Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

Style Name: Pounding Bench|Change

on June 24, 2014
I am torn in reviewing this toy. Here's why: The toy is definitely well-made, will not come apart, will not break unless subjected to massive violence. It definitely builds motor skills, hand-eye-coordination, and even thinking skills--as deciding which colors should be up or down or evenly matched in height requires some intricate choice and physical application. So, the toy is a great toy!

But . . .

You are basically giving your child a miniature of Thor's hammer. Not a hollow plastic hammer, mind you. No, no. This is a toddler weapon the great god of thunder would approve of. Two solid wooden pieces held together very well. The head of the hammer is sculpted to allow attacks from many interesting angles. Great for the toy. Not so great if your little one might decide to go "a-viking" during a playgroup, family get-together, or school function.

Like the mighty Mjolner, this hammer throws well, flies fast and far, and can kill the mightiest of trolls. Or televisions. Or PC's. Or Grandma.

So . . . the only reason I take a star off is because of the deadly weapon that comes with this awesome toy. Maybe it should have been fastened by a cable to the toy, Melissa & Doug? It's not cool that parents have to do this thinking for you. But we love Grandma. Having our toddler turned Thor send her to the hospital is not our idea of fun.

If your child is meek and kind and dependably non-violent, go for it. GREAT TOY! If your little one may just be a conqueror of lands reincarnated into this tiny body, please beware the hammer!
3737 comments|971 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 17, 2011
What I love about this toy is that the pegs aren't removable, so they can't get lost. The only piece your child could possibly lose would be the mallet. When you hammer a peg on one side down (for example, the yellow one), the peg on the opposite side of the bench moves up (in this case, the purple one). It's very cute and fun for my three year-old. She's delayed, so I would recommend it for a typically developing two year-old.
0Comment|110 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on December 14, 2014
I was excited to buy this for my 9 month old boy, should have realised something was wrong when I saw fine sawdust in the package. Was beyond shocked when I opened it up and saw holes drilled all over by wood-borers/wood-worms or whatever creepy-crawlies. And they were alive! Peeping out of the holes now and then to take in their new neighbourhood. Trashed them almost immediately but still can't get over it, and to think my boy loves chomping on almost anything he gets his hand on.

I'm usually empathetic towards the typical difficulties companies have putting out products in the marketplace and getting everything right, competing isn't easy. But this is unacceptable and should never have happened. Just poor, poor, quality controls.
review image review image review image review image
55 comments|232 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear Amazon Customer,
Thank you for your comments on the Pounding Bench. I would love to speak with you to get some additional information and help you with this. Please give me a call at 800-284-3948.
Thanks!
Beth Miller
on December 3, 2011
I love this pound-a-peg toy! The pegs are permanently attached to the toy, making the toy last. If they were not attached, they would have been lost within a few days and the toy would not be usable. I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old so keeping track of small objects is not easy. We now only have to keep track of the pounder itself.

The pegs are pretty colors that my toddler loves to point out. She also likes the faces on the pegs. It works perfectly. As they pound one peg down, an opposite peg comes back up.

Heavy duty and well-made. Glad we got this one.
on March 21, 2013
I love melissa and doug products but this one didnt live up to their name. It fell apart after we had it for about 2 weeks. I tried to put it back together but had no luck.
on September 30, 2012
We've had this toy for six months. My son LOVED it and we endured long stretches of loud pounding to indulge him. It was very cute.
We never had the issue I've read here with paint chipping, just little dents in the wood-no big deal.
HOWEVER-after four months, my son realized that when the peg was hammered all the way down, you can pull it out the bottom. Now all of the pegs have been pulled out and a few were recently tossed in the toilet...time to toss it! Bummer! If the pegs were only slightly longer, this wouldn't happen...
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 28, 2014
I have two toddlers and really love the idea of Melissa and Doug's wooden, no battery products and I am willing to pay an extra few dollars for high quality items - assuming they last. However, I am now seeing quality issues in multiple M&D products and they just aren't lasting. This bench was the first casualty when it fell apart (into multiple pieces) only a few weeks after purchasing. I have had it in my "fix up" box, but so far I am not having any luck putting it back together so my boys just use the hammer on our other workbench (which is now coming loose as well). Other products are proving to be less than solid as well - the trains in our M&D train set are chipping paint everywhere, our paint brushes are shedding their bristles, and our wooden train stacking toy lost its wheels. Seems like there has been a definite decrease in quality over the past year and I am much more wary of purchasing Melissa and Doug products from here on out. I have found a few new wood products at Land of Nod and the quality has been superior thus far.
22 comments|57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear Amazon Customer,
Thank you for your comments on the Deluxe Pounding Bench. I would love to speak with you to get some additional information and to help you with this. Please call me at #800-284-3948.
Beth Miller
on November 28, 2011
This was a gift for my one year old grand-son and he loves it and plays with it often. It is very durable - all made of good quality wood.
on September 29, 2015
This product is ok. There is little resistance when you hit the pegs. It was great at first for my one year old who is just learning to wack the pegs but she quickly learned she could just push them down with her fingers. She seemed to be having fun even with just pushing the pegs down which is why I gave the toy 3 stars instead of 2. In the near future I will be getting a better pounding bench. A friend has the Hape Tap and Pound Bench which seemed to be exactly what I wanted and basically includes 2 toys in one. That will be our next purchase. For now, this is ok.
review image review image
on August 1, 2012
I looked at a few other "pounding bench" toys and chose this one. This was meant to be an activity that our 15 m/o could play with independently while I worked around the house. She is right at the age of wanting to do EVERYTHING with me and I needed something for her to do on her own. I considered the other brands where after pounding the pins through one side, the child would then flip the toy over and have a go at the other side (repeat, repeat, repeat), but I wasn't certain she would understand to flip the toy at this age. The Melissa & Doug one allows her to continue working on this toy, as pushing one pin down pushes another up. At first, she didn't hammer hard enough to move the pins and I showed her how to push them down with the palm of her hand. We enjoy talking about the colours of the pins and *now* talk about what is appropriate/inappropriate use of the hammer. She can fetch the toy on her own and has learned to sit down to play with it. I've noticed that she likes to put the whole thing on her lap and work with it there. We are against plastic toys in our house and like the solid, wood feel of this one. Would def recommend!