5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!
Published on January 11, 2011 by KittandKim

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs improving
Published on December 3, 2010 by traveling with 3 kids

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It!, January 11, 2011
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Trunki - Ruby (Red) (Toy)
Bought this for my 3 1/2 year old daughter for our roundtrip to California from Illinois with layovers. She loved it! I gave it to her right before the trip and gave her the stickers to go with it, which let her personlize it even more. We put her clothes on the side with the elastic straps (enough for 5 days) and her toys on the other side. It fit perfectly under the plane seat. She was proud of her trunki and wanted to pull it herself. When she was tired she loved riding on it. It was smooth riding and went over small bumps easily. It sure saved a lot of struggles. We did have one issue with the plastic clasp sticking but we were able to easily fix it. Many people got a kick out of it and recognized it is a good idea - they wanted one in an adult size! I travel a greal deal and I have witnessed parents struggles with their small kids. For $30 it was well worth the money and the peace of mind - it puts the fun back into travel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs improving, December 3, 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Trunki - Ruby (Red) (Toy)
Bought two of these. Totally awesome idea. My sons hate carrying their backpacks with blankets, toys and snacks because they say they're too heavy, and I end up carrying them. This was the perfect solution, when I have to travel with three kids without my husband. But, their clasps are extremely flawed- they are difficult to move frequently and prone to pop off. Also, I had one pop off a wheel within the first 15 minutes home. The wheels are only secured by a plastic piece with spring pressure inside the hollow axle- no bolts etc and and can be pulled (or if it for some reason doesn't fit tightly), fall off. They are more like a toy than a suitcase. I would pay even more for them if they were as durable as an adults item.

1.0 out of 5 stars I would give it no stars if I could, July 27, 2011
Lucky Mommy (Fort Collins, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Trunki - Ruby (Red) (Toy)
I had high hopes for this because it's a great idea. I overlooked the bad reviews because I wanted to believe that Melissa & Doug couldn't make such a horrible product. When it came, the latch was off, and I followed the instructions to reattach it. It never stayed. I travelled with it once, and it kept coming open. It wouldn't roll correctly when my son or daughter sat on it, so I had to carry it myself. Awkward to carry down the plane aisle. What a hunk of manure!

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 9:20:22 AM PDT
Lucky Mommy,

I want to assist you with your Trunki. Can you send me an email to drew@MelissaAndDoug.com so I can get some more details and ensure that you have a Great experience with us.

Drew

1.0 out of 5 stars A far cry from the original, March 31, 2013
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Trunki - Ruby (Red) (Toy)
We bought our first Trunki six or seven years ago from the original designers, before manufacturing of the American version was taken over by Melissa & Doug, and absolutely loved it. Last year, we decided to buy a second one for our younger daughter and purchased this ladybug-design version. We have been nothing but disappointed with it almost from the time we removed the tags and packaging. The plastic that comprises the body is so flexible that it gaps open at the top and pinches her when she sits on it (she weighs 45 lbs. - the supposed weight limit is 75 lbs.). In contrast, my older daughter happily rolled through the airport yesterday on the one that we bought years ago with absolutely no deformation of the body (she weighs 65 lbs and is far too big for it, but isn't quite ready to give it up yet). The closures on the ladybug version are cheap, ineffective, and poorly designed. The clasps on the original version are sturdy, heavy plastic connected to the body with metal and close securely; those on the ladybug version slide up and down, are very difficult to secure, and pop off completely at random moments. For example, yesterday it happened when I was removing it from the scanner at security, spilling its entire contents over the floor of a busy airport checkpoint.

Superficially, the two items look almost identical, but every part that was made of metal in the older one is made of plastic in the newer one. In comparing the two, my older daughter says there is no question that hers is sturdier and rides much more smoothly. As far as I can tell, the only design aspect that is an improvement is the addition of the carrying handles on the top.

As much as I would like to, I can't recommend this item. We paid approximately the same amount for both, but this newer one is simply an inferior product. Those who don't have the original to which to compare have no way of knowing how poorly manufactured it is.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great product but the locks let it down, January 15, 2012
Robin Leigh (New Milford, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Trunki - Ruby (Red) (Toy)
This is a great concept. Our 4 year old loves it. He can pull it, ride on it or be pulled along by us. It is well built and of good quality. The only thing that lets it down is the lock mechanism. It is hard to open and close and the locks just pop off. Very disappointing!

