Most helpful critical review
48 of 54 people found the following review helpful
OK, but not great magic kit
on January 7, 2012
This magic kit has its plusses and minuses. Overall more minuses than pluses in my mind especially for a Mellissa and Doug toy. Generally Mellissa and Doug make great toys, but I'm very disappointed in this case.
The kit contains 10 magic tricks that I suggest a child at least 7 to 8 years old can present to an audience of kids from about 4 to no older than 8 or 9.
1. Seven of ten magic tricks are good to acceptable for younger kids.
2. In general, the instructions are easy to follow.
1. The quality is very poor; extremely in some cases:
a. The kit has a disappearing scarf trick that uses a magic bag. The bag is made exceptionally poor- seems and glued areas are coming apart after the 1st use and a hinged portion makes a lot of noise all that completely ruins the trick that a 4 year old noticed.
b. The kit also has some wooden cards with numbers on it for a number guessing trick. The trick is great, but the numbers on the cards very easily scrap off to the point after about five times doing the trick some numbers are almost missing. The numbers were already partially faded (scraped off) out of the box.
2. One trick (disappearing box) is very confusing at best were even several adults could not figure it out how to make the trick even sort of look like magic (the whole point of the toy).
3. Another trick (vanishing zone) is where you slide a wand through a wooden box and the middle of the wand disappears. It's very obvious how it's done even for a 5 year old and the wooden box is another poorly constructed item adding to the usefulness of the trick.