5.0 out of 5 stars Great news for tea drinkers
Published on October 15, 2011 by J. Walsworth

2.0 out of 5 stars Water Temperature Varies greatly
Returned after a few days because there is no discrete setting for water temperature. It had a rheostat but did not show a temperature scale. I tried it a various positions but it could not produce water at the same temperature time after time. I would check the temp with a pro quality digital thermometer and the temp would wander all over.

I paid 46.88 for...
Published on August 27, 2011 by John ChiTown

5.0 out of 5 stars Great news for tea drinkers, October 15, 2011
This review is from: Melitta 1.7-Liter Cordless Kettle (Kitchen)
I have wanted a variable temperature tea kettle for a long time but as I already have a great electric pot, I was hesitant to invest another $100 or so. Leave it to Melita to offer a quality product at a more reasonable price. The kettle heats quickly, the interior is all stainless (no plastic), and feels sturdy. According to my instant read thermometer, it heats it bit high, but the temperature knob is easily adjustable so I just turned it down a bit. In four months, I've had no problems. My oolong tea tastes SO MUCH better when brewed at the right temperature. And green tea is not the least bitter when treated correctly :) If you enjoy tea and all the health benefits, or want to learn to enjoy it, this kettle is a great investment. Melitta 1.7-Liter Cordless Kettle

4.0 out of 5 stars Good option for adjustable temp at reasonable price, March 31, 2012
chunkybeefstyle (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melitta 1.7-Liter Cordless Kettle (Kitchen)
Pros:
- quick heating
- adjustable temperature by rheostat
- minimal plastic exposure in the construction for plastic-phobes (only in the water level gauge)
- Hamilton Beach manufactures the kettle, so it's made by a company with a track record with small appliances
- 360 degree rotation on base

Cons (potential):
- no audible alarm when done, just clicks (no issue for me since I use it on my desk in the office)
- not insulated (again, not an issue for me, but might be for some)
- temp not digitally controlled, so you'll have to accept that the temperature setting will be within a range, not pinpoint
- stupid adhesive on stupid label leaves a ghost-like residue on the outside of the kettle (if 2012 has not brought us hover cars or robot slaves, it should at least have brought us adhesives that consistently do not leave residue on products - is that asking too much?)

I purchased this kettle to make coffee at the office with an aeropress, which is most effective when using water at sub-boiling temps. When I first got it, I confirmed that the lowest setting will get the water to *around* 175 degrees F pretty consistently using a cook's thermometer. I think this is also the desired temp for certain types of tea, but I don't know/care much about that.

It's been working fine for a few months now, and the four star rating just reflects my subjective formula for balancing price against features - I think the price is a wee inflated. I would still recommend this product to anyone looking for an adjustable temp kettle and who doesn't get their knickers in a knot about perfectly exact temperatures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Purchase, July 14, 2013
This review is from: Melitta 1.7-Liter Cordless Kettle (Kitchen)
I spent the better part of a day pouring over electric kettle reviews before making this purchase and I'm happy with my choice.
My main requirements were that the kettle would look nice on a counter top, that it would be cordless, and that it be mostly metal or glass. I'll try to cover all the points that people seemed to be most interested in with electric kettles based on other reviews.

Design:
To each their own, but I think this kettle looks pretty nice in most kitchens. The brushed metal does get finger prints somewhat easily, as well as other smudges and smears from the kind of messy cooking that I usually tend to do, but it's also very easy to wipe these imperfections away so that the kettle looks brand new again.

Metal vs Plastic:
There's a bit of interior plastic around the spout and the lid. The water does not touch this plastic while it's heating up, only while pouring. The water level gauge (just under the handle) is also some sort of plastic, but the water inside the gauge is sort of separate from the water in the main chamber that's being heated. Kind of hard to explain, but the gauge is a separate little chamber and there are just little openings that allow the water into it. The little openings appear to be some kind of rubbery silicone material. The handle, of course, is also made of plastic, but over all, very little of the water appears to be in contact with plastic, especially while it is heating.

