Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 19, 2010
I wish I would have known the quantities of each size block before ordering, because I probably would have chose another set. I was thinking that there were going to be more of the larger red blocks in this set than were actually included, and with the sizes that we received it's hard for my kids to build anything very large. There are 8 red blocks, 8 blue blocks and 24 of the pretty much useless little yellow blocks. I love how durable they are, but this set just isn't a very good mix of the sizes.
11 comment| 207 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2006
I bought this for my daughter's fourth birthday because I remembered similar big red blocks from my own kindergarten years. It has been her favorite present. She has built towers, beds for her stuffed animals, hurdles, set up a restaurant table and chairs for her dolls, and more. It's a classic toy, great for creative play.

I do wish it had more of the big red blocks; the vast majority are the small yellow ones. And you do have to assemble the blocks, which is not too difficult if you have two people to do it. It really takes more than two hands.
11 comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2007
I wouldn't knock this toy for its play value. Just about every night my 22 mo. old asks me to build with him. He loves to create towers with tunnels for his trains and vehicles to go through. These blocks are really fabulous for their value in creative play. My issue is that they are not perfectly unit sized as advertised. You cannot stack two blue blocks next to a vertically placed red block and expect the three blocks to make a flat base for the addition of more blocks. Two blues (or two yellows) are slightly shorter than one red. There are still tons of opportunities for imaginative building but this issue does limit the possibilities.

Also, although the blocks are surprisingly sturdy, light, and delightfully fun for toddlers to knock over, fall into, run through, etc.; they have relatively sharp corners. My son has been scratched - no blood but enough pain to cause tears - on one or two occasions. He is now a bit more tempered in his exhuberance because of these experiences, but the potential is still there. So every time he gets excited and wants to "topple and tackle" the blocks we have a talk about the sharp corners and he calms down a bit.

I mention these issues primarily to provide some balance to the other glowing reviews. I still love the blocks and would highly recommend them, hence the four stars. - Just know there are a few limitations.
on September 3, 2014
If i ever meet Melissa & Doug, I'm going to sit them down and give them this box and for an hour I will watch them assemble the hell they have created. How this seemingly innocent and constructive toy, stole an hour of my life on that fateful Christmas morning, i do not know.

It all started on the 25th of December, my son, 2 at the time was drawn to the biggest box, tearing into the paper like maniac he was overjoyed to see the Melissa & Doug logo. He asked me to build a castle, to which i gleefully obliged. So i grabbed a glass of adult Egg Nog and opened the box. It was at that moment, a moment that remains with me to this day, where i saw a horrific fate, 40 unassembled blocks with perforated and deliberate patterns on each. A new design for each color, a new horror to be learned, for each size.

Now I know what you're thinking, "Bro, Big deal, 40 blocks, no problem, I can do that while doing my dead lifts!"

WRONG!

From the dark union of rubik's cube and japanese origami, the Jumbo Blocks were born. I can only imagine what nightmares were manifested in Melissa and Doug's creation of these life stealing blocks. Like Neil Armstrong taking that fateful step, panicking, i gazed into the dark abyss i knew was before me. My son staring at me, a single tear travels down my cheek. I embark on my destiny.

An hour would go by. A pack of Dunhills and a fifth of Egg Nog later, I completed my journey. No thanks to Melissa & Doug. My son overjoyed with his new "toy", unaware of the pieces of soul which was captured with each blocks assembly. He stacked the blocks playfully, violently smashing them to the floor. I watch, helpless, evil from each block stares at me mocking me to this day.
55 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 27, 2013
Used these for my son's Angry Birds themed party, they were perfect. the kids a such a great time playing with these durable blocks. they were very easy to assemble and are very sturdy. i would expect nothing less from a Melissa & Doug product.
review image
on November 25, 2013
Just had to reply to the review written by the crazy lady who was shocked that the blocks weren't put together. Do you have any idea how expensive shipping would be?! This is not a lie- its on the box ( and given the sizE of the blocks vs the size of the box , werent you tipped off?!) And your grandson was devastated? You were ashamed?

Your life is way too sheltered. I'd hate to see how you'd handle actual tragedy.

Blocks are great- versatile and light for picking up when play is done. Lots of adventures in our house:)
on January 18, 2007
I purchased these blocks for my one year-old grandchild, whom I watch everyday during the week. He LOVED them! Actually, all of my grandkids from ages 1 through 8 had a blast playing with these blocks when they came over for Christmas. I ordered the 12-piece set of jumbo blocks to supplement the 40 piece basic set. I highly recommend getting both sets so that your kids have enough pieces in all sizes.
on January 9, 2007
My almost 2 yr old grandson loves them. Had one damaged block, called the 800 number for Melissa & Doug and they sent me an entire package of new blocks in the size that the one was damaged. Would and have bought from them again & again.
on December 20, 2013
The blocks are too flimsly .the outside is so slick they will never stack on each other. I ordered blocks from you when my grandchildren were little and they were madeof heavy card board and were not slick ,my grandchildren wanted their cildren to have some blocks like they had . have order twice over the past 20 yrs and was satisified. I am not satisified with the quality of these blocks and will pass the word along
on January 12, 2015
These brought back some childhood memories, some of which I prefer to keep buried:

Build a Super Mario Bros. castle, only to have my brother destroy it and laugh.

Design and build my very own house, only to have my brother destroy it and laugh.

Build a staircase for my action figures, only to have my brother destroy it and laugh.

"Insert anything I ever built", only to have my brother destroy it and laugh.

However, my 5 year old son loves to use wood and boxes to build a "house", so we thought this would be an excellent gift for him. And we were right, he used them first to build a wall to stop his siblings from leaving the living room. I decided not to invite my brother to this party, given past experiences.

The boxes are excellent quality. The kids stood on them with no creasing or collapsing.

Folding the boxes looked a whole lot more confusing than it actually was. It took about 4 minutes for the first one, then once the concept sunk in, it took 20 second each.

We are disappointed that the set included so many of the small, yellow rectangle boxes. They are quite small and do not offer a lot of function by themselves but all together they are useful. We wish the set had more of the larger red boxes. Those are the kind that my broth.. nevermind.