Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Style Name: Playful Pets Jigsaw Puzzle 12 pc|Change

on April 4, 2011
I posted this review on my blog: ([...])

A hint for anyone who buys these wooden puzzles. For reasons I do NOT understand, the puzzle does not have a picture in the wooden tray. I would think that since this is a beginner puzzle it should have a picture. A removable laminated one would be perfect giving the puzzle a longer life so that the picture could be removed upping the level of difficulty, but it does not. So I fixed that. I put the puzzle together and scanned it. Then I printed it out and taped it carefully in the wooden tray. Now my 3 yr old twins can match the pieces to the background. Later as they get better at "snap" puzzles as we call them, I'll remove the picture. Just a tip!
11 comment|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2007
My 2-1/2 yr old son enjoys puzzles,so this was a good first "jig sawy" type one to step up to. No photo underneath, but there's one on the back for parents to refer to. I am not sure if he's memorized where everything goes or if he's actually looking at the picture & matching stuff up. All the same, he loves this one as well as the 24 piece versions we're just starting him on. THe puzzles are very durable; a bit tight-fitting in the beginning, but will multiple use, the pieces go together more smoothly. No splitters; no cons so far to this; fits in a puzzle organzier.
on April 28, 2008
We put this on our daughter's list along with some other ones of the same type for far-away relatives to consider for christmas. She has 4 of them & does them almost daily. She is almost 3, but fiercely independent & loves the accomplishment. I am glad they don't have the picture on the tray on the bottom as it would make it too easy for her to master them. We have had them for over 4 months now & haven't had any chipping or splinters. Yes, there are sometimes where she is grumpy & gets whiny about how she can't do it, but that's when we just take a cue to sit with her as she usually just wants some company. Depending on the day, her mood, it is a good toy for her to busy herself with alone or something one of us can sit & do with her. We're adding some new ones to the list for her birthday.
on March 24, 2011
For the cost, this puzzle is not well made. The pieces were locked together so firmly that the puzzle was very difficult to get apart. The edges had visible splinters, and over the course of a few days, the tray warped to the point that it doesn't sit flat on a table. The edges of the image on the pieces began to fray immediately as the puzzle was taken apart. To make the puzzle usable, I had to spend 15 minutes sanding the interlocking edges, placing a slight bevel on the bottom of each piece. I then rubbed a white crayon on each edge surface. This made the puzzle easy to work for my 2 year old grand daughter. On the plus side, the image is bright and colorful, and the puzzle is simple enough for a toddler to work. Considering that the puzzle is made in China and probably cost next to nothing to produce, they could have spent a few minutes finishing the edges of the pieces and lacquering the image so that it is more durable.
on October 3, 2012
My kids, 3 and 2, love this puzzle. My 3 year old can put it together on her own, and my 2 year old needs a little help but he loves snapping the puzzle pieces in place. The wooden pieces are definitely pretty tight, but it's definitely workable. The edges of the pictures are showing a little wear, but it's been put together more than a dozen times, so I imagine that's pretty normal. All in all, I love it!
on July 2, 2008
My daughter got this puzzle when she just turned a year old and she has used and abused it... but you would never know it. Melissa & Doug products really hold up and stand the test of toddlers. Yes they are more expensive than some others, but who cares? THEY LAST. I will be able to keep their products around for my next several children. My daughter has since mastered this puzzle so we are moving up to the 24 and 48 piece Melissa & Doug puzzles, but I know they will hold up as well.
on April 18, 2012
I gave this puzzle to my 2 1/2 year old granddaughter for Easter. She had been doing 12 piece puzzles which "slide" together. This was a little more of a challenge since the pieces are "jigsaw", but she was able to do it. The edges are a little "rough", but our older ones may be smoother from many years of use.
on January 4, 2012
This puzzle has lovely graphics and a sturdy construction. As others have mentioned, the pieces are tight and difficult to maneuver right out of the box, because they are all wood and cut from one piece. After about three uses, however, they are now smooth and fit together well. I have not had a problem with splinters, but if you are too rough when you first break apart the pieces, I could see how splinters might develop.

My 21-month old daughter loves this puzzle, and had no trouble putting it together without a visual "guide." The colors of each area are very distinguishable, so it's pretty easy to determine where each piece connects. We are happy customers!
on March 17, 2008
After reading the other review I baught this puzzle for my son. I have had this puzzle for about a week now, and prob. going to have to toss it. As if with the tightness mentioned in the other review isnt already frustrationg enough, The puzzle pieces are made with layerd wood and taking the puzzle apart made the peices crack&chip and now have little wood peices all over the floor, and some pictures started to peel off. With all this going on I dont think it is save now with the sharp corners and most likely splinters coming soon and if your child is still randomly putting stuff in his mouth still, then he might choke or cut himself. Short to say dont buy, waste of money and time.
on October 14, 2015
I generally LOVE Melissa and Doug items, but I feel the quality has become substandard. The princess puzzle is a favorite of my daughter. After putting this puzzle together about six times the paper glued to the wood began to lift. Since that day the glue stick and I have developed a bit of a relationship working tirelessly while making repairs to this puzzle. It is pretty much a weekly event, I pull out my daughters Melissa and Doug wood puzzles (yes she has several and yes they all have this issue) and re glue the paper that has lifted. It is very annoying and if my daughter didn't ABSOLUTELY LOVE these puzzles I would have gotten rid of them by now. The color is beautiful, the pieces fit together tightly without being too tight. It really is a beautiful made puzzle I would fix two things if I could:

1. Ask the company to use a stronger glue (hey I just thought maybe I could use liquid glue over all the puzzle pieces? It might keep it from lifting as bad, then I won't have to keep re gluing....I Guess I will find out this weekend!) Sorry my mind wondered....

2. I would like to have a picture of what the puzzle looks like on the back of the puzzle. Probably not a big deal if you only have ONE puzzle but like I said I have quite a few of them.