5.0 out of 5 stars Durable Crayons That Don't Taste Good, Hurrah
While these crayons do break (if, for example, your toddler leaves them on the floor and you or your husband steps on them, they are likely to break) it would take a lot of concentrated effort to break them while drawing. They are very durable.

We also like that:
Published on December 26, 2008 by Elizabeth

1.0 out of 5 stars Super durable but a nightmare to wash off!
My toddlers loved these crayons when I got them as party favors. So did the other kids. I loved them too - durable, nice colors. Until I found one of my kids had drawn on a wall and the "crayons" would not wash off!

Published 23 months ago by FREELANCE HELPERS INTERNATIONAL

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable Crayons That Don't Taste Good, Hurrah, December 26, 2008
Elizabeth (Washington State, USA) - See all my reviews

We also like that:
-Apparently they do not taste as good as Crayola crayons. My dedicated wax-eater took one bite and has not aimed them at her mouth since.
-They do not have wrappers so your toddler does not need you to repeatedly "open it".
-They come in a fairly durable, handy plastic case.
-They are triangular an thus, do not roll (under the couch, for example).

Cons:
-I have a hard time seeing how I could efficiently sharpen these. Advice in the comments section (besides using one of my dear kitchen knives) is welcome...

My daughter has used the Crayola jumbo-sized crayons and while those are not bad, these are definitely superior. In my opinion, they are worth the price.

Edited 24 January 2011:

I will also add that now, two years later, we bought the new Crayola triangle crayons since these were getting a little worn down. One month after the Christmas Crayola fiasco, we have two of the triangular Crayola crayons, and we still have all of the original Melissa and Doug ones (and the box). The Crayolas broke one after another and the (new) baby got irritated by the paper. I have nothing against Crayola, and we have a lot of their other products. I just thought M&D deserve the credit for an amazingly sturdy product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, plastic case, and my toddler loves them!, May 29, 2008
Sue Ellen Crandell (pittsburgh, pa usa) - See all my reviews
From the mother of a 2.5 year-old:

First, let me say that I didn't realize these came in a plastic case. This is so great, since my son tends to rip apart the typical paper/cardboard crayon boxes on the first day. The case has a clear lid w/ a hinge, and placeholders (little cut-ins that the pointed edge of the triangle can sit it) for each crayon which make it really easy for my son to constantly put them into and then take out of the box over and over.

As far as the quality of the crayons, these have not broken yet and appear to be very difficult to break (provided we can keep them away from the dog, of course). The crayons are thicker and longer than the Crayola triangular crayons, which we've come to learn break very easily. I think the number of crayons in the set (10) is perfect - it provides a good variety of colors to choose from.

I highly recommend these crayons. Try them, you'll be impressed! And your kid(s) will be too!

1.0 out of 5 stars Super durable but a nightmare to wash off!, November 16, 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Jumbo Triangular Crayons (Toy)

I tried soap and water which did nothing. Clorox wipes didn't work either. Goo Gone turned the scribblings into a huge dark smudge that melded into the wall's paint. Only Magic Eraser has cleaned some of it off, with a lot of elbow grease. I've had to do it gently though as it really stains and the wall color is starting to come off. My only remaining solution is to paint the wall.

Alas, my choice of party favors carried this misery to other parents too. One quietly mentioned the crayons did not wash off, as she quickly hid them on a playdate. Honestly, I threw ours out. If you have them, use them under strict supervision - they might be impossible to remove from delicate surfaces like wood.

So, kuddos for Melissa and Doug for inventing a prastic "crayon" that kids cannot break easily and that the LOVE to draw with. But please, have a warning of some sort for parents that it is not washable and is permanent, like Sharpie pens do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent crayons for little fingers, July 20, 2007
H. Bird (Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Jumbo Triangular Crayons (Toy)
My sister-in-law gave these to my son for Christmas, shortly before he turned 3. They are great crayons; they color well, they are easy to grip, they don't roll around, the case is easy to open, and because they are fairly fat, they don't break into several pieces like the slender Crayola crayons. In fact, these are the only crayons I will turn him loose with, as the others break into pieces which then get ground into the carpet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning: NOT washable!, December 31, 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Jumbo Triangular Crayons (Toy)
I got to this product by searching on "washable crayons", so somehow I did not notice that they are NOT washable before I bought them. (Thanks a lot, Amazon search engine!) I was searching for an alternative to Crayola Washable Crayons; which although they have several nice features, were shredded and pulverized by my 2 year old within a couple of months, with lots of cleanup by me.

