I could say "find me red" and she would. I could say "what color is this?" and she would say. I would recommend the toy more for a 18 month old who is just starting to learn colors, motions, realizing that it takes all wheels in place to make the caterpillar move. If you child has already learned those things, then this toy is of no use to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy!, April 19, 2013
happy knitter (Washington state) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Caterpillar Gear Toy (Toy)
Our 15 month old granddaughter is fascinated with this gear toy. The movement interests her, the colors are bright and as she gets a little older,she will be able to match the colors and put the gears back on the pegs. Good toy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, versatile toy!, September 10, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Caterpillar Gear Toy (Toy)
I originally bought this toy because I loved the bright colors and the wooden base--I really didn't have high expectations for it but it has turned out to be a favorite toy! We used it to teach our 18 month old his colors and he still has fun putting the gears in the right spot. Now his 8 month old sister uses the gears as teethers--I have no doubt she'll love the colors too when she's older. No batteries, no music, just a well made toy that has lots of possibilities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy for baby 5 months to about 18 months., December 10, 2014
Tammy (IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Caterpillar Gear Toy (Toy)
My first born received this toy for his first birthday and it was great for a few months before he grew out of it. We started using it with my 2nd child at 5 months old and he loves to chew on the gears. It's great for teething babies. He also likes it when I turn the gears. It is a great toy to occupy a baby for about 10 mins max. I will say my now 3 1/2 year old will play with it with his baby brother, so that is nice as well.

Melissa & Doug Caterpillar Gear Toy