4.0 out of 5 stars Nice dollhouse.
We bought this dollhouse last Christmas for my daughter, who was 2 1/2. She has really enjoyed playing with it this year, and I suspect she'll keep playing with it for many years to come. My son, who is 1, enjoys climbing it (not my favorite use of the dollhouse).

Published on November 24, 2009 by Sarah Logan

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to usual Melissa & Doug quality standard
I have four children and we have many Melissa & Doug toys at our house. All of the various M&D playthings we own have been very sturdy, high quality toys at a great price, especially compared to other wooden toys, like from the Hearthsong and Magic Cabin catalogs.

Published on December 25, 2009 by Catherine Granju

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice dollhouse., November 24, 2009

I like that the inside is pretty plain/neutral (too bad the outside isn't also) and that it came with a decent amount of furniture and dolls. My daughter also plays with little princess dolls in it, so don't feel like you're limited to what comes with the set--they will find other things to use in the house--ponies, pom-poms, whatetver.

The top part (the roof) does come off sometimes and I have to pop it back on. If I would get some glue to "reinforce" it then that probably would stop happening. It makes it a bit tricky to move. Also, because of the balconies and steps, it's hard to put the house up against the wall. You can take them off if you want to keep it that way.

I bought this on amazon for one price (around Black Friday), and later they lowered it significantly. Keep an eye on the price, because it fluctuates a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming imaginative dollhouse, with one red-flag during assembly, July 28, 2012
Jeffrey (Silicon Valley) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Multi-Level Wooden Dollhouse (Toy)
This is a fun and attractive dollhouse that my kids have loved for two+ years -- so much that they recently pooled their own money to buy a second identical one! I just finished assembling it and thought I'd report back to you while they move into the new neighborhood with their dolls.

In a world of branded, mass-marketed plastic junk, I appreciate this house's all-wooden construction and the calm, realistic, traditional architecture. The interior spaces are spare and make a good canvas for a child's imagination. There's flexibility in arranging the interior staircases, and the plain wooden walls can be left bare or decorated with art or wallpaper, or even painted (I'd advise before assembly). The exterior is cheerful, with an attractive mansard roof, dormers & balconies. The house comes with a full set of chunky wooden furniture that's well-suited for smaller kids. Amazon of course offers an excellent price and rapid shipping.

Assembly is simple and fast. ADVICE: Assembly step #8 asks you to join the corners of the roof using two plastic clips. But the mansard roof contains some complex angles, and if the roof panels do not fit perfectly, then the clips simply do not engage. This leaves you with an unfixed roof that could easily loosen. My first build worked okay, but in today's second build the roof panels were slightly off and the roof clips did not engage.

I solved the problem this way. If in Step 7 you have the slightest problem getting the roof panels to fit perfectly, you will be better off (a) to avoid Step 8 and (b) to modify Step 7. Instead of friction-fitting the pegs in Step 7, I used gel Super Glue to secure the plastic pegs permanently in the holes, and a bead of Titebond at the wood-wood junctions. (Gorilla Glue would also work, but use it carefully.) I just threw away the plastic clips and skipped Step 8 entirely.

My other advice: In steps 1, 3, and 6 keep the hex bolts LOOSE until the panel edges are seated within the grooves. The fit is tight and you'll appreciate being able to wobble the joints to get the edges to pop into the grooves. Once they've popped in, then go ahead and tighten, and the force of the bolts will pull the joint together nicely.

Then welcome to your new house! We've gotten thousands of hours of quality fun from ours.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to usual Melissa & Doug quality standard, December 25, 2009

Unfortunately, this particular M&D dollhouse - which Santa brought for Christmas today - is a bit of a disappointment compared to what we've come to expect from this company. It's simply not very well made. We followed the assembly instructions to the letter, so this is definitely a quality problem and not an assembly issue.

The pieces of the dollhouse fit together loosely and come apart when you try to move the dollhouse. This is especially true of the top floor, which comes off very easily. The doll furniture is cheaply glued together and one chair already came apart. The balconies that attach to the front of the dollhouse don't fit right and so they jiggle when you touch them instead of staying affixed as they should. The dollhouse appears to be made of rather flimsy laminate wood or particle board and isn't as sturdy and thick as the Melissa & Doug castle and barn that we already have.

It's hard to imagine that this dollhouse will really hold up to active play. My husband says he envisions using a lot of wood glue over time to try to keep the thing held together. I really can't recommend this dollhouse, especially compared to other Melissa & Doug items. Go for something sturdier.

