4.0 out of 5 stars toy gets lots of play time

Published on January 17, 2010 by SpinGal

4.0 out of 5 stars toy gets lots of play time, April 27, 2010
KP (West Lafayette, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Grocery Store / Lemonade Stand (Toy)
There are two really fantastic things about this market stand: One is the reversible awning! My kids get SOOO excited about entrepreneurial ideas - so they love the Lemonade Stand idea! But they also want to sell some of the produce from the garden as a Farmer's Market using the other side of the awning. The chalkboards hanging from each bin are the other super fun feature. My kids aren't doing their math right yet, but they love to write prices and they will tally numbers and then make up a total. They are getting the concept.

As far as quality, there is something to be desired. The paint on the countertop is so thin you can see through it. The bins are also a really thin plastic - They might hold up if kids stood on them, but not if they were jumped on or anything. The pegs on the bins are also thin, and one has already broke off on the 7th day.

The assembly was time- consuming, but not too aggravating. The size seems right for toddler and preschool kids, but when the market stand is on the carpet the pile gets in the way of hanging the blackboard tags. Also note that the blackboard tags aren't really "chalkboard" -They are surfaced with a black plastic that I didn't think chalk would even write on, but in fact it has worked just fine for chalk, and cleans well too. Chalk does not come with the toy.

My husband built the most adorable kitchen for our kids, and we talked about using this idea to build a matching marketstand for the kids. After adding up the cost of purchasing bins and wood we realized our materials would cost almost as much as this stand, and we wouldn't be able to create an awning as nice. So it seemed best to purchase this stand rather than build our own. The blue color on the sides clashed with the colors on our kitchen, but we figured we could always repaint that - or build a new stand, but keep the bins and awning from this one. Overall it looks good, and is very fun. Not super quality, but to do better would cost a lot more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lemonade Stand, September 28, 2010
Paul Lazzaretti (Arlington Heights, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Grocery Store / Lemonade Stand (Toy)
This lemonade stand is solid and well worth the money. My wife and I were impressed with the high quality of construction and thoughtfulness when it was designed. It allows my daughter to sell many different items at one time and makes her the envy of the neighborhood with her lemonade/cookie stand.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good for storage if you have a kitchen and need a place to keep the extra items., January 17, 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Grocery Store / Lemonade Stand (Toy)
My daughter received this for Christmas but it works more like a storage at this point. She is 3 and a half. However, she really had enjoyed the cash register that she also got for Christmas. I hope she will grow into the store concept in the next year. It is easy to put together and pretty well built for kids toys these days. However, it would be nice if Melissa and Doug would not have their toys made in China....which we continue to find out puts toxins in children's toys. I would pay more if this toy was made in the USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, February 7, 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Grocery Store / Lemonade Stand (Toy)
My daughter loves this. It is sturdy and well designed. It took me about 2 hours (2 people) to put it together. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for hours of entertainment, August 7, 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Grocery Store / Lemonade Stand (Toy)
I have 3 children aged 1, 2 and almost 7 and they all LOVE this stand. I am not sure why it is listed as a choking hazard for children under 3. My children are very rough with their toys and this has stood up the test of time- 8 months so far- with no issues what so ever. We also have the Lifestyle deluxe kitchen and a lot of the meliisa & doug wooden food products and the kids play with these items all the time. They love to play restaurant and will put on little servers aprons, take food orders, buy the food at the stand (we have a grocery cart too) and then bring it to the kitchen to "make" everyone's order while wearing their chefs hats. Very cute!

3.0 out of 5 stars ***Assemble Prior to Gifting***, December 31, 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Grocery Store / Lemonade Stand (Toy)
I ordered this for my children at Christmas, when we went to put it together we found that all of the assembly hardware was missing as well as the top table was chipped right in the front center.

Amazon was prompt about sending a replacement and fortunately we had a day to keep the original as the replacement was missing both metal brackets used to hold the awning as well as was misaligned with the guide holes for the side shelves which had to be replaced from the initial package.

Once assembled the product seemed to be a good thing my kids liked, however it took two packages to have all pieces and none that were damaged. My warning **Assemble prior to giving***

5.0 out of 5 stars My Grandaughter was speechless!, June 25, 2010
Beej (CRAIG, CO, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Grocery Store / Lemonade Stand (Toy)
My Granddaughter's first words were "I get to take it home?" Well built, sized just right and she loves it. The last three words says it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and educational toy and extra storage for kitchen food, December 6, 2012
Lilac (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Grocery Store / Lemonade Stand (Toy)
I bought this toy for my 2 y/o daughter and 3 1/2 year old son. They both have been asking to play supermarket and enjoy using it. I was debating between this toy and a Little Tikes market. The reason I decided on the Melissa and Doug toy was because it seemed bigger and therefore would be able to hold the abundance of play food that the kids already have. The Melissa and Doug has nine bins versus little tike's six. The Melissa and Doug did not come, however, with the doors, food, the ice cream cones, or a cash register, they might enjoy playing with. So I had to buy the cash register and Melissa and Doug Ice cream set. I am glad I did because my son immediately asked for "ice cream" remembering it from the picture of the little Tikes Market that I showed him. He did not miss or notice the doors. It also has these tabs that hold little chalkboards the kids can practice writing on. The only problems with the tabs are that they are not durable. One broke the first day, and it was partly my fault because I was not looking and my 2 year old decided to climb the toy. I had to explain to her that this is not what it was for. Melissa and Doug were very kind enough to, rather quickly, send me a replacement bin, free of charge. That was a big plus for me and one of the reasons I rated the product with five stars. Another issue for parents with younger children, and from what I noticed with one reviewer who complained that the toy was "too advanced", is that this is not a toy that you just hand over to young children and expect them to play with "correctly". You have to be there and explore the toy with them. Arrange the food by color and types, practice writing on the chalkboards, talk about purchasing and how things cost money, etc. It can be a very fun and educational toy for even a 2 y/o. We talk about the different types of food one would find in a supermarket. We also have carts and put the food in the cart as we are shopping and then in a bag to "take home" to their play kitchen to cook. So don't be intimidated by expecting your kids to immediately go shopping on their own. Melissa and Doug's website also has ideas of how to use this toy. Also one person complained of not being able to write their own name on the sign. That problem can easily be solved by taking some black contact paper, writing whatever you want with chalk, and placing it on top of the sign. The toy was not difficult to put together. I put it together, while 6 month's pregnant, by myself, with my two toddlers unhelping me, in about 40 minutes. No major tools are needed, maybe a flat screwdriver to hold and turn the little metal dowel nuts in place. It comes with an Allen wrench. Basically if you can put together Ikea furniture, you can put this together. The instructions are good and straightforward. This is a great toy for Kwanzaa, Christmas, Chanukah, Winter Solstice, Birthdays or whatever you wish to celebrate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute!, March 11, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Grocery Store / Lemonade Stand (Toy)
This was a christmas gift for our girls (ages 2 and 4). Easy to put together (this is coming from a couple who swear they will never assemble anything together in hopes of staying married!) and its really cute. The kids love it and its great that the awning switches easily from grocery to lemonade stand. The little bins are removable and they love taking them out and using them for all sorts of other play as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review, December 29, 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Grocery Store / Lemonade Stand (Toy)
Little one loves it. Only complaint, counter top was not properly drilled so it took alot of wiggling to get the counter top down correctly (yes, I know how to build eg don't over tighten anything until everything in place)

Melissa & Doug Deluxe Grocery Store / Lemonade Stand