Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Melissa & Doug Pattern Blocks and Boards
Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Package Quantity: 1|Change

on July 14, 2013
Melissa & Doug puzzles are great for children of all ages and provoke individual thought as well as teaching basic ideas about directions and patterns. They show that its OK to go "out of the box" and see what you can do with presenting different ideas or possibilities. This is probably one of the more stimulating for going outside of the lines of normal!
on April 15, 2013
I bought this super young and tried introducing it a few times along the way, but this time it's a huge hit. 3 1/2 was the magic number. He's into naming shapes right now and being able to match them up on the pattern is pretty fun. Not as fun as launching a full on helicopter dinosaur fire rescue mind you, but still engaging enough to play on his own for a little while. Durable for sure, REALLY needs to come with a better lid for all the dang pieces, but what can you do? Go buy a dang dollar tote and get over it I guess. Also, as a math mom, you might as well introduce the proper names for the shapes now while you can. If you're really into it you can talk about angles and tessalation later. Their geometry teacher will thank you later.
on January 1, 2013
Title says it all in a nutshell...

Yet another M&D product that looks great in the package, but shame on me for buying 2 products & not realizing that once opened, both have nothing to contain contents when stowing away!

It was painful to watch my 4 yr old grandson carefully place each piece on the board, only to have each piece shift due to the slippery board factor. He then asked me to "do it", almost giving up. That's NOT a fun toy! The kid is bright so I hope he will forego using the boards provided. (Someone mentioned using a silicon type of (clear?) mat over the boards so I'll look for something clear that I can cut down.) But will he even be interested by then? A bit late when the company could have already done something about this (like including a clear non-slip mat to place over the boards)

But what to do about the lack of a lid/cover?

I stuck out twice with M&D today. (see my other review written prior to this one)

What on earth is this company thinking....??
on December 27, 2014
My only qualm and the reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is the fact that when my kid tries to do all the pictures there are some shapes that she runs out of and other shapes are in excess. Besides that it's a neat durable toy for toddlers
on March 30, 2014
Disappointed and feel like wasted money when my daughter opened the set. Why didn't Melissa & Doug make puzzle hole for the pieces? You pretty much just lay pieces on top of coloring board and pieces don't stay. Storing box is just as bad, no cover to keep 100 pieces around? I won't recommend to anyone
on May 10, 2015
Despite being new, the small wooden pieces look worn and the colors are faded. The general impression is that of a toy manufactured in the 80's and stored for over 30 years!
This should never have passed quality control!

@Melissa@Doug, please do not copy paste your standart boiler plate response.
review image
VINE VOICEon March 29, 2012
This was purchased for a 2 3/4 year old boy. He finds it interesting and plays with it often. It does a nice job in helping to develop both motor skills and mental acuity. Mellisa and Doug toys are very durable.
on January 21, 2013
Nothing could be better then these blocks for a child that is bored or having to stay indoors. My neice had her tonsils removed and she was unable to talk for a few days. She had the most fun with these blocks and was never boed with them. It is an ever changing toy.
on December 20, 2014
I have the same problem as someone who reviewed this yesterday -- although it's packaged as new, all of the blocks look like they have been used and abused for years. The paint is chipped all around the edges, the corners are dull with the paint chipped off, and there are scratches in the paint of the faces of some of the blocks. I've requested a replacement, but wonder if it will be any better.

UPDATE:
Amazon replaced this item for me -- and it arrived in time for Christmas thanks to two-day shipping. The replacement looked soo much better. The pieces looked new and not chipped. My only wish, as other have said, would be for a solid lid that attaches to the box. I also kind of wish the patterns had grooves for the blocks to fit in to, although I think it is a good challenge not to have them. Just a little frustrating for a not-quite-three-year-old. But will likely be great when she is a little older.
on January 10, 2015
The adults as well as the kids enjoyed this fun block set. We looked forward to playing with it over and over. Little two year-old gran-daughter plays with it. Good size and blocks are easy to pick up and place.