5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for developing tracing skills
Published on January 11, 2009 by T. Fletcher

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as well-liked as I expected
My 3.5 and 1.5 year old had more fun watching me play with this than they did playing with it themselves. The magnet is not very strong, so it is hard to "hold on" to the balls. It also needs to be on a perfectly flat surface to work properly, which makes it not the best for traveling.
Published on October 12, 2011 by lynate

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent for developing tracing skills, January 11, 2009
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Magnetic Color Maze (Toy)
i got the toy for my 3 and a half year old son for xmas. i saw a similar toy in a catalog for twice as much money and this one just won my heart over, not only because of its price but because my son is a huge animal fan. when he plays with the maze he is learning how to hold his pencil correctly and he is practicing his tracing skills without even noticing it. the magnetic "pencil" is short enough to hold it different ways so when his little hand gets tired holding it correctly he can still grab it as he would a crayon. the magnetic tip is positioned the way the he learns how to manipulate the "pencil" either way he holds it. the maze has a durable clear shield over it, great fun for car-rides. it is very colorful, pretty and well made like all Melissa and Doug toys. i would highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy--may not age well., March 3, 2009
K. Kelly (Murfreesboro, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Magnetic Color Maze (Toy)
I love the concept of this toy, as I do most Melissa and Doug toys. The colorful characters are great representations of real-life animals-which kids love learning about. Then the color identification combined with the sorting skills and motor skill development will allow the toy to grow with the child. Plus, magnetic toys always are a bit magical to little ones and big ones alike.
I'm not totally sure about the construction, however. I got the toy as a birthday gift for my two-year-old nephew. Even before I wrapped it I noticed that under the plexiglass top there was a bit of dusty cardboard (or fiberboard) residue, especially in the colored circle areas. Then, at the party, when he unwrapped it I saw that some of the balls were jammed into one area and would not move. After some shaking, tapping, and working on it with the magnetic wand, we were able to dislodge them, but if the same thing happens later, I doubt he'll have the same success without help. Finally, I noticed that where we had worked with the magnetic wand, scratches (though faint) had already appeared on the plexiglass. I don't know how much play it would take for the whole toy to lose it's luster, but it seemed as if the top will become cloudy pretty quickly.
I still think overall this is a great toy, and the details may never matter to the child, but it was at least a little disappointing to me--probably most of all because it was a gift.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as well-liked as I expected, October 12, 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, not a good buy, July 22, 2009
Shelly Love (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Magnetic Color Maze (Toy)
I am very disappointed with the functionality of this toy. The marbles roll out of the color "pockets" at the slightest movement of the board which makes it very frustrating to use. My 5 year old won't even touch it anymore after all of this hard work was ruined.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnetic puzzle, March 16, 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Magnetic Color Maze (Toy)
This puzzle has a magnetic wand that is used to sort beads by color into "colored animals" on the puzzle. The durability of the puzzle is great. Several people have played with the puzzle without damage. I work with adults with severe to profound developmental disabilities. Finding something that keeps their attention and that they cannot break in one session is a challenge. Infection control is easy as the puzzle is covered with a type of plexiglass that can be cleaned with spray cleansers and wiped off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute & fun, but better for older kids, December 25, 2009
R. Pohli (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Magnetic Color Maze (Toy)
I was looking for another Christmas present for my toddler (she's 2-yrs, almost 8 months)...and I saw this magnetic puzzle game. We've always loved Melissa & Doug products, and I thought this seemed a great value, and a good educational opportunity for her.

It is, indeed, very cute & well-made. The magnetic wand controls the balls well IF it is held flat against the acrylic cover plate. Another important requirement is that the board be laid down completely flat (as in, NOT held on the child's lap) or the balls just roll right out of the number areas. (Keeping it flat adequately solves the problem of the balls rolling out of their assigned areas, a frustration that caused someone else to give this toy 1 star). It has the potential to be good color-matching practice, IF a child is at that level.

All this to say that this is a fun toy, but is not exactly fitting for my toddler. She can play around with it, making the little balls move around, enjoying doing that for a short time, but I would say that it doesn't really become a great educational toy until the child is around 3-1/2 to 4 years old and really starts to fully grasp colors and the concept of moving the colored balls to their corresponding colored area (something my toddler really doesn't get yet). My older daughter (just turned 6) can play with it and fully appreciate the learning potential: mostly hand-eye coordination, since she obviously already knows her colors well, and has for years. I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 simply because I was disappointed that it didn't work out as I thought for my toddler, but that may just as well be my fault for not anticipating the level of difficulty that it would present for her. All in all, I would recommend this toy, but just for an older child.

3.0 out of 5 stars for children over 3, February 3, 2010
K. Dandrade (Reardan, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Magnetic Color Maze (Toy)
I got this for my 3 year old daughter and she loved the colors and the concept, but when actually playing with it we found out there were a couple of things we all didn't like. One; the string is too short (perhaps this is just our though) to really get to the bottom animals. Two; you can only have one ball through the "maze" at a time, so there is a lot of extra work moving them. And finally; the magnetic stick has to be almost completely straight up and down for it to hold on to the balls (or else it drops them). So my 3 year old got very frustrated with this very fast...(she knows how to use the computer, but got frustrated with this "puzzle maze?"), but my 5 year old neice didn't have a problem with it and played with it for a while. I don't know how 4 year olds would be with this, but we will see and bring it back out in a year. For now it is being stored away, and I can't wait to bring it out. It's a great concept, but just a little finiky, and in ways we can't fix right now...so we will just have to wait. This is a great toy, just not for the younger crowd. :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, poor execution, July 15, 2010
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Magnetic Color Maze (Toy)
In concept, this is great. However, the balls roll too easily, and it's easy to move them by bumping or angling the board. You have to hold the magnetic wand at just the right angle to get the balls rolling. Plus the plastic screen sometimes catches glare from lights, which my daughter tries to fix by picking it up which then fails as all the balls start rolling. At that point, my daughter (3.5 years old) gets frustrated and walks away even though she understands the concept and is able to use it. My son (15 months old) then picks it up and shakes it, which he enjoys, so it basically served as a large rectangular rattle. Fun for him, but not what I intended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to keep magnets, January 11, 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Magnetic Color Maze (Toy)
It's hard to keep the little balls attached to the magnet pen. You have to hold the pen straight up to get it to work. Wish the magnets were stronger, especially for the use of children.

I haven't had the toy very long, but am wondering how much the plastic covering will get scratched with time and use?

Keep the board flat on the table/floor or the balls move around on their own.

But, I still think it's a great educational toy once you get the hang of it. With little kids, it'll take a little longer, but they eventually get it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Colorful Attraction, June 16, 2009
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Magnetic Color Maze (Toy)
Kids 7 and under are fascinated by and attracted to this product. Groups fight over who will get to use it first. Use the opportunity as a learning moment of sharing and patiently waiting ones turn (even for 2 yr olds). I expected no less from the Melissa and Doug line. As a side benefit, it is great for fine motor dvlpmt and use with special needs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›