Reliability:
I've had this kettle for four months, so I can't testify to the reliability too much, but I've used it about once per day on average, maybe a bit more. I've had no problems thus far. I'll be sure to update this review if I ever do encounter a problem.

Temperature Settings:
No, they're not completely accurate. If you're a super tea purist, you'll still want to use a thermometer or a much more accurate kettle. However, this kettle will get you a lot closer. If you're the average tea drinker it's definitely good enough. Your non-black teas will taste much better using the kettle settings than just pouring boiling water over them. The manual also mentions that the settings are based on the temperature if the kettle is totally full. I almost never fill it all the way, so it might be more accurate if you do. I usually fill it just to the minimum or about halfway and I find the green tea setting is still almost cool enough for green tea (I usually let it cool just a tiny bit after what the kettle deems the right temperature) and the other settings work decently too. It does run a bit hot (at least when filled just halfway or to the minimum) so I usually have it set a notch or two below what I actually want.
For me, the temperatures at the different settings have been pretty consistent with a bit of variance based on how full the kettle is. Again, if you always fill it up all the way, it might work perfectly and be totally consistent. I haven't tested because I don't care quite that much.

Size:
It's definitely big enough to make more than a pot of tea. In fact, it will boil enough water to fill a decent sized pot to make noodles for a few people. To me, it doesn't take an unreasonable amount of counter space. It's bigger than I need, for sure, but not so large that the size bothers me. The size is exactly what I pictured/expected from the photos and descriptions.

Safety:
Yes, the outside gets hot. Duh. It's made of metal. If you have low counters or tall, grabby kids, maybe this is a problem. If you're a normal adult, this shouldn't be a problem. The handle is well placed so you shouldn't accidentally burn yourself. Plus, the plastic gauge is just underneath the handle and that doesn't get hot. I've never burnt myself with the kettle.
The manual says to unplug the base after use, but I never do. So far the house hasn't burnt down and no ill effects have resulted.
The automatic shut off has worked great for me! I used to always forget about my kettle and once nearly burnt the house down. Finally I reluctantly went to a whistling kettle, which was obnoxious and not great for middle-of-the-night-study-session tea when I lived with roommates. Plus, one of my roommates once left a whistling kettle on because she left the house before it started whistling! This kettle is great for the ultra-irresponsible like us! So much safer. It would also be great for the elderly who might be starting to have memory problems.

Hard water deposits:
You know those gross little chalky floaties that you get from kettles after you use them a bunch? Or maybe we have extra hard water. Anyway, this kettle has a little mesh thing covering the spout that, I assume, is designed to stop these little floaties. However, it doesn't seem to work. I still get the chalky deposits in my tea if I don't regularly clean out the interior of the kettle. And I totally cannot figure out why. The mesh thing is very fine and most (if not all) of the deposit floaties appear to be much larger than the tiny openings in the mesh. Additionally, the mesh appears to completely cover the spout, not allowing any gaps where the deposits can get through. Yet, somehow, they still get through. I can't figure it out at all. So if you're too lazy to regularly clean the interior of the kettle, but those deposits drive you nuts, this is probably not the kettle for you (unless mine just has some kind of weird flaw?)

Noise:
Not something I'd think about putting in a review, but others have mentioned it so I will too. Yes, this kettle makes some noise. And yes, contrary to what other reviewers have said it IS just the sound of the water heating up. Any kettle will make some noise. However, something about the shape and materials does cause the water heating noise to be amplified. It must be the reverse funnel shape of the kettle. It is a bit louder than other kettles in this regard. However, I personally don't think it's unreasonable. It's not going to wake up your kids or roommates or anything.

