5.0 out of 5 stars Great for creative play
I bought this for my daughter's fourth birthday because I remembered similar big red blocks from my own kindergarten years. It has been her favorite present. She has built towers, beds for her stuffed animals, hurdles, set up a restaurant table and chairs for her dolls, and more. It's a classic toy, great for creative play.

I do wish it had more of the big red...
Published on November 8, 2006 by Deborah Lockridge

Published on June 19, 2010 by L

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the blocks, but not a great price for the variety of sizes, June 19, 2010
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks (40 pc) (Toy)
I wish I would have known the quantities of each size block before ordering, because I probably would have chose another set. I was thinking that there were going to be more of the larger red blocks in this set than were actually included, and with the sizes that we received it's hard for my kids to build anything very large. There are 8 red blocks, 8 blue blocks and 24 of the pretty much useless little yellow blocks. I love how durable they are, but this set just isn't a very good mix of the sizes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for creative play, November 8, 2006
Deborah Lockridge (Birmingham, AL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks (40 pc) (Toy)

I do wish it had more of the big red blocks; the vast majority are the small yellow ones. And you do have to assemble the blocks, which is not too difficult if you have two people to do it. It really takes more than two hands.

4.0 out of 5 stars 6 + 6 does not = 12 (sizing a little off), December 18, 2007
khill29 (Tampa, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks (40 pc) (Toy)
I wouldn't knock this toy for its play value. Just about every night my 22 mo. old asks me to build with him. He loves to create towers with tunnels for his trains and vehicles to go through. These blocks are really fabulous for their value in creative play. My issue is that they are not perfectly unit sized as advertised. You cannot stack two blue blocks next to a vertically placed red block and expect the three blocks to make a flat base for the addition of more blocks. Two blues (or two yellows) are slightly shorter than one red. There are still tons of opportunities for imaginative building but this issue does limit the possibilities.

Also, although the blocks are surprisingly sturdy, light, and delightfully fun for toddlers to knock over, fall into, run through, etc.; they have relatively sharp corners. My son has been scratched - no blood but enough pain to cause tears - on one or two occasions. He is now a bit more tempered in his exhuberance because of these experiences, but the potential is still there. So every time he gets excited and wants to "topple and tackle" the blocks we have a talk about the sharp corners and he calms down a bit.

I mention these issues primarily to provide some balance to the other glowing reviews. I still love the blocks and would highly recommend them, hence the four stars. - Just know there are a few limitations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Responding to crazy, November 25, 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks (40 pc) (Toy)
Just had to reply to the review written by the crazy lady who was shocked that the blocks weren't put together. Do you have any idea how expensive shipping would be?! This is not a lie- its on the box ( and given the sizE of the blocks vs the size of the box , werent you tipped off?!) And your grandson was devastated? You were ashamed?

Your life is way too sheltered. I'd hate to see how you'd handle actual tragedy.

Blocks are great- versatile and light for picking up when play is done. Lots of adventures in our house:)

5.0 out of 5 stars Melissa & Doug blocks, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks (40 pc) (Toy)
My almost 2 yr old grandson loves them. Had one damaged block, called the 800 number for Melissa & Doug and they sent me an entire package of new blocks in the size that the one was damaged. Would and have bought from them again & again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melissa and Doug 40 pc Basic Cardboard Blocks, January 18, 2007
Kim (Watertown, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks (40 pc) (Toy)
I purchased these blocks for my one year-old grandchild, whom I watch everyday during the week. He LOVED them! Actually, all of my grandkids from ages 1 through 8 had a blast playing with these blocks when they came over for Christmas. I ordered the 12-piece set of jumbo blocks to supplement the 40 piece basic set. I highly recommend getting both sets so that your kids have enough pieces in all sizes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent toy to let your little one use their imagination, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks (40 pc) (Toy)
My son had these same blocks when he was little and they never wore out, I was amazed that these same blocks were still available for purchase. My son who is 30 was even excited when they came in the mail. These blocks are the most incredibly strong toy to be made out of cardboard that it is unbelievable! I would definitely recommend these blocks for your little one, my son played with his for 10 years and they never broke and to tell you the truth at 30 i think he may still be playing with them!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these blocks., February 14, 2007
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks (40 pc) (Toy)
The best toys are open-ended, to let kids use their imaginations when they play with them, and these blocks are just the ticket. I had these blocks as a child, my daughter had a set when she was little, I use them in the classrooms at my child development center, and now my nephew is enjoying his set. There are enough in the set to let kids build really big structures - a fort large enough to hide in, a very tall wall, etc. If you can only get a kid one gift, this is a great one to choose.

3.0 out of 5 stars 40 BLOCKS IS NOT ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, January 19, 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks (40 pc) (Toy)
I got 2 set of these blocks so 80 total. It sounds like a lot right? Not really....Since most of them are small there is not even enough blocks to build a fort or something like that. They are not bad, ok quality(my friend has a ToysRus brand and they seam to be more glossier than M and D).My boys mostly play with jumbo ones, so little ones end up in the corner. I wish I would've bought 32 BIG RED BLOCKS for the same price since that's what 80 M and D ones measure up to be.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, December 26, 2009
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks (40 pc) (Toy)
Far too many small boxes. Not enough big boxes. Costs way more than it is worth.

Melissa & Doug Deluxe Jumbo Cardboard Blocks (40 pc)
$39.99 $34.17