Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on October 20, 2010
Bought this Melissa and Doug Kitchen along with the Plan Refrigerator. Had thought about buying all Plan for our 2 yr little girl, but cost more than we were willing to spend. Worked out great. The Cook's corner kitchen had everything she needed(minus the fridge) and was a lot less expensive. Although is appears to be built from some sort of high quality plywood...it is sturdy and looks nice. Though probably not as high end as some of the Plan products...Melissa and Doug has quite remarkable customer service and an overall good quality product....Nice to be able to trust the company you buy your child's toy's from.
0Comment|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2010
i wanted to get my boys a kitchen because they absolutely love their melissa and doug food toys, but many kitchens are made of plastic, or aren't a unisex color scheme. i also worried about the fact that my boys are big for their age and i didn't want them hunching over a mini kitchen especially one with a large upper area which would take up space in my house AND possibly bonk them in the head (they are boys after all and tend to wrestle for stove-top space). this has worked out wonderfully and considering that i got it on sale at toys r us before i could find it anywhere online (even for picture reference) i'm glad i got it before the prices went up! the only thing my oldest son is missing is the refrigerator... and i plan to buy him a separate one to help store all the food toys he's accumulated (everyone knows that's what he likes because he insists on cooking for everyone who walks in our door). and it's easily going to last through to my third son who's still a baby, and probably past that when i undoubtedly use it for my future daycare.

overall a great buy. my boys love it, it has great basics, doesn't take up too much space, but is a good height for everyone. it's a hit with any kid who comes over and i give the melissa and doug birthday cake as a gift to most toddlers! :)
review image review image
33 comments|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 4, 2011
There are two reasons I gave this four stars instead of five.

I ordered this kitchen because I was looking for something inexpensive that was small and WOODEN. On the Melissa and Doug website, and on Amazon, this kitchen was advertised as wooden, so I purchased it. However, when I received it and put it together, I discovered that, although the side panels look like wood, the only parts of it that are really wood are the handles for the stove and cabinet and the poles that hold the shelf up.

The other reason I gave this four stars is because not all of the screw holes line up. You have to leave all of the screws loose and then wrench it together to get it all to fit. I even had to chisel the back shelf to get the panel to fit into the grooves so that it would slide down.

All that being said, however, I really like this kitchen, and I think it is high quality once it is put together.

Once it was all put together, chiseling and all, it looks really nice,and is very realistic. The sink bowl is deeper than most plastic kitchens, so my daughter can pretend to wash dishes. However, you might want to double-stick the sink down so it does not get lost because it just sits in the groove. This is a plus however because you can wash it out occasionally.

My daughter LOVES the timer because it really works, and she can pretend to cook. Plus, it is attached, so it doesn't get lost.

The product is made of high quality MDF, and it looks pretty real even if it is not.

About 2-1/2 feet wide and 2 feet tall, this product is small enough for my daughter's tiny bedroom and light enough to carry into the living room.

One other piece of useful information:

The oven is very small. I purchased theMelissa & Doug Slice and Bake Cookie Setand you have to turn the pan just so to fit it in the oven. Likewise, the cabinet is too small to fit the large crate from the Just Slice It Wooden Play Food Set. If you are looking for small, this might not be bad, but I thought it was useful information.
0Comment|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2012
My mother purchased this product for our 1 yr old son and immediately we knew we had to return it. When we removed the item from the box my husband, who works with these toxic materials at a cabinet shop, could smell the MDF product that the kitchen is made from. Below is a description of MDF. Please inform yourself! This is toxic stuff and should never be used in children's toys.

Medium-density fibreboard (MDF) is an engineered wood product formed by breaking down hardwood or softwood residuals into wood fibres, often in a defibrator, combining it with wax and a resin binder, and forming panels by applying high temperature and pressure.[1] MDF is denser than plywood. It is made up of separated fibres, but can be used as a building material similar in application to plywood. It is stronger and much more dense than normal particle board. When MDF is cut a large quantity of dust particles are released into the air. It is important that a respirator be worn and the material be cut in a controlled and ventilated environment. It is a good practice to seal the exposed edges to limit the emissions from the binders contained in this material.

