5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Melissa and Doug toy!
Published on March 26, 2012 by Sarah

2.0 out of 5 stars The quality is not good.
My nephew likes this, but the quality is not good. One component was broken apart on day one. I will not buy toys of Melissa & Doug.
Published 10 months ago by h.gon

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Melissa and Doug toy!, March 26, 2012
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Whittle World Plane and Luggage Carrier Set (Toy)
My children (2 and 4 year old boys) really like this toy. The construction seems durable and the design is relatively detailed. The pieces hook together or you can take them apart and play with them seperately. The figures included with the set are diverse. One thing that I think could improve the toy is making a sliding door on the luggage carrier so the luggage doesn't fall if it tips a bit during play. Two concerns about durabilty: the paint on the toy seems be a bit prone to scratching. It has been gently played with since getting it a few days ago and there appears to be a scratch across the paint on one of the figures. Granted, I noticed this, not my children. Also, the wings of the plane are attached by a thick elastic band (allowing the wings to flap up and down). Perhaps it won't ever be an issue, but it would be unfortunate if the band broke and the wing fell off. I guess that is where a hot glue gun could come in handy. Overall, cool toy for pretend play! I also apprecaite the airplane is an airplane. It doesn't have eyes and a smile like many of its plastic companions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Multi-faceted and durable toys!, July 24, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have become a big fan of Melissa and Doug toys in my 9 years of being a parent. I appreciate the face that they are all so simple in their design, while being durable and lacking in the (literal) bells and whistles that their plastic counterparts possess.

My 5 year old son already owns the Car Carrier, which is the truck that carriers 4 small wooden cars on the back. He has enjoyed that at various times in the past year or so. It is a toy that he consistently comes back to. So when looking at other Melissa and Doug options, this one certainly stood out. After seeing the photo, he had 5 days to wait for the delivery and let me tell you, it wasn't easy on him.

First off, I love the packaging. Its a cardboard tray, wrapped with the toy sitting on it in a thin plastic. No ties, no scissors needed, no cussing and slicing open your hand. The toy lifted right out and he immediately began playing.

The front is a toy truck with a driver that slips right in. Behind that is a luggage holder with 4 suitcases. We only saw 2 in the photo so I was very pleased when we got 4! Lastly, is the plane being towed behind. There is one pilot and 3 passengers on the plane. Each piece slips into place in order to be towed. The luggage is the perfect fit into the holder and into the belly of the plane.

The plane wings are folded when it arrives and it took a couple loud claps made by my son for me to take a closer look and find 2 elastic bands that allow the wings to be folded up or remain down. The claps were them being folded back up. He loved it so much, he brought the plane with him to dinner that night.

As I type, all 5 of the people are tucked into the pages of a book next to his bed (in their 'bed' of course). The plane and truck are parked next to the sleeping people and the luggage is safely stored in the compartment of the holder. I'd say that's a pretty good review in itself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality wooden toy for imaginative play, September 16, 2012
Ed (San Francisco Bay Area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The World Plane and Luggage Carrier Set by Melissa & Doug is typical M&D quality, which is to say, pretty solid. The wheels on the vehicles roll well and seem durable. The plane's wings fold up and are attached via a thin, yet strong bungee cord. The finish on all vehicles, luggage, and people are nice and smooth. However, I did notice a small area underneath the rear wings that was chipped and reveled some splinters. I'm not sure if it came this way or if my kids did it because I didn't inspect it that closely when it first arrived. I let my kids play with it first before reviewing it. That said, I smoothed it out with some sandpaper and it's all good.

If your 3-6 year old kids like planes, this is a durable and safe toy for imaginative play. The price seems reasonable as well, given that all the pieces are made of wood, rather than cheap plastic and cheap stickers. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars No batteries required...., August 9, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Melissa & Doug have established a solid reputation as a source for long-lasting high quality children's toys. And the World Plane and Luggage Carrier Set is no exception.

The Whittle World (sorry, I still loathe that name) playset pieces are interchangeable. This set contains twelve pieces: a plane with moveable wings, a two-piece luggage carrier that can also tow the plane, five passengers/drivers, and assorted items of luggage.

Any clever child will know exactly what to do with the toys.

One of the biggest issues in buying a toy set like this - how durable is it? - can't be answered yet. But I do know that it has child appeal, and it is that most blessed toy - one that encourages imaginative play.

All sound effects are provided by the users.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good toy, March 19, 2014
The only reason I gave a 4 vs 5 is because the toy doesn't hook onto other sets, like the train. The people interchange which is great. Takes slot if abuse from a 2 year old, we had it several months before he or I noticed the wings move.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids who love transportation, April 25, 2013
This is a great toy for kids who love transportation. It has enough movable parts to keep a kids imagination engaged, light enough to have it "fly" in a kids hand, and realistic enough that kids will know what they are playing with.

5.0 out of 5 stars After 10 months of playing with it my 19 month ..., October 31, 2014
After 10 months of playing with it my 19 month old asks for it nearly every day. "Plane! Plane!" The 3˝ year old plays with it, too ( the people wind up in the doll house - somehow).

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Versatile, June 4, 2014
My daughter received this as a Christmas present.

When her friends come over to play, this is what they all went for. Those friends received this as a gift from us!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Birthday Present, April 11, 2014
Bought in conjunction with World Fire Rescue Play Set. Sent to my grandson in Boston MA. Evidently 'went down a storm'. He absolutely loved it. Great piece of craftsmanship.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic gift for young kids who love transportation!, March 12, 2014
We purchased this as a gift for our 3 year old son for Christmas and it was a hit! He's mildly obsessed with all things transportation, including all of the cool trucks and carts we see at the airport when we fly. He loves to pretend-play with this set: the luggage cart, pilot and passengers. His parents love that the toy is made of wood (as opposed to plastic) and a small footprint. It's an adorable set and I plan on gifting it to others.