5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THESE! A vast improvement on the older version
We have the older version of this set, the Melissa & Doug Abby & Emma Deluxe Magnetic Dress-Up Set... and this is FAR better. First, let me tell you about this set, and then I'll compare and contrast the two sets.

Published 16 months ago by dinglefest

3.0 out of 5 stars A little fragile
Published 7 months ago by Ann

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THESE! A vast improvement on the older version, August 9, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

This has two wooden dolls: a white (with enough of a tan that Hispanic girls might identify with her) girl with blue eyes and straight brown hair and a yellow polka-dotted tank with matching white underwear and a light-skinned black girl with curly black hait and brown eyes and a pink tank with matching white underwear. They also come with a blue base to stand the dolls up, but my daughter usually plays with them flat. The magnetic clothing options include: six sleeveless dresses/tunics, three short-sleeved dresses/tunics, two pajamas, two one-piece swimsuits, two long-sleeved dresses, five shirts, three skirts, four pairs of pants/capris, one coat, four pairs of sunglasses, six headbands, two pairs of shoes with attached knee socks, one pair of cowboy boots, seven pairs of other shoes, and two pairs of slippers. (I could be missing something, considering I just counted based on what we have right now, and we received these a month ago, so it's possible something has disappeared since then!) The smaller pieces - like shoes and headbands and sunglasses - could be lost easily and could also be a choking/swallowing hazard for smaller children, so please be mindful of that. The clothes are bright colored with varied patterns, but the designers seemed to have been intentional about to mix/match items because lots of matching combos are possible (and some that don't match at all for free-spirited kiddos like mine!).

Now why I like this Chloe & Zoe set better than the older Abby & Emma one: Abby and Emma are WAY skinnier, like super model thin, while Chloe and Zoe are much healthier with a more muscular build, though still lean. Abby and Emma had a couple of less modest options like a bikini and a belly top, and they wore a tank bra and panties; my daughter is hyper-modest (almost a prude!), so this bothered her, and I wasn't a huge fan either. The darker skinned one in the Abby/Emma set was lighter than my coffee... which says a lot since I have a little coffee with my creamer. :) The old set just has black circles for eyes instead of more realistic ones. And if you think the accessories are small on the Chloe and Zoe set, you'd hate the teensy tiny shoes and other items for Emma and Abby. Plus, as a tomboy, I like the box and base in this set being blue and yellow instead of pink, though that's just a personal preference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun dress up dolls, July 13, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter likes to play with this. Here is why.

1. The dolls and accessories are sturdy and well constructed. It is easy to stand the dolls up in the included stands. I agree with another review that the magnets could be a little stronger, but they work. The accessories are very colorful. Lots of different outfits are possible.

2. However, for just two dolls, there are way too many pieces. My granddaughter would be happy with just half the amount of pieces and generally that's all she uses.

3. This comes in a sturdy wooden box with compartments to hold the dolls and all the different pieces. That's nice. But there is no cover! We brought this on vacation and used a Ziplock bag to transport all the pieces.

Bottom line: My granddaughter enjoys playing with this, but not as much as some of her other Melissa & Doug toys.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little fragile, May 22, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Chloe & Zoe - Magnetic Dress Up (Toy)
The dolls and the clothes are pretty and are just the right size. There are many varieties of clothing articles in different colours and designs. The only problem is that the pictures on the dolls chip quite easily. There's already a tear on one of the dolls after my child spilled very little water on it. The wood that is backing the picture of the doll is sturdy but it seems to me the picture of the doll was printed on flimsy material that tear easily. One of the hair bands is also defective because of the way the wood was cut. Overall, my child likes it but I wish the quality was better.

5.0 out of 5 stars My granddaughters LOVE to dress Chloe and Zoe!, July 21, 2013
Soozie4Him (Chicago suburbs) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had 4 of my granddaughters play with this toy and they all LOVE it! I have a 5 year old, a 4 year old, and two 2 year olds, and this toy is a hit with all of them! The reason that Melissa & Doug says that this toy is for age 3 and up is that the headbands, sunglasses, and shoes are all very small. You know your child - if your little girl puts things in her mouth still, then you could either put the small pieces away until she is older, or not give her this toy yet. My 2 year olds don't put things in their mouth, and they LOVED putting shoes and sunglasses and headbands on Chloe and Zoe to match the outfits (or to NOT match the outfits!).

