4.0 out of 5 stars Loves it!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:41 Mins
October 6, 2011 - We passed this down to a friend and her daughter LOVES it too. She was walking in no time. I love how stable it is. It keeps them from going too fast and flipping it over. Still love it!

Published on May 6, 2010 by Schmalf

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous! Spent the morning in the ER because of this thing
Published on May 16, 2012 by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Loves it!, May 6, 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Chomp & Clack Alligator Push Toy (Toy)
Length:: 0:41 Mins

May 6, 2010 - My 9 month old daughter LOVES this toy. She is so amazed to be mobile. Right now, she can only manage to push it in a straight line. It seems hard to maneuver for beginning walkers. Luckily, we have an open floor plan so she can go right from the living room through the kitchen into the dining room before she has to stop and turn around. I can see her using this for awhile though... putting dollies on it and pushing them around. She wants to play with it every day and gets upset when she can't.

Durability: So far we have had no problems. I read reviews that complained that the handle bar comes unglued. The version I received has a screw holding the handle bar in place. We've had it for a month and no defects have come about.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous! Spent the morning in the ER because of this thing, May 16, 2012
My son loved this toy when he saw that he could walk with it. It was so cute and he was so cute pushing it. A simple trip and he hit his forehead on the sharp edged spinning fish and left a gash right between his eyes that the Dr said would leave a scar! There was blood everywhere! I see from the reviews that this has happened to others and I can't believe that they haven't fixed it by rounding off the edges since it's a known issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous! Poorly consrtucted., October 8, 2007
I was happy with this until the top bar came loose just a few days after we bought it! My 20 month old fell forward and landed with his neck on one of the vertical parts. It was terrible, and all because their glue didn't hold. If you buy this, please screw the top bar in place so this doesn't happen to you. This is not the only Melissa and Doug toy we have had glue issues with. Not recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars dangerous due to poor quality, July 23, 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
We bought this for my daughter's first birthday and she loved it during the first week she played with it. However, wooden slivers from the plywood side panel began flaking and breaking off almost immediately. Each broken piece is about an inch long and incredibly dangerous. We have taken it away from her and will be returning it as soon as I have time. What a shame. I previously loved Melissa & Doug products.

2.0 out of 5 stars yikes! splintered wood, falling hazard- who knew?!, September 12, 2008
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
Wow, what a bummer. We have lots of Melissa and Doug toys, and I've always been very happy with their quality and durability. This one however, is shameful! My first clue should have been as I was taking it out of the box, the top layer of cheap wood splintered off. Had I bought it in a store, I'd have taken it right back. This was a birthday present for our daughter though, and bought online, so I thought "Well, it's just one strip of wood." Our child loved this toy right away...that being said, within the first week the entire area of blue wood began splintering off. All over the floor. Not only could my daughter have choked on a piece, but she could have scraped or cut herself, etc.
Cheap craftsmanship aside, my daughter has lost her balance and toppled over the top bar twice, and hit her head on the wooden alligators. Now, the toy didn't cause her to lose her balance, but considering this is a toy made for toddlers, and toddlers tend to topple, wouldn't they have thought of the possible injuries?
Overall, an INCREDIBLE DISAPPOINTMENT and I'm sorry to say that it's made me a little wary of Melissa and Doug toys in general.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for tall babies, November 25, 2011
I have an early walker- at 9 months old- and thought that this would be perfect for him as he walks pushing boxes and his activity table. While this toy is heavy and seems build to last, the problem is the height of the handle. My son is 97th percentile for height and wearing 18-24 month clothes at 9 months. This toy is simply too short for him now, and I can't imagine a taller baby having much luck at 1 year of age or older.

If your child isn't the jolly green giant, I highly recommend this product. If you are raising a future basketball player you may want to pass. I am sadly shipping our push toy back to Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars This toy has broken twice..., December 26, 2007
My mother in law bought this toy for our 1 yr old daughter and one of the side alligators broke off almost immediately. We returned the toy, and got a replacement and the same thing happened with the center alligator. I can't understand why this keeps happening, but we will ask for a refund instead of a replacement. Although she likes pushing it around, this toy is bad news on functioning properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars clackclackclackclack, October 8, 2009
Matthew Alexander (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I first saw this toy being enthusiastically pushed around by a small toddler at a warehouse art show and I knew I had to get one for my own. It's colorful, amusing, and just slightly menacing (in a playful way.)

The one comment I would have is that it's probably most useful at the early end of the recommended age range, when the child is walking, but needs a little extra confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter LOVES this toy, June 21, 2007
Suzanne (Charlotte, NC USA) - See all my reviews
My daughter got this toy for Christams when she was 8 months old. By 9 months she was crusing around the house with it...doing laps. She is now 15 months old and can walk but she still loves to play with this toy. It is durable and the rubber on the wheels means it doesn't take off when it hits none carpeted surfaces

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Experience, June 5, 2011
Our son's experience with this toy has been exceptional. First it has accelerated his ambitions to walk. He is 11 months old now and before the toy was doing his share of cruising but nothing like what this toy has allowed him to do. He runs back and forth across the house with a huge smile on his face and loving that he can now walk with a little assistance.

Next, I was a bit worried at first about the handle for the toy being straight up and down, but come to find out this makes it much easier for him to walk with it. If it would have the angled handle like most other toys it would consistently want to push out from underneath him as he walked. The straight handle allows him to decide when to push it or not.

Last and most important to me, is the noise. It is loud enough to get his attention and make him want to continue pushing it, but not loud enough to be a "that" annoying toy. There is no high pitch squealing or sirens... just wood hitting against itself and it is very tolerable.

Last and not least, NO BATTERIES!

So far this has been his favorite and most used toy. It brings happiness to both him and us as parents, if you have the chance this toy is well worth the price for the smile on your child's face.

Melissa & Doug Deluxe Chomp & Clack Alligator Push Toy