1.0 out of 5 stars JUNK!, January 11, 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Multi-Level Wooden Dollhouse (Toy)
I have purchased Melissa & Doug toys many times, but this Multi-level Wooden dollhouse is a piece of manufactured garbage. Two days before my daughters birthday, we put it together, but two screws don't fit (because the threads inside of the adjacent pieces are perpendicular to the correct direction they should be going and the "clips" that fasten the roof together don't even fit and are so cheaply made the roof would probably crash down on my little girl while she played (and she is pretty gentle with her toys). Do not buy this toy, ESPECIALLY for this kind of money. You will be completely disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Dissapointed, January 1, 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Multi-Level Wooden Dollhouse (Toy)
I purchased this dollhouse for my grand-daughter for Christmas. We attempted to put it together the weekend of Thanksgiving. Everything went well until we got to the first floor. You must attach the floor with four screws, well one of the threads in the floor was not aligned correctly and the screw could not be inserted. I contacted the company and they sent out a new floor. It took a week and a half to ship from NJ to PA. But we were thrilled it got here in time and proceeded to put the doll house together. We unwrapped the floor and there was a rail missing that you need to attach the screws. This was on a Friday and the company was closed...I emailed them as well as Melissa and Doug directly. I have yet to get a response form either. Monday morning I called again and after a lengthy discussion they agreed to send out another first floor. I asked if they could send it overnight and they said that since it was only going to PA that wouldn't be necessary ...yeah, it arrived 2 days before Christmas. Well, that piece was correct and we happily moved to the third floor. Yep 3 of the 4 screw went in OK but the 4th one caught on the thread and just turned, we can't get it in or out. At this point I was so disgusted but I had no choice but to finish it and give this gift as I had not time to purchase anything else. This gift I had so anticipated giving to my grand-daughter ended up being a great disappointment. Seems very cheaply constructed. The balconies appear ready to fall off at any moment, the corners on the roof keep pooping off. I bought this on the reputation of the company.I have to say I will never purchase another item with the Melissa and Doug logo again

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE! ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!, December 28, 2010
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Multi-Level Wooden Dollhouse (Toy)
Let me just begin by saying the Melissa and Doug dollhouse people are adorable and we would get those again in a heartbeat. However, this dollhouse is a nightmare. To set up, it's terrible, I tried then my husband finally got the darn thing set up, it fell apart when I went to move it from one room to another, a piece of wood slivered off, it wasn't sanded well and I got splinters while setting it up, it would have been darling had the wood been well sanded and the roof been attached better. I am going to spend the extra money and go with a dollhouse from Pottery Barn. I was really shocked since we have SO MANY Melissa and Doug toys and products that this dollhouse was so horrible but seriously, don't even think to order it, you could do much better, trust me, spend a bit more and get a better dollhouse, this one is junk! It was a pain in the neck to set up and it was not durable at all, when toddlers are playing with a toy the durability matters and this toy is just a complete FAIL, I wouldn't ever buy another melissa and doug dollhouse but will buy other products by them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cute Dollhouse but BEWARE of quality issue, January 12, 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Multi-Level Wooden Dollhouse (Toy)
**PLEASE READ** This is a cute dollhouse, but be warned, it was poorly manufactured. The pieces didn't line up and the screws and holes didn't line up, I have to re-drill some holes to make it fit. The pegs and there holes for the windows, balcony, and front stairs didn't quite line up either, and the ones that did fit together didn't hold and I had to glue it. The roof I had to be glued together because the three main pieces didn't hold properly with the clips provided, they kept falling apart when I moved the dollhouse. There is defiantly a manufacturing quality issue with this. Also note*** there was a lot of rough edges in the wood that can create slivers, so buy some sand paper if you choose to purchase this house. For a Melissa and Doug product, I was surprised to see such a quality issue. If you can put it together and it stays together your kids will like it, but beware.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ill-fitting pieces, much frustration, December 23, 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Multi-Level Wooden Dollhouse (Toy)
We bought this for my four-year-old daughter for Christmas and have no doubt that she will love it. But it is far from easy to assemble, as none of the pieces fit together properly. None of them. Some parts are just loosely held on by small pegs. We will be using wood glue to better hold it together, but the roof is so poorly designed there's not much that can be done with it. This one may be cheaper than some dollhouses, especially since it includes so much furniture, but it has some flaws that should be addressed no matter what they're charging for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun to decorate!, January 18, 2013
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Multi-Level Wooden Dollhouse (Toy)
My 2- and 4-year-old daughters received this doll house for Christmas and they LOVE it! We keep it on top of a small toy storage unit so they aren't tempted to climb on it - it's definitely not intended as a climbing toy! The inside is very plain, so we took scrapbook paper and Mod Podge and decorated the inside. It gives the house a unique look, especially since my 4-year-old selected the paper!

If you're going to try this, I would recommend gluing the paper on before you assemble the house. It will make it much easier!

Overall, this is a great house - much more durable than plastic ones. It comes with a lot of furniture and the girls have already enjoyed hours of creative play time!

5.0 out of 5 stars wood dollhouse, December 25, 2009
Santa said this was very easy to put together and very durable. Our 4 year old daughter was sooo excited and has played with it non stop. We love Melissa and Doug products never got one we didn't like.

Melissa & Doug Multi-Level Wooden Dollhouse