Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

Color: Plane and Luggage CarrierChange

on March 26, 2012
My children (2 and 4 year old boys) really like this toy. The construction seems durable and the design is relatively detailed. The pieces hook together or you can take them apart and play with them seperately. The figures included with the set are diverse. One thing that I think could improve the toy is making a sliding door on the luggage carrier so the luggage doesn't fall if it tips a bit during play. Two concerns about durabilty: the paint on the toy seems be a bit prone to scratching. It has been gently played with since getting it a few days ago and there appears to be a scratch across the paint on one of the figures. Granted, I noticed this, not my children. Also, the wings of the plane are attached by a thick elastic band (allowing the wings to flap up and down). Perhaps it won't ever be an issue, but it would be unfortunate if the band broke and the wing fell off. I guess that is where a hot glue gun could come in handy. Overall, cool toy for pretend play! I also apprecaite the airplane is an airplane. It doesn't have eyes and a smile like many of its plastic companions.
VINE VOICEon July 24, 2012
Color: Plane and Luggage CarrierVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have become a big fan of Melissa and Doug toys in my 9 years of being a parent. I appreciate the face that they are all so simple in their design, while being durable and lacking in the (literal) bells and whistles that their plastic counterparts possess.

My 5 year old son already owns the Car Carrier, which is the truck that carriers 4 small wooden cars on the back. He has enjoyed that at various times in the past year or so. It is a toy that he consistently comes back to. So when looking at other Melissa and Doug options, this one certainly stood out. After seeing the photo, he had 5 days to wait for the delivery and let me tell you, it wasn't easy on him.

First off, I love the packaging. Its a cardboard tray, wrapped with the toy sitting on it in a thin plastic. No ties, no scissors needed, no cussing and slicing open your hand. The toy lifted right out and he immediately began playing.

The front is a toy truck with a driver that slips right in. Behind that is a luggage holder with 4 suitcases. We only saw 2 in the photo so I was very pleased when we got 4! Lastly, is the plane being towed behind. There is one pilot and 3 passengers on the plane. Each piece slips into place in order to be towed. The luggage is the perfect fit into the holder and into the belly of the plane.

The plane wings are folded when it arrives and it took a couple loud claps made by my son for me to take a closer look and find 2 elastic bands that allow the wings to be folded up or remain down. The claps were them being folded back up. He loved it so much, he brought the plane with him to dinner that night.

As I type, all 5 of the people are tucked into the pages of a book next to his bed (in their 'bed' of course). The plane and truck are parked next to the sleeping people and the luggage is safely stored in the compartment of the holder. I'd say that's a pretty good review in itself.
on August 9, 2012
Melissa & Doug have established a solid reputation as a source for long-lasting high quality children's toys. And the World Plane and Luggage Carrier Set is no exception.

The Whittle World (sorry, I still loathe that name) playset pieces are interchangeable. This set contains twelve pieces: a plane with moveable wings, a two-piece luggage carrier that can also tow the plane, five passengers/drivers, and assorted items of luggage.

Any clever child will know exactly what to do with the toys.

One of the biggest issues in buying a toy set like this - how durable is it? - can't be answered yet. But I do know that it has child appeal, and it is that most blessed toy - one that encourages imaginative play.

All sound effects are provided by the users.
on March 19, 2014
The only reason I gave a 4 vs 5 is because the toy doesn't hook onto other sets, like the train. The people interchange which is great. Takes slot if abuse from a 2 year old, we had it several months before he or I noticed the wings move.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 16, 2012
The World Plane and Luggage Carrier Set by Melissa & Doug is typical M&D quality, which is to say, pretty solid. The wheels on the vehicles roll well and seem durable. The plane's wings fold up and are attached via a thin, yet strong bungee cord. The finish on all vehicles, luggage, and people are nice and smooth. However, I did notice a small area underneath the rear wings that was chipped and reveled some splinters. I'm not sure if it came this way or if my kids did it because I didn't inspect it that closely when it first arrived. I let my kids play with it first before reviewing it. That said, I smoothed it out with some sandpaper and it's all good.

If your 3-6 year old kids like planes, this is a durable and safe toy for imaginative play. The price seems reasonable as well, given that all the pieces are made of wood, rather than cheap plastic and cheap stickers. I recommend it.
VINE VOICEon August 15, 2012
We adore great, quality wooden toys around here! They seem to last longer, and get more playtime. This one is no exception. My boys have both had a great time playing with them. The best part to me is that it requires imagination! I LOVE seeing my boys use their imagination. :)

There's a plane that has movable wings, which I think is pretty cool myself. There's also a 2 piece luggage carrier with 4 wooden suitcases, and 5 passengers/driver. All the luggage and passenger/driver pieces can be moved around. There's little slots in the plane where people can "sit". There's also a slot in the luggage carrier for the driver to sit.

I've saw a great deal of reviews from other Melissa and Doug wooden toys in the past that say the smell is VERY strong. I've actually skipped buying toys because of those reviews. When I first pulled this toy out of the package, the smell was pretty overpowering! After the initial shock of it, though, I never smelled it again. It's definitely not something that has bothered us.

Also, with wooden toys, little dents are going to happen. This one is no exception in that area, either. We already noticed little dents, but nothing major!

Even though I received this item through the Amazon Vine program, I've been shopping for other items in this line for Christmas presents. We really like it! I can't think of a reason I wouldn't recommend it.
on August 8, 2015
While I like this toy, which my daughter has played with at the local book store, I hesitate to buy her her own as the pilot is a white man. I wis they'd made two figures pilots and at least one of them female and/or a person of color. Sure, that may sound overly PC, but this seems to be an issue with other M&D toys. Great toy otherwise.
on March 2, 2015
Great toy for our 1.5 year old. Simple wood & fun to drive around & put people & luggage in and out. But, there is dried up yellow glue in several spots. Not just where prices were glued together, but dribbles & excess in other places too. Didn't return/exchange because it was christmas.
on April 25, 2013
This is a great toy for kids who love transportation. It has enough movable parts to keep a kids imagination engaged, light enough to have it "fly" in a kids hand, and realistic enough that kids will know what they are playing with.
on October 31, 2014
After 10 months of playing with it my 19 month old asks for it nearly every day. "Plane! Plane!" The 3½ year old plays with it, too ( the people wind up in the doll house - somehow).

See 1 answered question