5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
I love their toys. My son loved his toys. They are affordable plus very well built. My son his is two and can be rough with toys but I'm not concerned about him breaking them.
Published 22 months ago by scott struhar

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Designed
Published 10 months ago by thriftymama

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Designed, November 29, 2013
thriftymama (MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Whittle World Cargo Ship and Truck Set (Toy)
Someone already pointed out that the crane and box and truck are designed to work together and with nothing else. A magnet crane would have been a much better idea. But the real problem, and the reason for the 1-star rating, is that the crane doesn't reliably work at all. It's a plastic spring clip (the spring tension is built into the shape of the plastic), but the box falls off of it in normal use. It's very frustrating to watch your child try to play with a new toy that is essentially broken.

A less serious complaint, but illustrative of how Melissa and Doug is overrated:

A boat, made of wood, that doesn't float. Really?

This is the problem with toys that are marketed to parents and not children. "Melissa & Doug" doesn't make you think of the Chinese factory, and the wooden "whittle world" is designed to appeal to nostalgic and environmentally guilty parents. But children just want to play. They want the crane to pick things up and hold them, and they want boats to go in the water.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun idea, could be better!, December 26, 2012
This toy is fine for the price. I wish the "crane" was able to operate independently of only the box so it could pick up different items to put on the ship. Would also be fun if it was a flat bed trailer to offer more versatility. My son plays with it for a limited period of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, January 1, 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Full steam ahead, July 30, 2014
M&D toys are, for the most part, great toys. We love that our kids have wooden toys that will last a long time and are timeless compared to plastic toys. I am a Merchant Marine by profession, so I had to get this for my kids. This is a pretty cool little toy for the simplicity that it is. The crane functions good and can hold the crate in the air without drooping. However, the crane "hook" is just a tensioned piece of plastic (think utensil tongs for salad) that pushes outward in the resting position. The outward force wasn't enough and the crate kept falling, but I made an easy fix and cut small rubber furniture pad, the type you would put on the bottom of a chair to stop sliding on wood floor, and stuck it between the two pieces of plastic. That was about a year or so ago and I haven't had any troubles since.
The truck is simple and I had no issues with that.
All in all, I love their toys and this one is no exception.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Not Melissa & Doug's best effort, August 9, 2014
I really like Melissa & Doug toys and so do my kids. However, I have to say I was a little disappointed with this toy. The 'crane' part of the ship is just a piece of plastic that fits into the top of the 'container box.' (I thought it would use a magnet to maneuver the box around). The 'crane' fits loosely in the container box hole, so inevitably it ends up falling off of the crane before my kids can even play with it.

Super disappointed with this toy, I think Melissa & Doug need to go back to the drawing board.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Sep 3, 2014 11:02:18 AM PDT
Dear Amazon Customer,
Thank you for your comments on the Whittle World Crane & Cargo Ship. I would love to speak with you to get some additional information and help you with this. Please call me at 800-284-3948.
Thanks!
Beth Miller

2.0 out of 5 stars BROKE!, December 4, 2013
The plastic crane arm snapped and pinched my 3 year old's finger within a few days... not the quality I'd expect from Melissa & Doug :(

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids who like transportation, April 25, 2013
My son loves anything transportation related and trying to find a decent boat related toy is hard to come by. This one has enough movement qualities that he can manipulate it, thus encouraging creative play without it getting old quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars cargi ship, March 16, 2013
This was a big hit, the kids love it, it is made well and they play with it all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Sturdy Toy, January 23, 2013
This was a gift for our 2 1/2 year old grandson. It is as described, well made and packaged. He should get a lot of play out of it.

Melissa & Doug Whittle World Cargo Ship and Truck Set