Speed:
Much faster than using the stove top and a pot, but I think it is a little bit slower than some kettles. It's also somewhat large and has a bit higher of a minimum water requirement, so if you just want a tiny amount of water, it's probably not your best option if speed is your highest priority. It's still fast enough that I can quickly make a cup of tea while I'm putting on socks and shoes when I'm running late for work. But it is a bit slower than the tiny, ugly, cheap, plastic electric kettle that I used to have. I haven't examined it closely, but I think the heating element is a metal bar that runs alone one side of the interior of kettle. This is in contrast to a lot of kettles which heat through the entire bottom of the kettle. Obviously the entire bottom is a lot more surface area than one bar/rod. I'm assuming that's why it's a bit more slow. Maybe that's the trade off for not having the bottom of the interior be plastic? Again, I haven't examined it closely. Might be wrong about that heating method.
But yeah, it definitely loses some points for speed in comparison with other electric kettles, but I certainly wouldn't say that it's slow.

In conclusion, factor in the decent price with everything else and I think this is a great kettle with good value. Highly recommended for frequent tea drinkers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Water Temperature Varies greatly, August 27, 2011
This review is from: Melitta 1.7-Liter Cordless Kettle (Kitchen)

I paid 46.88 for the Melitta on Amazon and ordered a Saeco 101167 50-Ounce Electric Water Kettle for 39.99 that has what appears to be an accurate temp setting, digital temp display, a 2 hour temp hold feature and cool lighting system that does nothing of value but is a cute feature.

The Saeco does a better job, has far more useful features and costs about $7.00 dollars less.

Win Win!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great kettle, February 2, 2012
This review is from: Melitta 1.7-Liter Cordless Kettle (Kitchen)
I am very happy with this kettle, although I have only had it for a week, so its durability is yet to be tested.

It is almost all metal inside, except for the lid, filter and parts of the water-level. I was worried about BPA-leaching plastic and this was the best I could find in a variable temperature kettle, especially for this price ($45 - all others are usually 60-80 dollars), although it does not say that the plastic that is present inside (however little) is BPA-free. I suppose you'd have to contact the seller to find out, but it's probably safe to assume that if it doesn't say "BPA-free" that it's not. In any case, I think the only ones that are completely metal inside just have one temp (boil).

The water heats up really quickly. I have not measured the temperature for each temp setting, but I can definitely tell that the water for "green tea" is adequate and does not come out as hot as for "black tea", which is boiling. There are temps marked for green, white, oolong and black, although you can slide the dial to any point in between.

It doesn't alert you with a "beep" or anything when the water is ready, but if you are close to it you can hear it heating up and then stopping after a slight "click" sound.

The cord is rather short, but this is not a problem for me and it is one that can be easily solved with an extension cord.

Also, it shipped pretty quickly.

All in all, a great purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good kettle !, April 8, 2011
K. Kwan (San Jose, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melitta 1.7-Liter Cordless Kettle (Kitchen)
For $60, this is less costly than the other digitally control kettle. And it serves my tea well. I drink green tea (matcha) and white tea (peony tea) and the boiling water kind of 'wiped out' some of the taste.

The control is a sliding lever with a red LED. Lowest temperature is for green tea, and highest is boiling. I have been using this for over a week, several times a day.

I am sure those fancy digital kettle price will come down, but until then, this one is all right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect combination of price and performance, April 21, 2012
This review is from: Melitta 1.7-Liter Cordless Kettle (Kitchen)
I wanted a stainless steel electric kettle with an adjustable temperature. I looked into several models, some of which were ridiculously expensive. I settled on this model, and I love it.

It has a sliding gauge so you can set it for green tea, oolong tea, coffee, etc. For those complaining about the exact temperature, I think it's unrealistic to expect it to be THAT exact. The point is, I definitely notice the green tea setting is much less hot than the coffee setting, and so on. I didn't get out a thermometer and don't expect it to be perfect. But it works great, looks great, and is at the right price!

