Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Melissa & Doug Magnetic Picture Maker
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on March 28, 2011
Would not buy this item again. The pieces need to be placed from top to bottom because of the magnetic pen which will move the pieces already in place. Moving the pen near any pieces makes them move and causes continual frustration trying to get pieces to stay in place. My daughter played with this for less than 10 mins and has not returned to it once, although sticker mosaics have kept her attention until completed. All in all this is a good theory but poorly executed.
on April 26, 2011
I really like the idea of this game, there is no mess and the picture cards store right inside. However, there were a couple problems with it. First, a couple of the discs didn't have magnets in them. So they wouldn't pick up. That frustrated my younger children. The second challenge was that the magnet in the wand wasn't powerful enough. So it was difficult to get the disc to the right spot. Also, just as a note, the wand is detachable. So we lost it within a few days, but have since found it. I have a 7, 5 and 18 month old. As cool as this toy sounded, no one really plays with for more than a minute or two in our house.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon July 23, 2015
Although the product's description has it aimed at preschoolers and those in elementary school, it seems better designed for older children ( unless they're working as a team with younger siblings). When I tested it myself, I actually found this somewhat challenging until I discovered a system for separating the colors and putting them into place. Even then it took a sharp eye to ensure that each piece fell into the proper hole - or that the magnetic stick didn't slide two of the colored "dots" into a space meant for only 1 color.

To sum it up....there is a learning curve for using this magnetic board but the temporary challenges and frustrations help develop patience and perseverance...and it does take both to get each colored dot in the appropriate space.

A couple of the pieces didn't contain strong enough magnets for the magnetic stick to pick up. Even so, it is entertaining for those 10 and up and perhaps even skilled 8 year olds. But 4 year olds? Highly doubtful.
on November 14, 2012
I am surprised by the poor reviews for this toy. We have had this toy for over a year (maybe 2) and it has held up perfectly. We use it as a quiet toy for church. My two year old can't assemble the pictures, but enjoys playing with it. My 5 year old can do the pictures, and although it takes some time he does not get frustrated. It has helped him with his correct pencil grasp as well. My 8 year old can do the pictures quickly and without any problems. I have not noticed any faulty disks. The case is intact and looks almost like new. The cards are heavy duty and are undamaged. I have had many friends and their children admire this toy, and other children are always anxious to play with it. I have recommended it to other parents because of the quality and because it is quiet and not messy! It is large, but fits easily into our tote bag that we take to church. I was actually looking for it online for a friend who saw it this past Sunday and I wanted to help her find a place to buy it, and I was truly shocked by the low rating this toy had! We keep it in our "Sunday Bag" so this is probably why it has held up so well, but it seems very sturdy and well made. Overall I would recommend this to anyone who wants a nice, quiet, attention keeping toy for a place like church or maybe going to a restaurant.
on February 18, 2015
This is a fantastic toy for children who enjoy arts and crafts type toys. They create art using tiny magnetic colored pieces. This keeps my child occupied for a long time since you have to move piece by piece to make the picture. It was a great buy.
on November 2, 2015
I bought this for my 2 year old. She had difficulty using the magnet. She gets frustrated easily so it is a toy that will be brought out when she is a little older. I am sure if she was older and didn't get so frustrated I would give this 4 or 5 stars. Just not meant for the younger ones. My husband likes to play with it. :)
on June 2, 2016
Bought this for a two and four year old. It did not spark their interest at all, which really surprised me because I thought they'd really like it. It is large and hard to maneuver, discs are difficult if not impossible to move to the right spot with the pen, oh and one false move and all discs shift and the picture is ruined. I was hoping to take this to church or something like another reviewer did but I think I'll keep this still and try again when they're older.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 8, 2014
I cannot even begin to express how awful this product is! It's horrible and frustrating even for my husband and me. There are quite a few flaws in this product that make it completely unusable and an annoyance every time I see it. First off, the magnetic is not even strong enough to carry the Skittle-like pieces for even a few inches. Some of the disks don't seem to even have magnets in them, not sure if this is the case or if it's simply due to the weak magnetic connection between the pieces and the wand. The space between the wells and the plastic front piece, is frequently so small that it does not allow the pieces to move to certain areas of the board. This seems like such a great idea for quiet entertainment and motor-skill development but just ends up being a very quick way to get frustrated. don't waste your money.
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Dear Amazon Customer-
Thank you for you comments on the Magnetic Picture Maker. I would love to speak with you to get some additional information and to help you. Please call me at #800-284-3948.
Thanks!
Beth Miller
on December 27, 2015
I purchased 2 of these, one for my 2 1/2 year old son and one for my 3 year old nephew both were given to the boys as a Christmas gift. My sister picked one up to gift to her sons preschool class. They LOVED them! They are very well made and a really nice large size. I love the fact that the pieces stay inside the clear front, which allows them to take them in the car, out to dinner, to church, doctors visit.. Basically anywhere you don't want the kids to make a mess and to be quiet. It comes with several sturdy pictures so they won't get board easily. My 3 year old daughter loves it as well. My 8 year old has picked it up a few times and has enjoyed it himself. Ok ok ok so have I. Lol. Worth every penny. It's one of theses toys that will last forever and I plan on keeping it for my children's children to play with. Great item!
on February 7, 2016
Easy to use & no pieces to lose! Update: Picture cards fall out easily if the rather large unit is not held with top end higher than the bottom when playing. Could use a snap or piece of velcro of something to hold them in place.

See 1 answered question