There are pajamas, swimsuits, dressy clothes, and play clothes for Chloe and Zoe - LOTS of changes of clothes! I found that the girls would dress the dolls with them flat, then put them in the stands (the 2 year olds needed help with this part) once they were fully dressed.

Melissa & Doug toys are wonderful and well-thought-out with the exception of ONE thing. Most of them are not easily stored. This one has a lovely wood yellow box with adequate spaces for everything, but there is no TOP! My daughter says she stores toys like this in a Sterlite box that is easy for her girls to open. I would love to see M&D address this issue as it is a "problem" with so many of their toys! I didn't want to take a star off this review, though, because the toy is AWESOME. It's just that the pieces could easily be lost or scattered if you don't figure out an alternative for storing everything.

I highly recommend this toy for a wide age range of little girls!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Melissa and Doug Toys, June 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Melissa and Dog make wonderful toys. They are well made and very durable. They always give attention to detail and this little set is no different. I purchased the first set of magnetic dolls from them many years ago and we still have them. This little set is more compact and quite a bit different. The first set 's dolls were either adult or older teen figures while these are little girls. The set gives the child lots of different outfits and combinations. I would say this would be really entertaining for ages 5 and under. The clothing sticks to the doll by magnet so it is very easy for the child to change the clothes. Be aware that there are a number of very tiny parts (shoes, hair accessories) and I would like to see the magnets a little stronger. But overall this is a great play set that should give a lot of hours of enjoyment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun toy for on the go, August 9, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I use this to throw into a suitcase when we are going to travel. It can lay pretty flat. There are a lot of little pieces (like shoes, headbands, etc.), so keep a ziplock bag handy to put those inside. There are two dolls to dress with the magnetic clothing. The dolls are chunky, so smaller hands (age 3 and up) should have no problem with this toy. My 5 year old daughter enjoys playing with it and even her twin brother will get in on the action. I only take it out for travel mainly because there is a limit of clothing and it can get boring; but it a great if you do toy rotation.
It would also make a great birthday gift for a child. Would definitely recommend for the 3 - 6 age category.

3.0 out of 5 stars Done in three minutes !, July 18, 2013
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This toy is made well. I'm sure it would be good for some children. It just did not go over well in our house. My little girl (three next month) LOVES to dress up, so I thought maybe she would like this one. She only played with it about three minutes and was bored with it. I love Melissa and Doug toys, so I was quite disappointed. She has a hard time manipulating little doll clothes, so I thought that being able to dress these with magnets would be a good idea. She just didn't enjoy it at all. It's such a shame!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for my 3-year-old, July 25, 2013
G. Dawson (United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My three-year-old daughter enjoys playing with these dress-up figures and getting them ready to go to the beach or to a party. She particularly enjoys the wide variety of shoes and the sunglasses. The wooden figures are sturdy and well-made. My one suggestion would be to make the magnets stronger so that some layering of clothes is possible. With the weak magnets, only one layer will stick to the figures, and this is frustrating for my daughter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Niece loves it!, August 1, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I gave this toy to my 2-year-old niece to play with one afternoon and it was a big hit! She's a little young for it still, I think, but she understood the concept of dressing the dolls (I can't promise the pants and shirts were in the right places though). Lots of choices for clothing and the pieces were durable enough to be dropped on the floor without a problem. The price is great too.

Another winner from Melissa and Doug!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great tool, wish it had a lid, August 27, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Chloe & Zoe - Magnetic Dress Up (Toy)
These are wonderful! I am a therapist and I use them with my clients. Clients ages 3 to even 9 years old are interested in playing with them. I'm glad they make a product that is ethnically diverse. I was also impressed how durable they actually are. I do wish they were in some sort of container with a lid. If it knocks over all the pieces go everywhere because there isn't a lid.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›