I definitely recommend!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect kettle., December 27, 2012
This review is from: Melitta 1.7-Liter Cordless Kettle (Kitchen)
The design is simple and sleek. It is attractive and deceptively simple. The most important thing to know is that it does what it is designed to do and it does that well and efficiently.

I think of the temperature setting as a bonus. I wasn't looking for that in a kettle. It is a nice feature, but it is NOT a precise instrument.

I love the spout, an overlooked aspect of any kettle. It is a wide, no-drip spout. Perfect. The pop-up lid is a nice feature and just large enough to make filling and cleaning easy. You can easily remove the screen for cleaning but don't expect to easily put your whole hand into the kettle to clean it. If you must clean it, a brush of some kind will give you plenty of room. The nearly vertical walls of the kettle make it hard to put your hand to the bottom on a regular basis, but easy to care for if you have the need.

There are very few plastic parts (the reservoir guide in the back) which touch water. I like that.

The guide itself is accurate. The handle is well-balanced which makes pouring comfortable: I don't feel like I have to contort myself or the kettle to get the last of the water out. The on/off switch is hefty and accurate.

Because of the metal walls, you will feel the heat if you touch the sides. This is a concern to some, but I don't mind. If the pot (any pot) is full of water it will be heavy. If you need two hands to carry/pour it after boiling, know that the sides will be quite warm.

I haven't timed the kettle. Whether it heats in 30 seconds or 60 is not as much of an issue to me, but it does seem to do it quickly.

I've had it for 6 months and it has been reliable and beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional kettle for exceptional tea times, February 25, 2014
Dudes, yes.

I spent a good deal of time comparing kettles and reading the (often crazy) reviews to make sure I was going to get a kettle that would last because our last kettle - poor little Plastic Duchess - finally died when the seam split and water started gushing everywhere. (Must have been so embarrassing for her.)

Initially the things that were important to me: 1) does it make the water hot? 2) will it turn itself off once the water is hot? 3) does it hold more than 1.5 liters? 4) does it leak?

But then I kept reading and realized that maybe I should not look at plastic kettles because apparently they can poison you with their poisonous poison. I'd been using the previously mentioned plastic kettle for years with no physical side effects - and the water tastes/smells exactly the same, aka like hot water, but I'm impressionable when a sale is on and figured if it was such a big deal for so many people perhaps I should stick to metal or glass. Besides, a fancy kettle wouldn't have a seam that could split.

So, I narrowed it down to, like, three. One was red (oo! Pretty!) but small. Another was glass - but I'm a klutz, so why was I even looking at glass kettles?? And this was the 3rd. I love Melitta - they make the stuff I use to make coffee and I love coffee. And I love tea. All kinds of tea.

This kettle promises that it will heat the water to a temperature that is optimal for the kind of tea you're drinking - and it does. It also promises that its sleek brushed stainless steel exterior will lool super fab in your kitchen - and it does. It doesn't leak, the water is hot in a sickeningly quick lickety split and it doesn't sound like a fighter jet is in your house. It meets all my criteria and more - and there isn't any plastic trying to poison me. So. All the winning is happening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tea Kettle, April 28, 2013
This review is from: Melitta 1.7-Liter Cordless Kettle (Kitchen)
I've had this a couple weeks and love it! I like its simple design. I also bought the Melitta 10 cup Thermal Coffeemaker, so they are a nice matching set. Prior to buying these products I had my heart set on purchasing a combo coffee/tea maker unit. After reading their reviews (Cuisinart brand), I opted for two separate units.
Pros: Water capacity allows you to make several cups at a time. The Cuisinart combo unit I looked at required a 16oz reserve be kept at any given time. I also like the firm 'click' sound it makes to let you know it has shut off
Cons: About the only semi-con that I have found is that the water level viewer can be difficult to see if it's bad lighting. While I like the knob style tea gauge, I have seen several reviewers who would prefer the typical temp gauge found on other kettles.

Melitta 1.7-Liter Cordless Kettle