Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Melissa & Doug Stacking Construction Vehicles
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Toy|Change

on February 18, 2009
My 2 year old received these for his birthday and he just loves putting them together. At first he just enjoyed driving the trucks around, then he liked the challenge putting the pieces together properly. Now he's really into mixing and matching the various pieces from all three trucks to build his own super-creation. These trucks are great for developing fine motor skills, building cognitive memory, and inspiring creative and imaginative play. Fun times to be had by all! Highly recommended along with most other Melissa and Doug toys.
on March 6, 2010
I got these for my son's 3rd birthday.

While he had fun for a few minutes mixing and matching the pieces, they didn't hold his attention long. This was surprising to me because he loves cars, trucks and trains and can sit an play with them for close to an hour normally.

They are very well made, sturdy and really cute. The pieces are interchangeable to spark a child's imagination.

I think they may be better suited for 3 yrs and under, but my son may be unique in his lack of enthusiasm for them.
on January 5, 2013
My 2-year old received these as a gift, and I am actually kind of surprised at all the positive reviews. I think they are more like a puzzle than actual trucks that can be played with, so how much you are going to like them depends on what you are looking for. My son likes putting them together, but the problem is they are almost impossible to play with, unless you just roll them very carefully and slowly. If he tries to pick them up at all or really "play trucks" with them the pieces just come apart and he gets frustrated. I wish there were some way to keep them together. I am considering some stick-on velcro to see if that would help. The quality is fine, but the functionality leaves something to be desired.
on August 21, 2011
Nice materials, nice quality, and fun but whenever our child picks up the trucks just to play with them, not take them apart, they fall apart. Yes, they are supposed to come apart but it would be very nice to be able to lock all of the pieces that are on one vehicle in so they can also just play with it as a truck, not have it fall apart while playing.
on June 10, 2015
This is my first experience with Melissa & Doug toys and I'm not impressed. I bought this set and the emergency vehicles set for my toddlers (2 yo boy and 3 yo girl), thinking they would be a fun activity to keep little hands busy. They were thrilled right up until they tried to pick them up like they would other toys cars and the pieces came apart. Daddy Man and I showed them how to take the vehicles apart and put them back together, explaining that they're like the puzzles they've been learning to do. My kids understood, but weren't really into it. They wanted to be able to drive the cars around and do regular play with them. This isn't possible unless they're very careful with them because the pieces fit loosely on the posts.

We kept encouraging them to play with these, including trying some of the suggestions printed on the bottom of the package. They weren't interested. I have to note that this level of disinterest is not normal for my kids. They LOVE building, stacking, playing with puzzles, and putting things together. That is WHY I bought these things.

Their play consisted of mostly taking the vehicles apart and leaving the pieces scattered around, but I kept encouraging, showing them how to mix and match, making vehicle noises, counting wheels, showing the pictures on the bottom of the chassis of how they go together, and just busting my butt to make these things interesting. With just even this minimal amount of "play" going on, the paint started to wear on the edges of the pieces and the soft wood is denting.

After about 2 months, my kids are finally playing with these vehicles, mixing and matching the pieces between the 2 sets to make all kinds of combos - although it's not easy to do with this set because of the specialty pieces.

After maybe 3 days of active play, my husband found our daughter with a sharp shard of wood (see photo). Somehow, a piece of the wood from the firetruck chipped off from around the post hole while she was playing with it. She was NOT being rough. The scariest part is that we only found HALF of the shard. I was regret buying these toys and am seriously considering gluing the stupid things together so my kids could at least use them for regular car play.
review image
on January 16, 2014
These were a bit of a challenge at first for our two-year old, they were a birthday present on his second birthday. But he's been playing with them a lot, taking them apart, mixing them up into different configurations, using them as truck toys as well as puzzles. The color matching parts are a big clue to what really goes together, but there are a lot of options for mix and match. The pegs and holes are just the right size, durable and challenging, but he caught on within a few days and it's really helped with his eye-hand coordination and fine motor skills.
on December 9, 2015
My 2.5 yr old son is very into trucks right now. He knows the names of all of them (specifically construction trucks). I had no idea what many of them were named before he told me about them. These toys are great quality wooden building blocks. The ability to disassemble and reassemble them adds tons of replay value for him. He is constantly changing them up and making new trucks out of them. I'd highly recommend this toy for any toddler with an interest in trucks.
on April 24, 2016
I gave these to my nephew as a gift and he was SO excited to open them. I cannot tell you the amount of times he has taken them apart and put them back together. There are small parts so adhere to the age limit on this product but my 4 year old nephew is truly loving them. I love Melissa & Doug toys and know that I'll be grabbing a few more for gifts!
on January 24, 2016
Fantastic, especially for our toddler who loves to build things/take things apart. Each truck comes with pieces that are the same color as the truck, so it's easier for toddlers to find the proper pieces to put the trucks together. Made of sturdy wood, and colors are bright. The pieces do come off easily, but they should since these trucks are meant to be taken apart/put together by young toddlers.
on March 2, 2016
Bought this for my son for Christmas. I love the durability of Melissa and Doug toys. They are heavy and you don't have to worry about them breaking. I love the stacking feature which is fun for my 2 year old. The only concern that I have is that the pieces are easily misplaced by a two year so I would go with the recommended age of 3 year :)