Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Pounding Bench
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Style Name: Pounding Bench|Change

on June 24, 2014
I am torn in reviewing this toy. Here's why: The toy is definitely well-made, will not come apart, will not break unless subjected to massive violence. It definitely builds motor skills, hand-eye-coordination, and even thinking skills--as deciding which colors should be up or down or evenly matched in height requires some intricate choice and physical application. So, the toy is a great toy!

But . . .

You are basically giving your child a miniature of Thor's hammer. Not a hollow plastic hammer, mind you. No, no. This is a toddler weapon the great god of thunder would approve of. Two solid wooden pieces held together very well. The head of the hammer is sculpted to allow attacks from many interesting angles. Great for the toy. Not so great if your little one might decide to go "a-viking" during a playgroup, family get-together, or school function.

Like the mighty Mjolner, this hammer throws well, flies fast and far, and can kill the mightiest of trolls. Or televisions. Or PC's. Or Grandma.

So . . . the only reason I take a star off is because of the deadly weapon that comes with this awesome toy. Maybe it should have been fastened by a cable to the toy, Melissa & Doug? It's not cool that parents have to do this thinking for you. But we love Grandma. Having our toddler turned Thor send her to the hospital is not our idea of fun.

If your child is meek and kind and dependably non-violent, go for it. GREAT TOY! If your little one may just be a conqueror of lands reincarnated into this tiny body, please beware the hammer!
3737 comments|1,002 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2011
What I love about this toy is that the pegs aren't removable, so they can't get lost. The only piece your child could possibly lose would be the mallet. When you hammer a peg on one side down (for example, the yellow one), the peg on the opposite side of the bench moves up (in this case, the purple one). It's very cute and fun for my three year-old. She's delayed, so I would recommend it for a typically developing two year-old.
0Comment|113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on December 14, 2014
I was excited to buy this for my 9 month old boy, should have realised something was wrong when I saw fine sawdust in the package. Was beyond shocked when I opened it up and saw holes drilled all over by wood-borers/wood-worms or whatever creepy-crawlies. And they were alive! Peeping out of the holes now and then to take in their new neighbourhood. Trashed them almost immediately but still can't get over it, and to think my boy loves chomping on almost anything he gets his hand on.

I'm usually empathetic towards the typical difficulties companies have putting out products in the marketplace and getting everything right, competing isn't easy. But this is unacceptable and should never have happened. Just poor, poor, quality controls.
review image review image review image review image
55 comments|252 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear Amazon Customer,
Thank you for your comments on the Pounding Bench. I would love to speak with you to get some additional information and help you with this. Please give me a call at 800-284-3948.
Thanks!
Beth Miller
on March 21, 2013
I love melissa and doug products but this one didnt live up to their name. It fell apart after we had it for about 2 weeks. I tried to put it back together but had no luck.
on December 3, 2011
I love this pound-a-peg toy! The pegs are permanently attached to the toy, making the toy last. If they were not attached, they would have been lost within a few days and the toy would not be usable. I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old so keeping track of small objects is not easy. We now only have to keep track of the pounder itself.

The pegs are pretty colors that my toddler loves to point out. She also likes the faces on the pegs. It works perfectly. As they pound one peg down, an opposite peg comes back up.

Heavy duty and well-made. Glad we got this one.
on September 30, 2012
We've had this toy for six months. My son LOVED it and we endured long stretches of loud pounding to indulge him. It was very cute.
We never had the issue I've read here with paint chipping, just little dents in the wood-no big deal.
HOWEVER-after four months, my son realized that when the peg was hammered all the way down, you can pull it out the bottom. Now all of the pegs have been pulled out and a few were recently tossed in the toilet...time to toss it! Bummer! If the pegs were only slightly longer, this wouldn't happen...
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 28, 2014
I have two toddlers and really love the idea of Melissa and Doug's wooden, no battery products and I am willing to pay an extra few dollars for high quality items - assuming they last. However, I am now seeing quality issues in multiple M&D products and they just aren't lasting. This bench was the first casualty when it fell apart (into multiple pieces) only a few weeks after purchasing. I have had it in my "fix up" box, but so far I am not having any luck putting it back together so my boys just use the hammer on our other workbench (which is now coming loose as well). Other products are proving to be less than solid as well - the trains in our M&D train set are chipping paint everywhere, our paint brushes are shedding their bristles, and our wooden train stacking toy lost its wheels. Seems like there has been a definite decrease in quality over the past year and I am much more wary of purchasing Melissa and Doug products from here on out. I have found a few new wood products at Land of Nod and the quality has been superior thus far.
22 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear Amazon Customer,
Thank you for your comments on the Deluxe Pounding Bench. I would love to speak with you to get some additional information and to help you with this. Please call me at #800-284-3948.
Beth Miller
on November 28, 2011
This was a gift for my one year old grand-son and he loves it and plays with it often. It is very durable - all made of good quality wood.
on September 8, 2015
As a parent to two young children I have grown to appreciate Melissa & Doug items very much. However this pounding bench is by far their worst product. Seems like their manufacturing for this product needs to be fixed--the one I received was clearly defective with the pegs installed at an angle (see attached picture; all the pegs in the front row are actually pushed as far down as they would go). What this did was that even after "pounding" the pegs on one side of the bench were still in the almost "up"position. Also, I did not like the fact that the hammer was not attached to the bench with a rope or string and can be easily lost.
review image
on September 29, 2015
This product is ok. There is little resistance when you hit the pegs. It was great at first for my one year old who is just learning to wack the pegs but she quickly learned she could just push them down with her fingers. She seemed to be having fun even with just pushing the pegs down which is why I gave the toy 3 stars instead of 2. In the near future I will be getting a better pounding bench. A friend has the Hape Tap and Pound Bench which seemed to be exactly what I wanted and basically includes 2 toys in one. That will be our next purchase. For now, this is ok.
review image review image