4.0 out of 5 stars Love that pegs can't get lost
Published on May 17, 2011 by Susan S.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great...until it came apart!
We've had this toy for six months. My son LOVED it and we endured long stretches of loud pounding to indulge him. It was very cute.
We never had the issue I've read here with paint chipping, just little dents in the wood-no big deal.
Published 22 months ago by Chelsea Anne

4.0 out of 5 stars Love that pegs can't get lost, May 17, 2011
Susan S. (Houston, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Pounding Bench (Toy)
What I love about this toy is that the pegs aren't removable, so they can't get lost. The only piece your child could possibly lose would be the mallet. When you hammer a peg on one side down (for example, the yellow one), the peg on the opposite side of the bench moves up (in this case, the purple one). It's very cute and fun for my three year-old. She's delayed, so I would recommend it for a typically developing two year-old.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pound a peg I've seen yet, December 3, 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Pounding Bench (Toy)
I love this pound-a-peg toy! The pegs are permanently attached to the toy, making the toy last. If they were not attached, they would have been lost within a few days and the toy would not be usable. I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old so keeping track of small objects is not easy. We now only have to keep track of the pounder itself.

The pegs are pretty colors that my toddler loves to point out. She also likes the faces on the pegs. It works perfectly. As they pound one peg down, an opposite peg comes back up.

Heavy duty and well-made. Glad we got this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pounding Bench, November 28, 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Pounding Bench (Toy)
This was a gift for my one year old grand-son and he loves it and plays with it often. It is very durable - all made of good quality wood.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great...until it came apart!, September 30, 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Pounding Bench (Toy)
HOWEVER-after four months, my son realized that when the peg was hammered all the way down, you can pull it out the bottom. Now all of the pegs have been pulled out and a few were recently tossed in the toilet...time to toss it! Bummer! If the pegs were only slightly longer, this wouldn't happen...

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality - Fell Apart, January 28, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Pounding Bench (Toy)
I have two toddlers and really love the idea of Melissa and Doug's wooden, no battery products and I am willing to pay an extra few dollars for high quality items - assuming they last. However, I am now seeing quality issues in multiple M&D products and they just aren't lasting. This bench was the first casualty when it fell apart (into multiple pieces) only a few weeks after purchasing. I have had it in my "fix up" box, but so far I am not having any luck putting it back together so my boys just use the hammer on our other workbench (which is now coming loose as well). Other products are proving to be less than solid as well - the trains in our M&D train set are chipping paint everywhere, our paint brushes are shedding their bristles, and our wooden train stacking toy lost its wheels. Seems like there has been a definite decrease in quality over the past year and I am much more wary of purchasing Melissa and Doug products from here on out. I have found a few new wood products at Land of Nod and the quality has been superior thus far.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Mar 14, 2014 12:25:31 PM PDT
Dear Amazon Customer,
Thank you for your comments on the Deluxe Pounding Bench. I would love to speak with you to get some additional information and to help you with this. Please call me at #800-284-3948.
Beth Miller

1.0 out of 5 stars It fell apart :(, March 21, 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Pounding Bench (Toy)
I love melissa and doug products but this one didnt live up to their name. It fell apart after we had it for about 2 weeks. I tried to put it back together but had no luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural, Lasting Fun!, August 1, 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Pounding Bench (Toy)
I looked at a few other "pounding bench" toys and chose this one. This was meant to be an activity that our 15 m/o could play with independently while I worked around the house. She is right at the age of wanting to do EVERYTHING with me and I needed something for her to do on her own. I considered the other brands where after pounding the pins through one side, the child would then flip the toy over and have a go at the other side (repeat, repeat, repeat), but I wasn't certain she would understand to flip the toy at this age. The Melissa & Doug one allows her to continue working on this toy, as pushing one pin down pushes another up. At first, she didn't hammer hard enough to move the pins and I showed her how to push them down with the palm of her hand. We enjoy talking about the colours of the pins and *now* talk about what is appropriate/inappropriate use of the hammer. She can fetch the toy on her own and has learned to sit down to play with it. I've noticed that she likes to put the whole thing on her lap and work with it there. We are against plastic toys in our house and like the solid, wood feel of this one. Would def recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toddler Toy, December 20, 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Pounding Bench (Toy)
I bought this for my son when he was around 9 months old. He didn't enjoy it as much then, but now that he's 16 months old - he loves pounding the nails in and pretends he's building something. Great toy! And I love how the nails and board are one piece so there's nothing to clean up or any small pieces to lose.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, January 16, 2012
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Pounding Bench (Toy)
First off, the bench was not quite attached to the legs and you couldn't pound at all without the whole thing coming apart, but that was easily fixed with some gorilla glue. But the pegs are either incredibly easy (they fall down on both sides and just sit half way up) or they are really tough. There are 2 of them that I have to pound hard like 4 or 5 times to get it down. My kid can't do that. So, of course, it's just frustrating. The leg parts move just fine, but the rubber stoppers that they used for resistance on the pegs are inconsistent - some are so big that it's too much resistance and some too little. She does get some eye to hand coordination skill from it, but I'd like it better if it did what it was supposed to do.

I would send it back, but I bought it way before Christmas, so I didn't know I would be so disappointed until much later. I would be happier trying to find the pegs on something that worked than the convenience of having pegs built in for something that was poorly made. I expected more from M&D.

4.0 out of 5 stars Know Thy Child--Be He Thor or Odin?, June 24, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Pounding Bench (Toy)
I am torn in reviewing this toy. Here's why: The toy is definitely well-made, will not come apart, will not break unless subjected to massive violence. It definitely builds motor skills, hand-eye-coordination, and even thinking skills--as deciding which colors should be up or down or evenly matched in height requires some intricate choice and physical application. So, the toy is a great toy!

But . . .

You are basically giving your child a miniature of Thor's hammer. Not a hollow plastic hammer, mind you. No, no. This is a toddler weapon the great god of thunder would approve of. Two solid wooden pieces held together very well. The head of the hammer is sculpted to allow attacks from many interesting angles. Great for the toy. Not so great if your little one might decide to go "a-viking" during a playgroup, family get-together, or school function.

Like the mighty Mjolner, this hammer throws well, flies fast and far, and can kill the mightiest of trolls. Or televisions. Or PC's. Or Grandma.

So . . . the only reason I take a star off is because of the deadly weapon that comes with this awesome toy. Maybe it should have been fastened by a cable to the toy, Melissa & Doug? It's not cool that parents have to do this thinking for you. But we love Grandma. Having our toddler turned Thor send her to the hospital is not our idea of fun.

If your child is meek and kind and dependably non-violent, go for it. GREAT TOY! If your little one may just be a conqueror of lands reincarnated into this tiny body, please beware the hammer!

Melissa & Doug Deluxe Pounding Bench