Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

VINE VOICEon May 12, 2008
My daughter is 9 months old and she loved the Melissa and Doug Fill and Spill Lunchbox so much that I bought her this as well. This is as good - maybe even better - than the lunch box.

The bugs all have at least one "manipulative" element:
- grasshopper - legs to grab, corduroy tummy, knotty antenna, crinkly wings, rattler
- spider - lots of legs to grab, corduroy tummy, jingly thing
- lady bug - crinkly wings, corduroy tummy, knotty antenna, squeeker
- butterfly - crinkly wings, corduroy tummy, knotty antenna, rattler

The "jar" also has a mesh fabric top (like a real bug jar) which is another sensory element that adds to the fun. My daughter loves pulling all the bugs out of the jar one by one and then offering them to my husband or I so she can have a free hand to pull out another one.

This is my new go-to present for all 1st birthday parties!
on September 24, 2008
Do Melissa and Doug ever strike out??? Not this time!!! Since I work with developmentally delayed babies and toddlers, I've found this a great toy for the child who likes dump and fill, but would benefit from experience using both hands in a coordinated effort. The cute jug must be held with one hand while the other goes into the jug and pulls out the bug. It takes problem solving and digit strength. The bugs are adorable and very sturdy. Each one has a different attribute (rattle, crinkle, etc.) Also great for play and labeling.
on June 2, 2008
This was a very cute baby gift although make sure you buy it for a baby. I made the mistake of buying it for my 1 year old nephew and he had no intrest in it and neither did the other kids his age. I would think that this toy would go over better with a baby around 6-9 months.
on September 13, 2010
My boys received the Bug Jug when they were 7 months old and it was an instant hit, they really latched on to it. The bugs are very cute, and my twin sons were very interested in putting the bugs into the jug. It's harder for them to get the bugs out, they don't just spill out, so they often brought it to us for help. We were amazed when the boys responded when we'd say "get your bugs", "where's your bug jug?" or "where's your spider?" They learned all those associations really quickly, and it was fun for them to go look for their bugs.

This is a great gift idea for babies under a year old.
on January 20, 2013
So, I was excited when I ordered this, it seemed perfect for my 1 yr old who has been very interested in filling up and dumping containers, and I love melissa and doug toys. The design is cute, the idea is cute, the bugs are cute, make interesting sounds and have nice textures; however, the toy definitely does not perform up to par, or even up to its name, "fill and spill." That is exactly what my son *wants* to do with this toy, but the bugs don't "spill" out of the container- the opening is not large enough to allow it. He also has difficulty getting the bugs in or out by hand for the same reason: the opening is too small for the bugs to pass easily and it requires a bit more force than he can manage--in spite of being a pretty strong, motor-advanced little boy. He then sticks his hand in and gets his hand stuck as he tries to pull the bugs out. He loses interest in this toy very quickly because it doesn't function the way he wants it to- it's *not* a fill and spill toy. He can do it with my help, but he does not want my help to do such things, he wants to do it by himself. Perhaps ours is just defective, and the opening is supposed to be a little larger, I don't know. All I know is that he ditches this toy pretty quick and settles for filling and spilling his toy bins instead-- fine by me, but I'm irritated that I spent money on this toy unnecessarily. If you're looking for fun soft toys and you like bugs or want to introduce toy bugs to your baby- it's a great toy. But other than manipulating the bugs themselves, don't expect baby to be able to do much else with it.
on May 27, 2015
I'm shocked this has such a high rating. The bugs are too big for the opening so they need to be shoved back in. The container is soft plastic so a baby can't do it herself. It's also nearly impossible to stick a hand in and get them out. My 1 yo tries and just screams at me. She likes the bugs themselves but otherwise this drives us both crazy. I had to hide it finally.
on November 12, 2012
The product is a "fill & spill" type of toy, but it doesn't do that. You can FILL the bag, but you have to practically PUSH the toys through the opening, and when you turn it over to dump everything out, nothing falls out because either the opening on the bag is too small, or the toys are too big. My baby loves to play with the toys inside, so we just leave them out because there is no way she would be able to get them in or out of the bag. A little disappointed.
on February 17, 2011
This was my daughters first toy she ever really played with. It started at 4 months, she is now 6 months and it has not gotten "old". She was able to grasp the spider with his eight lovely legs instantly, she LOVES the spider. She now plays with the whole jar, she swings it around and removes the bugs, keeps her entertained the longest of any toy. I don't see her getting tired of this anytime soon. She starts every morning sitting in her bumbo seat and playing with her bug jar. This toy is worth the less then $20 you pay for it. HIGHLY recommended.
review image
on April 22, 2015
Love this!!! Have purchased 3 so far, one for each grandchild. It is a perfect toy even for little ones at 4 months. The spider is especially easy to grasp. Then it grows with them. Highly recommend. There is a fish bowl toy that works a lot like the bug jar. I bought both, but the bugs have it hands down.
review image review image
on April 16, 2015
My 8 month old son loves to play with the bugs. They are machine washable which is a HUGE plus. This is a fill and spill toy, but the opening is so small it's hard to do either. So I would give this toy 4 out of 5 stars.