Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th

on January 18, 2010
My 4 year old son got this puzzle and another M&D puzzle last week for his birthday. The graphics are wonderful, but that's all the good things I can say about them. The pictures are already starting to come off of the pieces, the pieces are really hard to get apart, and there are wood fragments coming off this puzzle like crazy. The ends of the pieces are sharp and it gives me the willies to touch them because of the wood shards that are sticking out of the pieces and board. I would have a cardboard puzzle over these any day.
on November 21, 2007
I purchased this puzzle for my 4 year old daughter 1 year ago. She has put it together many times first with assistance then on her own. My 9 year old also has enjoyed putting it together as fast as she can. My 2 year old likes to help Mommy & sister, and I enjoy working on this puzzle with them. It's a very fun puzzle to put together.
The puzzle is very durable, keeping in mind that dogs may like to chew them (not durable for this use). Each piece has an identifying characteristic to it, which is helpful finding the right place for it. It's a great puzzle! We love Melissa & Doug products!
on May 24, 2010
My son got this puzzle two weeks ago, and he still asks to put it together every day. It's enough of a challenge for him (age 3) but still exciting, especially with the pirates! The colors are very nice and vibrant, and I like that it comes with a wooden "frame" in which to assemble the puzzle.
My only complaint is the quality of construction. When we first opened it, the pieces had to be taken apart. They were so tight-fitting that it was difficult even for me to separate the pieces. I got a splinter or two due to the way the many THIN layers of wood were glued together. After putting together the puzzle twice, we noticed that the tabs were flaking off the back of each piece, again due to the extremely thin nature of the bottom few pieces of wood. I'm just not used to this from M&D products, and frankly I'm disappointed. It was not a very costly puzzle for sure, but it would be nice to get something for my son that would last for more than a month.
So, fun - absolutely!! Durable - nope. Enjoy it while it lasts!
on January 15, 2010
There's nothing to dislike about this puzzle. As with many Melissa and Doug puzzles, thought has been given to everything, even the placement of lines within the image and how they bridge the edges of the puzzle pieces. Gorgeous colours, good construction, a cute design, and enough repetition of thematic elements to give young minds small problems to ponder. My 4-year-old has gone on to tougher puzzles, but still likes to put this one together on occasion.
on April 9, 2011
We've had some luck with M&D products in the past, so we tried some M&D puzzles. The pirate pattern is neat, and a hit with both my four and two year old. The problem is that the pieces stick together, and are hard for little fingers to manipulate. One can literally pick up on end of the puzzle and hold the entire puzzle airborn. It takes work to get the pieces apart, and then it takes more work to actually piece them together again.

I suspect that M&D felt a need to differentiate themselves from the Ravensburger puzzles, and did so by using plywood instead of hardy cardboard. I understand the thought, but it just didn't work. Stick with the other.
on April 6, 2016
My three year old son loves these puzzles. We were given one for Christmas and he keeps it next to his bed to play with every morning. I find it amazing to watch his understanding of reason grow as he learns. He has now grasped the concept to look at other puzzle pieces for similar colors and shapes. He also now understands flat edges should face the edge of the board and can place them first. I never really considered the educational value of puzzles until I've watched him grow through trial and error with the puzzle originally given to us. He loves it so much I purchased several different puzzles to keep him entertained and happy. The pictures are vivid and enjoyable with a great diversity to them.
A key advantage to these puzzles, at least the ones I've purchased, is that they come with a back board that the puzzles fit into snugly. The pieces are not free pieces lying around my house, but when he's done with a puzzle I can simply pick up the whole thing and not worry about it falling to pieces. It stays perfectly together until he's ready to play with it again.
The only disadvantage is that a few of mine have started to bow a little bit. The backboard wood has started to curve slightly and separate from itself. It hasn't separated from itself completely or prohibited him from still playing with the puzzle, but the backboard is an advantage of these puzzles I don't want to give up for clean up purposes.
on October 19, 2013
Melissa and Doug are really letting the quality of their toys slip. The puzzle pieces are cheap, flimsy cardboard that bends easily, and the paper images are peeling off several pieces after very light use. My son has trouble putting this one together because there's no reference photo, but even with adult help it's not very fun because the pieces are so easily damaged. Pass on this one.
on November 18, 2013
My kids love these wooden puzzles. They're tough enough that they don't break when the baby gets a hold of them (or when the older ones pull the pieces apart a little more viciously than necessary). There are also just the right amount of pieces for small ones learning how to put puzzles together for the first time. The fun pirate theme is great for everyone, but especially those that love cartoons like Jake and the Neverland Pirates. I highly recommend all Melissa and Dough wooden toys, including their puzzles!
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on September 1, 2014
I love these puzzles. My daughter (3) does as well. The pictures are crisp, colorful, and fun. These were a great step up from 24 piece puzzles. I like that they fit into the wooden back. I also like that the pieces are made of wood. This makes for a sturdy puzzle. There is no picture on the background of the wood, which is fine for my daughter, but some children do better with a picture to match.

I gave this 4 stars because a piece broke within seconds of opening it. While my daughter was taking the pieces apart, a part of the picture broke off of a corner of one of the pieces. I used a glue stick to put it back on. If that doesn't work, I am going to use wood glue. The good thing is, even if the picture keeps falling off, the puzzle will still work. It will still lock together. It is still disappointing that this happened so soon, making me think it was like it when we got it. Most Melissa & Doug puzzles we get are so well-crafted that I was really surprised.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear Amazon Customer,
Thank you for your comments on the Pirate Jigsaw. I would love to speak with you to get some additional information and to help you with this. Please call me at 800-284-3948.
Thanks!
Beth Miller
on April 23, 2016
Like all Melissa and Doug products this is an excellent puzzle, the kids love this puzzle to death and take great care of it. The pieces are thick and easy to put together therefore easily gripped and pushed into place. Its a little difficult for a 2.5 year old but 3 and above get it pretty quick. At least my son did.