5.0 out of 5 stars We love this puzzle!
I purchased this puzzle for my 4 year old daughter 1 year ago. She has put it together many times first with assistance then on her own. My 9 year old also has enjoyed putting it together as fast as she can. My 2 year old likes to help Mommy & sister, and I enjoy working on this puzzle with them. It's a very fun puzzle to put together.
The puzzle is very durable,...
Published on November 21, 2007 by Roses_Three

1.0 out of 5 stars Not quite up to expectations
Published on January 18, 2010 by 2 boys' Mom

1.0 out of 5 stars Not quite up to expectations, January 18, 2010
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Deluxe Wooden 48-Piece Jigsaw Puzzle - Pirates (Toy)
My 4 year old son got this puzzle and another M&D puzzle last week for his birthday. The graphics are wonderful, but that's all the good things I can say about them. The pictures are already starting to come off of the pieces, the pieces are really hard to get apart, and there are wood fragments coming off this puzzle like crazy. The ends of the pieces are sharp and it gives me the willies to touch them because of the wood shards that are sticking out of the pieces and board. I would have a cardboard puzzle over these any day.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this puzzle!, November 21, 2007
Roses_Three (Duluth, MN United States) - See all my reviews
The puzzle is very durable, keeping in mind that dogs may like to chew them (not durable for this use). Each piece has an identifying characteristic to it, which is helpful finding the right place for it. It's a great puzzle! We love Melissa & Doug products!

3.0 out of 5 stars Super fun, but not very sturdy, May 24, 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
My son got this puzzle two weeks ago, and he still asks to put it together every day. It's enough of a challenge for him (age 3) but still exciting, especially with the pirates! The colors are very nice and vibrant, and I like that it comes with a wooden "frame" in which to assemble the puzzle.
My only complaint is the quality of construction. When we first opened it, the pieces had to be taken apart. They were so tight-fitting that it was difficult even for me to separate the pieces. I got a splinter or two due to the way the many THIN layers of wood were glued together. After putting together the puzzle twice, we noticed that the tabs were flaking off the back of each piece, again due to the extremely thin nature of the bottom few pieces of wood. I'm just not used to this from M&D products, and frankly I'm disappointed. It was not a very costly puzzle for sure, but it would be nice to get something for my son that would last for more than a month.
So, fun - absolutely!! Durable - nope. Enjoy it while it lasts!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great puzzle, January 15, 2010
There's nothing to dislike about this puzzle. As with many Melissa and Doug puzzles, thought has been given to everything, even the placement of lines within the image and how they bridge the edges of the puzzle pieces. Gorgeous colours, good construction, a cute design, and enough repetition of thematic elements to give young minds small problems to ponder. My 4-year-old has gone on to tougher puzzles, but still likes to put this one together on occasion.

1.0 out of 5 stars Get Ravensburger instead, April 9, 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
We've had some luck with M&D products in the past, so we tried some M&D puzzles. The pirate pattern is neat, and a hit with both my four and two year old. The problem is that the pieces stick together, and are hard for little fingers to manipulate. One can literally pick up on end of the puzzle and hold the entire puzzle airborn. It takes work to get the pieces apart, and then it takes more work to actually piece them together again.

I suspect that M&D felt a need to differentiate themselves from the Ravensburger puzzles, and did so by using plywood instead of hardy cardboard. I understand the thought, but it just didn't work. Stick with the other.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great puzzle, October 29, 2013
This is the one puzzle that has stood the test of time and manages to keep my sons interest almost a year later. Highly recommend

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, December 6, 2010
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
My daughter loves this puzzle and the colors and picture are visually very appealing, but we've only put it together maybe 4 times and the wood is splintering and the picture is peeling off. It's very disappointing and nothing like our experience with other Melissa and Doug products.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son's favorite puzzle, August 14, 2009
We have three Melissa and Doug Puzzles. My son was only a few months more than three when we purchased this one. Smaller puzzles with less pieces were no longer challenging. Of course, this didn't challenge him for very long but he loves pirates and thus loves doing this one over and over.
This puzzle is very durable and I expect to hand it down to my next son.

3.0 out of 5 stars good toy, could be better, May 2, 2010
i have the jungle version and this pirate puzzle for my twin 5yos boys. they can do the puzzle just fine (it's a challenge but not impossible), however the problem here is that the reference picture is on the back side of the puzzle board. unless my kids assemble the puzzle on the table without using the board, they become very frustrated because there is no picture to look at. other reviewers said there were splinters and the pictures were coming off the pieces, i did not experience any of those problems - the pieces fit together snugly but not too tightly where they break. the puzzle itself is well-made, but i think the puzzle books (by anne sharp or others) work better for our family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed!, December 27, 2013
Purchased this with reserve, I expected it to be smaller and the wood thinner. This thing is huge and the wood is thick, I'm ure my 5 year old won't be snapping pieces. He's put it together twice today alone. He loves it!

Rate and Discover Movies