4.0 out of 5 stars Great set
Published on November 18, 2011 by E. Ecker

1.0 out of 5 stars Paint chips right off!
Published on January 7, 2011 by Mommies for Safer Toys

1.0 out of 5 stars Paint chips right off!, January 7, 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Fridge Food Set (Toy)
I was disappointed by this product because I could see specks of paint on my hands as I took this out of the package. I wiped the individual items to make sure it wasn't just some paint from the packaging, but after only a few minutes of play my daughter had specks of paint on her hands. I looked closely at another package I had purchased as a gift for a friend and there were even larger chips visible without even opening the package. After reading some online concerns from parents regarding a possible paint issue found in Canada in products from the same manufacturer, I returned these immediately. I think this toy was very cute and my daughter seemed to love it but I am not personally comfortable with toys manufactured overseas that have paint chipping right off.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, poor quality, March 1, 2012
Thomas L. Gruber (Pittsburgh, PA United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Fridge Food Set (Toy)
My wife and I are very pro Montessori and felt that the wooden toy products were the way to go for our two toddlers. However, after having purchased a number of the M&D pieces, we were very disappointed to see the paint chipping off within only a couple weeks of our kids using them. For the cost, we expected these would survive at least a year of some wear and tear, but that won't be the case. Will look for another brand in the future that's worth more for your buck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality and Very Disappointing!, January 19, 2013
PinkBird (Ocean Springs, MS) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Fridge Food Set (Toy)
Just like some other customers, I found that this set of wooden food is very below Melissa and Doug standards. It arrived with paint chipped off, and now after only 2-3 weeks of play, the orange juice is cracked in several places (we have a lot of M&D and wooden toys and have NEVER had one start to crack!) This set if very disappointing and based on this, we won't be buying any more wooden food from Melissa and Doug. I wish we would have returned the set after opening it and finding things chipped, as now it seems too late.

EDITED TO ADD:
After writing this review, I was contacted by Melissa and Doug, who, after a few weeks, replaced this set with a new one that is in much better condition! Great customer service! They assured me that if you have issues with an item to call their 800-number and they will make it right! Thanks, Melissa and Doug!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but probably wouldn't buy it again., June 16, 2009
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Fridge Food Set (Toy)
These are very cute as far as pretend kitchen food goes, but I was disappointed to see that only 1 side of each block of wood was painted/labeled. And the other concern I have is that they were painted in China....not sure that's such a good thing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Fridge Food Set, December 27, 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Fridge Food Set (Toy)
This christmas Santa brought my 19 month old twins several of the Melissa & Doug Food Products. It is a good basic set and I definitely prefer it over the plastic or cardboard sets that I have seen. The boys recognized the juice bottle and milk carton with no problem. I read a review stating there was a strong paint odor - I did not experience that at all. Also, I read about paint chipping as well - I haven't had them long enough to experience it however I can tell the paint has been sealed so I would think it shouldn't be that big of an issue. I do wish a couple of the items had the imprints on both sides such as the waffles, butter, and frozen veggies but it's not a deal breaker. I would recommend this item.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great set, November 18, 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Fridge Food Set (Toy)
I am a preschool teacher. I have always hated the fake plastic foods in the dramatic play area and was thrilled when the school purchased this set for each classroom. The wood has such a nice feel in your hands, the style is simple & retro. The children are as likely to use them as the product they were intended to be or to use them as whatever they want because the package design does not overpower. I love them and they are in use every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun and realistic toy, January 8, 2009
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Fridge Food Set (Toy)
My 2-year-old granddaughter got a play kitchen with a refrigerator this holiday and she loves the fridge food. The items are quite realistic and it was worth it just to hear her say "butter" over and over. The items are usually ones stocked in her parent's refrigerator so she was really excited. This is the only set of refrigerator food from this manufacturer. We like it so much we'd like more sets with additional items. They are quite durable and will provide years of fun for her.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't hold out too well, November 4, 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Fridge Food Set (Toy)
I got those a year ago for Christmas. A year later, the paint has chipped in several places, and the top of the yogurt cup got unglued. The kids still like them, but for what it's worth the cheap plastic boxes/bottles have held out better for us.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!, August 18, 2011
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Fridge Food Set (Toy)
I loved the way this product looked...the first week. I have two toddlers who are not overly rough with their toys and after a few times playing store, most of the pieces were chipped from loading them into the shopping cart! I would never purchase the wood food again, and I am going to sell several packages that I did not open. I ordered the Melissa and Doug plastic fruits and veggies at the same time and I am absolutely thrilled with them. They look so realistic and they hold up well to regular toddler pretend play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, educational toy for both boys and girls, August 17, 2009
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Fridge Food Set (Toy)
My 15 month old daughter and 2-1/2 year old son love this product. I purchased it, in addition to another M&D "wooden food" product, as well as the Kid Kraft vintage kitchen. The kids love to organize (and re-organize) the products, stack them, and cook with them.

I purchased all these toys for my kids, looking for the following characteristics: toys that would last them many years of use (as I said, my kids are 1 and 2 years old); the toys have minimal wear and tear, and are educational, durable, and easy to clean; and they are eco-friendly (wooden toys that I keep for years and do throw away after limited months/years of use). For all the above reasons, they are a great value.

Also, keep the box (with plastic insert) that the product came in: for an additional activity, my son absolutely loves to put the products back in the box. You have to figure out where and how each piece fits back into the plastic insert.

Melissa & Doug Fridge Food Set