5.0 out of 5 stars The best money money can buy!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:03 Mins
This is my review of the Melissa & Doug Play Money Set. Note the fantastic WOODEN storage box and the accurate size of the coins and bills. I love this!

Published on March 4, 2011 by D. Hustedt

2.0 out of 5 stars Our set did not have the sliding lid
Published on May 7, 2011 by melcat

5.0 out of 5 stars The best money money can buy!, March 4, 2011
Length:: 2:03 Mins

UPDATE (4/1/2014): It has been brought to my attention that it no longer comes with the plastic cover. Bummer! But after four years in the hands of two very rowdy children, and three moves across country, the wooden box and its contents have held up quite nicely!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome money teaching tool!, March 8, 2007
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Play Money Set (Toy)
I purchased this for my son's [...]classroom, and also one for our home. They're learning about money and using little paper laminated coins ... annoying! I brought this in and they were THRILLED to have it and it makes it more realistic to learn the coins and dollars with what they really look like. It's terrific at home, too - my kids set up a little store at home and buy things from each other. Much better product than anything I've seen out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for kids, January 5, 2007
Martha Bush (Cayman Islands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Play Money Set (Toy)
Excellent product - not just for kids!

I use this for training bank tellers in cash handling operations.

5.0 out of 5 stars play money, April 7, 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Play Money Set (Toy)
WOW - that about sums it up. I have always loved Melissa & Doug products and this is another product they have gone over the top. The money is very realistic - all of the bills are the same size as real bills as are the coins. As others have mentioned, I also like that the pennies are a copper color as opposed the the same gray plastic color of the other coins.

The paper the bills are made of, I feel is sturdy. It feels like multi-purpose copy paper and should last quite a while. Keep in mind, it is still paper, so it may rip if you are rough with it.

I also like the quality of the coins. They are not a thin plastic. They are a heavier plastic, that when dropped on the counter, floor etc they sound similar to real coins dropping.

The money comes in a wooden case with markings on the bottom (underneath the bills & coins) as to where each denomination goes. Also has a clear, plexiglass cover that slides back over the money - major bonus in clean up and storage.

There are plenty of bills and coins of each denomination to have a great time playing. We also use this money with our 8 yr old daughter for her allowance, b-day money etc. We trade out the real money for the play money and she keeps the play money in her purse. When we go shopping and she want to buy anything, we trade the play money for real. This teaches her responsibility while giving us peace of mind that she has not lost real money in her room.:)

5.0 out of 5 stars This set ROCKS!, December 29, 2008
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Play Money Set (Toy)
I teach high school special education and purchased this set to create a "school store" for my students to shop at. They love earning "money", saving it in their banks and "shopping" at my store once a week. The money provides a good representation of real currency and gives the students an opportunity to practice functional money skills. Also, I love that the set came with a cash register style tray with a clear slide on lid. This set is FANTASTIC!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very realistic product. Kids love it., June 30, 2008
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Play Money Set (Toy)
I used this product to teach a class on money to kids age 9-12. They loved it. The product is very realistic looking and suited our venue perfectly. The handy wooden tray was useful and convenient because it comes with a clear plastic cover and the kids used it as a 'cash drawer'.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good learning set, December 30, 2007
S. Hager (Central Minnesota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Play Money Set (Toy)
This money is great for learning the different types of coins and the paper money is sturdier than most. I was a little dissapointed as the coins are too wide for the learning/play cash register I also purchased. Over all, great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves this, December 31, 2007
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Play Money Set (Toy)
I bought this for my seven year old son because he is learning how to make change at school and wants to practice. He says he loves it, he wouldn't change a thing about it and it is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Money Set!, December 4, 2009
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Play Money Set (Toy)
We bought the Learning Resources Cash Register recently for my daughter and I wanted some play money to go with it. Well, I quickly found out that the Melissa & Doug Coins do not match the Learning Resources coins.. they are bigger so give the wrong value when you put the coin in the cash register.. so, that is incredibly confusing and annoying..!

However, with that being said, this play money set is incredibly realistic! They are bigger than the Learning Resources money, but they are accurate! The Learning Resources money is smaller than the "real" deal, but not the Melissa & Doug money! Excellent on the coins. I do wish the money was better "quality" - as you get the money around a young kiddo.. and yeah.. its paper - things happen, money is crinkled, ripped, it just requires adult supervision!

One more thing to note - I did order this item off Amazon.. and I didnt receive any dimes! Instead, I received a double thing of nickles! So, I called Melissa & Doug and they sent me a set of dimes.. free of charge. Another reason why I Love Melissa & Doug.. excellent customer service and excellent toys!

2.0 out of 5 stars Our set did not have the sliding lid, May 7, 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Play Money Set (Toy)
Overall this set is nice and has a nice wood drawer. HOWEVER, ours DID NOT come with the sliding lid - which was the main reason I bought this set - because I thought I would be able to keep everything contained and not have to worry about the bills and coins falling out. I'm very disappointed that it did not come with the sliding lid. I noticed some people have received the lid - but be aware that some sets do not. In our wood drawer, there isn't even any grooves where you could slide a lid in. Considering sending it back because of this.

Melissa & Doug Play Money Set