2.0 out of 5 stars Changed Design = Disappointed, November 2, 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Trunki - Ruby (Red) (Toy)
We bought a Trunki a while ago, before they were easy to get a hold of in the US. We were very excited when Melissa and Doug teamed up with them and now we can get them more easily! Bought one for my younger daughter and am very disappointed in the change in quality from what we bought just over a year ago. There is no longer a metal rod through the hinge, it is all plastic. The wheels seem cheaper and less sturdy. The locking mechanism seems unreliable and is very difficult for my daughter to use. I'm not convinced this one will hold up. The inside elastic divider is secured with screws on my older model; this one is a cheap plastic clip. Ours also came missing the carry strap and bits pouch. Amazon is shipping us a new one, but what a hassle to have to deal with returning the entire other defective one just for those little parts. VERY DISAPPOINTED in the loss of quality. Sad that Melissa and Doug disappointed us. We used to trust their products. No longer feel I can order their toys/products sight unseen. Poor quality control, poor design, disappointed momma.

Posted on Nov 22, 2011 11:47:00 AM PST
Megan,

Thanks for your post. I'm here to help.
Please email me at drew@MelissaAndDoug.com and I will assist you with this right away.

Thanks,
Drew

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT, May 22, 2011
MKS (Oakville, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Trunki - Ruby (Red) (Toy)
Not only are these things cute, but they are functional. As soon as I bought these both my kids got on them to ride on. They love this thing.

We use it for a suitcase for the kids for light travel, mostly to the cottage, for the kids to pack their things. But was used for a trip (in the airport) and was worth every cent!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for serious travelers!, November 28, 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Trunki - Ruby (Red) (Toy)
Got lots of comments from fellow travelers about how cute it was. Nice idea, but it's not for real travel. First it is a pain to open at security checks especially if you have the saddle on. And them put it back again at the other end. The closing claps never worked like they were supposed to and I just had to yank them off and slam back on especially if in a hurry.
I was glad to have bought the additional saddle bag only because I never knew if the case would open unexpectedly. At least it held it shut for sure.
Pulling the Trunki at the airport was a problem because it has four wheels and they all only go straight. So I followed my kid and kicked the case every time we had to change direction. Usually we ended up doing wild zigzag down the halls and hoping nobody would trip on the thing.
Once in the plane, since it is a carry on, you have to open the whole case in order to get anything out and most of the time other stuff falls out too so you end up repacking the case before putting it back for the rest of the trip since you REALLY don't want to open it in the small space of the airplane again.
I had to run from one terminal to another in Paris once with the kids to make the connecting flight and I would have never made it if I had had this piece of luggage trailing behind! Simple back pack with wheels worked great that time and will from now on too.
Melissa and Doug makes so many great toys, but this Tunki I will not recommend for serious travel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the most functional, but so so cute!, February 18, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Trunki - Ruby (Red) (Toy)
This trunk is super cute, only issue is that it comes together and buckles in the middle instead of along an edge or seam at the top like a normal suitcase so when it's completely full of clothing and you open it, half of the stuff falls out. I don't know why I didn't notice that before I purchased it. But it really is cute and it's been fine despite what I consider to be that little design flaw so we will be keeping it. My daughter isn't old enough to ride it yet but my very rambunctious and heavy 3 1/2 year old has been enjoying it with no problems!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful product, some quality issues, February 17, 2014
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Trunki - Ruby (Red) (Toy)
We bought this for my daughter a couple years ago and it has literally traveled the world (I'm not the most timely Amazon reviewer). She loves having her own suitcase for her nighttime books and toys, and packing it is now just part of our pre-travel routine. It fits easily in the cabin, so its a great place to tuck her coloring books and toys for the flight. I can't imagine flying without it.

The only issue, as stated on several other posts, is with some of the construction. Sometimes the pieces flex apart causing the strap piece to come off in the middle of use. There haven't been any safety issues (otherwise it would be in the trash) but it has caused several "emotional events" during a rushed airport trip as we try to cram books and toys back into a case. The piece always slides back in, but it always seems to happen at the worst possible time. The locks don't work very well (also as mentioned), but I'm not exactly keeping the crown jewels in this thing. The faulty locks could cause the issue with the strap piece.

Despite the issues I would continue to recommend this product.

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 1:13:22 PM PDT
Dear Amazon Customer,
Thank you for your comments on the Trunki. I would love to speak with you to get some additional information and to help you with this. Please call me at #800-284-3948.
Thanks!
Beth Miller

Melissa & Doug Trunki - Ruby (Red)
$39.99 $31.61