The Melissa and Doug Jumbo Triangular Crayons are (as other people have written) durable and easy to hold, and work just fine as a coloring device. So I like them for those features.

The problem is, that in the first hour of use, my child had sneaked off into the other room and used one to color my LCD HDTV. Not just a little bit, either, but the whole viewing surface. This is when I discovered that this product is NOT washable. I tried water, alcohol, and formula 409, with very little removed. Finally, Mr Clean Magic Eraser took it off. Unfortunately, the crayons (not the eraser) left subtle scratches in the surface of the LCD due to their hardness.

3.0 out of 5 stars Triangle Crayons, January 9, 2009
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Jumbo Triangular Crayons (Toy)
These crayons seem pretty durable. My 18 month old hasn't broken them yet. My only disappointment is that they are not "soft" crayons. I would say a cross between a colored pencil and a crayon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good "Second" Crayon, February 16, 2009
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Jumbo Triangular Crayons (Toy)
I originally purchased these for my 16-month-old twins as their first crayons, based on other customer reviews that the chunky shape was easier for little hands to hold. I agree with the reviewer who comments that they are not "soft," though, and my toddlers didn't have the strength to push down hard enough to really see good color lines. So, I put them away, and bought both Crayola Washable Markers 8-pk. and Crayola Washable Crayons 16-pk. just so my kids could understand coloring and feel rewarded by seeing the results of their doodling. Now that my kids are 19-months old, and understand what crayons do, I like the Melissa & Doug Crayons, particularly because they don't "bleed" all over things if the kids happen to put them in their mouths (the Crayola washables get really soft and "leaky" when they get wet).

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a favorite, April 7, 2009
kate47 (Salt Lake City, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Jumbo Triangular Crayons (Toy)
My twin g'daughters (five years old) seem to prefer their usual and customary crayons. Still, they were a hit for awhile. I, however, appreciate the fact that these crayons don't roll!! Thanks!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, not great..., September 5, 2011
Megan, a reader (Hollywood, CA United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Jumbo Triangular Crayons (Toy)
I purchased these for my 14-month old so he could start becoming familiar with writing implements and the like based on the good reviews I read here. I know he's too young to use them properly, but I wanted to have them on hand.

Pros:
They're a good size for holding, and the bold colors are great. They write very smoothly which will be great when the time comes, and they seem pretty durable.

Cons:
The biggest negative is that, because of their shape, you can't really use the sides of the crayons unless you're very specific about lining up the triangular corner against the paper. The flat part doesn't really leave any color behind, which was definitely frustrating for my toddler since he obviously didn't know how to use them properly - when he rubbed them on the paper, nothing happened. I leave the review because I imagine for artists it must be annoying as well to not easily be able to use the flat side for shading, etc. Also, I purchased these crayons primarily because a prior reviewer had said that her kid didn't eat these like she did other brands - not so mine. As soon as it went in his mouth, a large purple sliver broke off and stuck to his tongue, which was pretty funny to see him try to get off, but left him covered in purple, me a bit worried, and the crayons on a shelf until he's older. They are a plastic blend, by the way, NOT petroleum-free (which they never stated, but I saw non-toxic and assumed - my fault.) The pale colors (pink especially) are quite pale and hard to see on white paper.

They're okay, probably great for a three or four-year old who is learning to write but still needs chubby implements, but for youngers I'd splurge and go with the beeswax brands, and for olders I'd get something a little more conducive to subtle artistic usage.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for a two year old!, April 20, 2009
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Jumbo Triangular Crayons (Toy)
I love that these are triangular and don't roll. I bought them for a 1 1/2 year old, and at the time, she couldn't press hard enough to make them color on paper - the blue ones did however work nicely on the tile floor! Luckily, they wash off easy. I purchased these from a local retailer and 2 of them were already broken. I would have returned them, but figured they'd end up broken anyway. Six months later, none of the others have broken, so I wish I would have returned them and gotten a new set. For a young artist, I would recommend the 'SO Big Crayons' made by Crayola even if she has to chase them as they roll off the table. These are great for a two year old though.

Melissa & Doug Jumbo Triangular Crayons