5.0 out of 5 stars Simply perfect
Published on January 12, 2005 by Nikol Le Vine

3.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy puzzle, great graphics
The puzzle is sturdy as described and has beautiful, vibrant colors. The pieces are big enough for my 5-yr old to manipulate and assemble. The only downside is that the image is not clearly in order. The puzzle is from the earth's view. So I had to explain the order to my son. With its design, he assumed the sun was "first." Still a good buy.
Published on January 18, 2007 by L. Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply perfect, January 12, 2005
Nikol Le Vine "poet17" (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Solar System 48 pcs Floor Puzzle (Toy)
I bought this puzzle for my 3 year old son who was fascinated with planets and space stuff. I have never been so impressed with a toy purchase. You really can't find a better puzzle for kids. The pieces are quite large, and they're very durable. They also are "wipeable" in case sticky fingers get a hold of them. The picture itself is very colorful and pleasing to the eye. It shows all the planets, and includes the moon and sun. Even the asteroid belt. It's a great puzzle, and a great educational toy. I intend to get more puzzles from this company. Simply outstanding. If I could give it more than 5 stars, I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun! An educational toy your child will love!, June 18, 2004
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Solar System 48 pcs Floor Puzzle (Toy)
This puzzle is very sturdy; not as bendy as most puzzles. My daughter loves putting this puzzle together. She is five and we are learning about the Solar System. I like this toy because after you put it together you can quiz your child on Solar system facts. Ask your child to point out which planet is the largest (Jupiter...although in this puzzle they make earth look larger because of the perspective)Ask him/her which planet is the smallest, which planet is closest to the sun...etc...etc...the learning never ends! There are always new solar system facts you can add into your fun! I strongly recommend this toy as a fun learning tool for you and your child. I really love all the Melissa and Doug products.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic quality, February 23, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Solar System 48 pcs Floor Puzzle (Toy)
My boys, 7 1/2 and 5, both enjoy this puzzle immensely. It is very well made and the sturdy pieces are easily put together....no bent edges here. When completed this high quality puzzle depicts a beautiful illustration of the solar system which has sparked their interest in learning about planets, stars, comets, etc....highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars great quality, August 2, 2005
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Solar System 48 pcs Floor Puzzle (Toy)
My 6 year old loves this puzzle. The only slight issue we have is if you don't layer the puzzle pieces in the box just so it is hard to close the box. This happens because the peices are so nice and thick....which is great. I only had to show my son once to slow down and put the pieces away slowly for him to get it. Other than that tiny hiccup it has been an everyday toy for my son for the past 2 months. I also found the puzzle at a discount chain (rhymes with floss) for half off so be on the look out.

5.0 out of 5 stars OUT OF THIS WORLD, November 11, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Solar System 48 pcs Floor Puzzle (Toy)
My 2 1/2 year old son received this puzzle as a gift. It's been a year now and he still loves it. It's a great family puzzle - and its large pieces are quite durable. Highly recommendable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for rainy days, September 3, 2007
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Solar System 48 pcs Floor Puzzle (Toy)
My two sons (6 and 7 when this was purchased) loved doing this puzzle. They would clear a space on the floor and work together to get the project done. It stayed in the closet for awhile and then when they both started a planets study in school, they went straight to the closet and pulled it out again. They then used it to tell me everything they'd been learning.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy puzzle, great graphics, January 18, 2007
L. Thomas (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Floor Puzzle, August 20, 2007
Micole Roy (Sugar Land, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Solar System 48 pcs Floor Puzzle (Toy)
This puzzle, like other (e.g., Farm Friends, Tyrannosaurus Rex, etc.) Melissa & Doug floor puzzles that I have purchased for my son, is colorful, large, and well-made. I originally purchased many of the puzzles for my first-born son when he was four, and now four years later, its wonderful to see my now eight year old son help his four year old brother assemble the puzzles. I recommend them because they have stood the test of time, provide entertainment for my sons, and are educational. My four year old knows many of the planets thanks to this puzzle (and to the planets hanging from the ceiling in his brother's room).

3.0 out of 5 stars Great puzzle but pieces come apart, August 28, 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Solar System 48 pcs Floor Puzzle (Toy)
I got this puzzle for my twin three-year-olds, who are fascinated with outer space and planets. They loved the puzzle, which is brightly-colored, shiny, and manageable for 3-4 year olds to do mostly on their own. As with so many of the puzzles I've bought in the past year made by Melissa & Doug, however, the pieces started coming apart after just a few uses. My kids are not hard on their puzzle pieces at all, we generally do them together, but the shiny top-surface of the pieces of this puzzle start separating on their own ("Mommy, what's wrong with this piece?"). I glue them back together, let them dry, and then we can use the puzzle again, but it's really annoying.

The same thing has happened with the frames of many of the Melissa & Doug wooden puzzles we have--the plywood border of the frame starts to separate from the base, and I have to glue them back together. Overall, these are decent, ultimately disposable puzzles--the floor puzzles are cheaply constructed, the cardboard pieces soon separate and curl. The wooden ones feel like balsa wood, and the frames soon warp and separate. These puzzles don't have that great feel of real wood puzzles, and though I am one of the most sentimental parents in the world, I have no desire to put one of them aside into the kids' nostalgia childhood boxes; I don't even make the effort to hold onto them for my sister's kids or a friend's kids--the puzzles are out the door to the thrift shop the moment my kids outgrow them.

The problem is, I don't see many options. I'd pay more for puzzles that really held together, but I can't find any great-quality puzzles on Amazon and haven't looked in the really upscale toy/gift shops (regular neighborhood gift stores mainly carry Melissa & Doug). Cheap puzzles are great, but when you want to give a special gift, or your kid really, really loves puzzles, or it's the activity you do together, hoping you're creating pleasant, life-long memories, or you just have younger kids and want the puzzles to last for them, you may want something nicer, even if it costs more. Since Melissa & Doug seem to have cornered the jigsaw puzzle market, I hope they will create another sub-brand to advertise clearly, e.g., "part of our most-durable Heirloom line".

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good!, December 6, 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Solar System 48 pcs Floor Puzzle (Toy)
I brought this puzzle for my 4 yr old son who showed lot of interest in the solar system when I showed it in a book. He had memorized the order of the planets away from the Sun. All that understanding is gone with this model which shows the solar system as a picture from behind the moon. It is tough to make a 4 yr old understand that the moon is smaller than the earth when the moon occupies the entire model. Also, the order is not based on distance of planets from the Sun, and the asteroids are not helping.

I did not like it at all.

Melissa & Doug Solar System 48 pcs Floor Puzzle