Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 17, 2011
This is a well made puzzle, with small knobs on each piece. I bought it for my almost three year old son. The puzzles where you insert each piece into it's own individual hole had become way to easy for him. I like that this puzzle's pieces create one picture when completed. What I wasn't expecting was that the picture is printed underneath the pieces. It makes the puzzle a little too easy, and at the same time can be frustrating. At first glance, it is difficult to see which pieces are in and which aren't. The train sounds it makes when the puzzle is completed are fun. All in all, good puzzle, but I may have shopped around for a puzzle with no picture underneath if I had known.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon February 20, 2012
My 2 year old granddaughter loves this puzzle. Once the tight plastic wrap was taken off the puzzle, and the two AAA batteries placed in the back, she was at it. BTW, the batteries do not come with the puzzle.

She dumped all the pieces on the coffee table, and then proceeded to figure out by herself where all the pieces fit. She needed assistance with one of the cloud pieces, she had inserted it upside down. And, then when the last piece was inserted correctly, the sound of the train emanated from the puzzle. She was so pleased! A big smile came to her face. Very quickly she found that one particular piece when lifted up and placed down would elicit that train sound.

I thought that after she conquered the puzzle, that would be all. But, she continued to play with the puzzle. There are small red knobs placed on each piece of the puzzle. This makes it easy for small hands to pick up and place the puzzle in place. The picture of the train is bright and accurate and believable for young children. The puzzle is made of sturdy wooden construction, but it is light enough for children to handle. The choo choo sound is realistic and makes for a very fun puzzle.
This is a good puzzle for motor skills and for observation. I don't think my granddaughter found the underneath picture to be a distraction, nor did she understand that was the same picture as the puzzle pieces.

I am usually very pleased with Melissa and Doug's toys and this was no exception. My granddaughter enjoys this puzzle and other children who come to play with her will find it as pleasurable.

Highly Recommended. prisrob 02-20-12

Melissa & Doug Sticker Collection - Pink

Melissa & Doug Slice and Bake Cookie Set
on June 16, 2014
The puzzle is cute and the right skill level for my grandson who just turned three --- still challenging but not so much that he can't do it. However, the train noise part is very disappointing. It only makes a little sound once the puzzle is fully complete. Also, it is fussy. We wanted to test the sound, so took out just a few pieces and put them back in, but no sound was made. All the pieces had to come out, and then fully redone until the train sounded again. It's okay.
on April 26, 2012
I ordered this puzzle for my 18 month old son, a recent and passionate train enthusiast. He really likes the sound it makes, and that extra level of engagement keeps his interest. However, the sound doesn't work with every piece, every time. Meaning, I (he) never knows if completion or lifting a puzzle piece will blow the train whistle. Perhaps this is intentional? It's actually nice, a bit of a surprise for him when it works, but I doubt that was the intention of the maker.
on January 2, 2011
I bought this puzzle for my three year old son for Christmas. He loves trains and gets really happy when the puzzle makes noises when he puts it all together. It feels rewarding to him and make puzzles fun.
on May 11, 2013
Of the Melissa/Doug sound puzzles this one is the BEST one yet. My 2 yr old (25 month)son LOVES trains, trollies, planes & got the rescue vehicle sound puzzle (fire truck, ambulance, police car, etc) from his grandma and loved it (even though it didn't have batteries in it) so when we saw more of these at babies r us we got them. The next day when we put batteries in them we noticed that not all of the animals make sounds on the different puzzles but this one works. My husband thought it didn't work but it only sounds when you complete the puzzle which only makes sense. As far as malfunctions go, if my son hits it it'll go off sometimes. I've also heard this puzzle choo chooing when I turn the lights out at night or when there is low light in the living room! Talk about scaring the crap out of me!! And last week after I put my sons down for an afternoon nap, I'm in my room with the door shut (no one else in the apartment and toddler asleep in his bed) I hear random puzzle noises coming from the living room!!! Also creepy!!
on May 18, 2014
I like this peg puzzle and so does my son. When the child is finished, they get to hear the sound of the train. It's not too loud, which is nice. It knows to play the sound by using light sensitive sensors. In some cases the room is too dark for the sensors to notice the light change and the sound doesn't play. This can be frustrating to a toddler because then they think it's broken. That's the only reason I gave it 4 stars. If you play in a brightly lit room or somewhere near sunlight, it shouldn't be a problem though.
on January 21, 2015
I purchased this for my 17 month old grandson, who was just delighted with the sounds. His 2 year old brother loved putting the pieces together to build the train. As usual, Melissa and Doug products are superior and never disappoint me. This has my highest stamp of approval!
on June 4, 2013
My 3 year-old loves trains and puzzles, so I thought this would be a win-win. He lost interest in it FAST, and I was convinced it was possessed for a week or two. It would make noise every time I turned off the kitchen light to go bed, even if some of the pieces were missing. I finally realized that the puzzle board is light-activated, as in the train sounds when all the sensors are covered up (which is why the backs of the pieces are all painted black). Mystery solved, but my kids are still bored. Glad I bought it used and only paid half price.
on July 14, 2014
My son loves trains and puzzles. This one is one of his favorites. The sound of a steam train goes off when the last piece is in place.

I haven't had the problem of the sound going off at random times like I have with other sound puzzles.