Formaldehyde resins are commonly used to bind MDF together, and testing has consistently revealed that MDF products emit urea-formaldehyde and other volatile organic compounds that pose health risks at sufficient concentrations, for at least several months after manufacture.[4][5][6] Urea-formaldehyde is always being slowly released from the surface of MDF. When painting it is good idea to coat all sides of the finished piece in order to seal in the urea-formaldehyde. Wax and oil finishes may be used as finishes but they are less effective at sealing in the urea-formaldehyde.[2]

Whether these constant emissions of formaldehyde reach harmful levels in real-world environments is not yet fully determined. The primary concern is for the industries using formaldehyde. As far back as 1987 the U.S. EPA classified it as a "probable human carcinogen" and after more studies the WHO International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), in 1995, also classified it as a "probable human carcinogen". Further information and evaluation of all known data led the IARC to reclassify formaldehyde as a "known human carcinogen"[7] associated with nasal sinus cancer and nasopharyngeal cancer, and possibly with leukaemia in June 2004.[8]
1717 comments|152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2011
UPSIDES: Seems to have captured the imagination of a 19-month-old girl, despite the recommendation for ages 3+! Lots of things to turn, open and close. Sturdy and attractive. Straightforward assembly with all the nuts, bolts and screws in individually numbered bags. Sheet enclosed in the box detailing the checks performed by their quality control department before shipping.

DOWNSIDES: Long assembly time (2 hours and 15 minutes). Notably strong off-gassing of the construction materials. Oven door does not close completely due to an inner shelf which was cut about 2 mm too large.

NOTE ON THE MATERIAL USED: Appears to be a wood particle-based composite material. This is an engineered wood product, NOT ACTUAL SOLID WOOD! I was very surprised by this since the product claims to be wooden. This could be an advantage in some ways, since composite wood can be stronger and lighter than solid wood. However, the engineered wood smelled very strongly during unpacking, assembly and for a week afterward. Naturally, I am worried about VOC off-gassing, especially for the person assembling the product and for any small children exposed to the chemicals in the air. I would like to challenge the manufacturer to publish the list of raw materials used in the manufacturing process in the product description.
on June 24, 2011
This is our second play kitchen. The first was a wooden one that was beautiful, but too small for two children to play at. I found this one at Toys R Us on clearance and am so glad we got it. It's perfect. I've had it for about a year now, and my boys play with it every day, always have. It easily fits two children (mine are 2 and 4 yrs old), it's very well made, and even though my boys are rough with it at times, and bang on it, it still looks like new and holds together perfectly.

The ONLY downside is that items (pretend food, pretend spices, etc) fall off the back of it easily. If there was a board behind it that kept things from falling behind it, that would be ideal. But really, how hard is it to bend down and pick up a few toys once a day?

I highly recommend this kitchen. It's easy on the eyes, not so large that it's obnoxious, adorable and kids love it. You won't regret buying it.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 3, 2014
We first returned one as the box had been destroyed in transit. got sent another one which i put together but has several parts that are dented/scratched etc. one door doesn't hang 100% correctly and like many people stated here it STINKS very chemical formaldehyde odurs yuck! It was fairly labor intensive to put together as well but was at least somewhat prepared for that.

we had to bag giving it to the kid for his birthday as no way i'm letting him close to something that smells like that. not really sure how to proceed now but as cool as it looks the smell, lack of quality control etc. suck. didn't even mention the stacks of Styrofoam and plastic bags it came with

very disappointed in this and in Melissa and Doug. I really expect better from them
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear Amazon Customer-
Thank you for your comments on the Cooks Corner Kitchen. I would love to speak with you to get some additional information and to help you with this. Please call me at #800-284-3948.
Thanks!
Beth Miller
on October 13, 2013
This kitchen is described as wooden, but it's actually made from MDF (medium-density fiberboard), which gives off a foul chemical smell. The kitchen is described as sturdy, also misleading. The paint is prone to chipping off during assembly (which incidentally takes an interminably long time), and if positioned only slightly askew, a screw can easily emerge through the outer layer of the MDF, creating an area that is rough on little fingers.
on January 3, 2013
The toy is as cute as can be, and I'm sure my grandchild will love it. It seems to be quality construction. However, it took over three hours to put together, and I am somewhat handy and have put flat-box shipping stuff together before. Maybe if I made no missteps it could be done in three hours. Good luck. If third world assembly labor is your thing, maybe you will think its fun.

Do not buy this as a present unless you put it together. That would be a cruel joke on the unsuspecting parents.
on January 21, 2014
I haven't yet given it to our boys because its not yet their birthday; however, I know they will love it. It is well made and looks good once assembled. After opening the package, which should say "open here!" because if you open at top or bottom, smaller ends, it creates a Styrofoam mess. That being said, it is a NIGHTMARE to assemble. I've built closets from wood, window seats with storage below, and many other projects so, Im no stranger to this type of thing. I've put together the boys wooden balance bikes and other items, too. Not only does it come with 2 dozen or so pieces of wood but also another 20 small bags of screw, nuts, etc. Directions are ok but not great because its a bit complicated with so many parts and pieces. I twice had to take it apart and start over. I'm glad its done but would NEVER do it again or recommend it to friends. I wish they gave an option to pay a little more to have it arrive pre-assembled. It would be totally worth it! Frustrated with the process but like the end results. So will my kids. I had to give 3 stars because of the assembly but the product itself deserves 4 or maybe even 5 stars.