4.0 out of 5 stars Great product! Now if only my kids liked it...
Published on August 10, 2010 by Frogleggy

2.0 out of 5 stars Not wood, cardboard!
Published on February 2, 2012 by MistySky

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product! Now if only my kids liked it..., August 10, 2010
Frogleggy (California, USA) - See all my reviews
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Lace and Trace Shapes (Toy)
I'm very happy with the quality of these lacing shapes: sturdy wooden cutouts, bright colors, good-quality laces. However, my kids (ages 6 and 3) couldn't be less interested in them. Wait, I take that back. They're VERY interested in the laces. I find those wrapped around, twisted and tied to all sorts of OTHER toys. But never to the intended shapes. On the rare occasion they use the laces and shapes together, it is to string the lace through a single hole and swing the shape over their heads helicopter style. *sigh* I suppose I should admire their creativity...

But if your kids are the type that will sit and play quietly, buy this toy with confidence. It's top quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Anything Melissa & Doug!, January 2, 2008
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Lace and Trace Shapes (Toy)
These lacing cards are great! I had been searching for some and then it occured to me to search Melissa & Doug products, and there they were - and lots of other choices too. They are well made and durable, the laces can get a little bunched up sometimes, and perfect for keeping the girls (2 & 4) reverent during church.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, December 31, 2009
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Lace and Trace Shapes (Toy)
The lacing cards are made of wood instead of cardboard. The thickness makes it easier for my three year old to hold and lace without bending the cards. The laces are bright colors and have extra length which allows for creative lacing. The laces do snag on the wooden holes a little, but they seem to be holding up great.

The cards/laces come in a wooden case, but since there is no lid, it's not a very good box for storing them in. I've been lacing up the cards and tying the extra length of the lace in a bow to keep the pieces together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Small Motor Activity, December 22, 2008
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Lace and Trace Shapes (Toy)
My son really enjoys the lacing shapes. It is a cognitive bonus that the shapes are painted to be items that are recognizable to most children. I have even used these in my neighborhood preschool and all of the children enjoy the lacing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not wood, cardboard!, February 2, 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Lace and Trace Shapes (Toy)
Ultimately I still had to give this toy two stars because no matter what the kids use it for, or what its made out of, it still did its job. There were no problems with the actual item that affected there use. When my kids actually sat down and used these correctly they worked fine. Let's face it though, kids will be kids and these things make great necklaces, Frisbees, and yes, helicopters. I keep these in the game and puzzle cupboard because I think this is the type of toy that needs at least some adult supervision.

I had to give 2 stars because I thought these were going to be made from wood. When I took them out of the package I was really disappointed to find out they were no more than sturdy cardboard. Since all of my other Melissa and Doug toys are wood I assumed these would be made of wood also. Even the little carton was made of sturdy cardboard, which I wouldn't mind if I didn't feel like that was adding insult to injury.

3.0 out of 5 stars Serves its purpose, but isn't super fun, May 28, 2013
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Lace and Trace Shapes (Toy)
My daughter really doesn't care too much about these...she knows all her shapes and colors and can sort of lace them (she's only 2 1/2), so we practice that with her, but the laces are way too long when you're done and then she gets mad that there is a ton extra and you can't continue...seems kind of odd to me as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Educational and Durable, July 18, 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Lace and Trace Shapes (Toy)
These are great because the shapes are not too complicated but are still enough of a challenge to make them worth buying. They are sturdy as well. These help to teach hand-eye coordination, and I would recommend them.

5.0 out of 5 stars great toy, January 5, 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Lace and Trace Shapes (Toy)
My 4 year olds love this. It takes patience, helps improve hand-eye coordination, and they don't fight over it, since there's plenty of cards for them to share at the same time. Worthwhile purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars not good, December 18, 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Lace and Trace Shapes (Toy)
My two year old loves to play with the strings but to lace these boards is a little more difficult. Since they are made of cardboard, the the strings catch on the holes. Making them a little harder for a two year old to handle.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for fine and gross motor, October 9, 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Lace and Trace Shapes (Toy)
great for fine and gross motor skills for my asd son.. He enjoys threading the lace and sometimes likes to skip every other loop.. I think it help's to allow him to do this because if he doesn't go in order he is also learning how to cross his midline

Melissa & Doug Lace and Trace Shapes