Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on November 2, 2010
My daughter received this jewelry box for her third birthday. I think she's a little young for it, because while she enjoyed decorating the box, it wasn't pretty and the glitter and paints made a mess, but she enjoyed the process and loved getting her own special box.

You would think the wooden tray on top of the box holding all of the decorating supplies would fit down in the jewelry box to become a part of it, but it doesn't. After decorating the box, there's nothing to do with the wooden tray.

Less than a month after my daughter's birthday, the lid came off. I know my daughter is only three, but she wasn't dragging the box around by the lid or anything. She was using it as a storage box for her tiny dolls. Now she's freaking out, and I have to figure out a way to reattach the lid.

I usually love Melissa and Doug toys because they are so durable, but this one definitely falls short.
11 comment51 of 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2013
Here is the product description, cut and pasted, from the product details:
Product Dimensions: 12.7 x 1.7 x 9 inches ; 1.3 pounds

The size dimensions on this are entirely wrong. The box is about the size of a recipe card box. I ordered this for a xmas gift and am highly disappointed at the size. Since it is so close to xmas, I will not be returning, but note that this size description is extremely inaccurate!
on November 7, 2011
This jewelry box is a lot of fun to do together. I got it for my 5-year-old who had developed an obsession for earrings (due to newly pierced ears). She is very much the artistic type, and she had a blast decorating it with her 2-year-old sister. That being said, my main complain is the quality of the adhesives that came with it. The jewels were self-stick, and they did, for about 2 weeks. After that, the jewels systematically began falling off. We glued them back on, but it would have been better to come with a little tube of glue to just glue them on to begin with.
on October 5, 2012
I ordered the Melissa & Doug Jewelry Box-DYO as a birthday gift for my 9yr old daughter. It is very sturdy and is constructed of solid wood. It comes with glue glitter, stickers and gems so your child can decorate it to her liking. The glitter, stickers and gems come in a matching wooden tray that appears to be perfect to fit different pieces of jewelry. The box came packaged in cellophane, and I decided to take it off so I could place the jewelry I bought my daughter into the compartments before I wrapped her gift. However, the tray does not fit into the jewelry box. When I called the number located on the underside of the jewelry box, I was informed that the tray is not meant to fit into the box and that it's only to display the glitter, stickers and gems. It seems like such a waste of materials. Other than a felt-lined piece of foam that poorly separates the inside of the box into two parts, there are no compartments for jewelry. The pictures of the product on Amazon led me to believe that the tray fit into the box, so I was disappointed with that. Nonetheless, my daughter will love it.
on September 17, 2010
This was a great idea for my little girl except that the glue it came with to hold on the hearts didn't stick. All of the hearts fell off, and my little girl cried. I tried hot glue, but that also didn't work. I got annoyed with it and put it in a closet. : (
0Comment15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2012
The box is well build but felt a bit small. The stickers were fun for decorating but the tray you see on top does not fit inside the box and we wish it did.
on August 21, 2012
My Daughter and I both loved decorating this jewelry box together, and she loves having a jewelry box to put all her "jewelry" in.
on June 29, 2014
Cute jewelry box! Fun to decorate! However the tray that stores all the stickers and paint doesn't actually fit into the box. It's pretty much an extra piece that serves no purpose. Doesn't make sense why they wouldn't have it fit. Also, the paint and glue come in the exact same packaging. Since the glue is white, we thought it was paint. After it dried clear we then figured it out. Haha.The box looks kind of messy now!
on April 9, 2012
My 4 year old really enjoyed decorating this box to be used for holding all of her jewelry that she has made. I love how sturdy and cute it is, I just wish the top tray wasn't so pointless. You would think it would fit neatly inside to at least be used, but now it serves no purpose now that it doesnt hold the glitter and supplies.
on December 20, 2011
This box is as described. It has everything needed to make this a one of a kind piece. The construction, color, and items included for personalization are of good quality. It will bring hours of enjoyment to anyone that loves crafting.
11 comment4 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse