2,017 Reviews

2,124 of 2,138 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product if you know what you're getting into!
Published on July 24, 2012 by phoneman79

3.0 out of 5 stars A solid coffee maker, but not perfect.
I bought this for the same reasons you're probably already looking at thermal carafes, so I won't get into why that feature is so great.

Things I like about this coffee maker:
It makes hot, delicious coffee (despite other reviews here, my coffeemaker brews HOT coffee)
The thermal carafe keeps the coffee hot for about 1 hour, warm for up to 3...
Published on February 23, 2012 by N. Mitchell

2,124 of 2,138 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product if you know what you're getting into!, July 24, 2012
This review is from: Melitta 46894 10-Cup Thermal Coffeemaker with Standard Packaging (Kitchen)
As a person who considers himself a bit of a coffee connoisseur, I would like to shed some light on criticisms I found to be consistent amongst the less glowing reviews. I think some people who purchased this machine are a bit unfamiliar with the advantages versus traditional (glass carafe) brewers. They are mistaking some of the positives for negatives. I hope this helps current and potential buyers, as for the price (or even for more money) you'd be hard-pressed to find anything better. Allow me to explain...

STAINLESS STEEL CARAFE: A double insulated carafe (as found on the Melitta) serves to keep the coffee warm without a warming plate following the brewing cycle. Though the coffee does lose heat over time, you will not lose any taste. Glass carafes require a warming plate that keeps coffee at a consistent temperature by essentially cooking it. In other words, your coffee will taste horrible not long after the brewing cycle has finished. Imagine keeping your coffee on a low-flame stove burner all morning!

COFFEE TEMPERATURE: There is an accepted optimal brewing temperature for coffee of between 195-205°F. The Melitta is designed with this in mind. Other coffee makers are not. If you brew coffee at too high a temperature, you cook and over-extract the grinds. This results in a bitter taste.

FILTER BASKET: This is a cone-shaped basket instead of the more common flat-bottomed basket. The cone shape allows the water to contact the grounds for longer and create a fuller brew. Also, it is highly advisable to use unbleached paper filters versus reusable mesh ones. The paper filters absorb much of the acidity resulting in a smoother tasting coffee. Having used the permanent gold-tone filters in the past, I can say from experience they simply don't work as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best ever! Finally!!!! A working coffee pot!!!! Whoohooooo!, December 4, 2011
YES YES YES! Finally a working coffee pot that wasn't designed/built by total morons!

A coffee maker should do the following:
1. Make coffee into a pot (not on the counter)
2. Make hot coffee (listen up mr coffee!)
3. Actually pour coffee out of the carafe! (again something mt coffee hasn't figured out)
4. Actually brew the entire filters worth of grinds and not just part of the grinds
5. Not cost an Arm and a leg.... It's a simple appliance

After going through 6 different coffee makers from 4 different mfg's I finally found one that meets my extremely picky 5 requirements (sarcasm) this maker is the ONLY one that does!

4.0 out of 5 stars Why So Hard To Find A Good Basic Coffee Maker, July 28, 2012
Maine Thoughts (Gray, Maine, USA) - See all my reviews
If you are reading these reviews on coffee makers you, like me, are amazed at how nearly every maker has very mixed reviews. Why can't a good standard coffee maker be made? My first drip coffee maker lasted 15 years, my second about 8 years but after reading many of the reviews, it appears it's now common for makers to only last 2-3 years! I do like to grind my own beans and my previous coffee maker was a Melitta but it was mediocre in grinding and started to leak at the end of its 8 years. I decided this medium priced coffee maker without a coffee grinder was a good compromise on price and functionality. I have been using it for a month now and have been very impressed. The cone filters do give a better brew but only if you get coffee that is medium fine ground, many commercial coffees are coarse ground.

Melitta also makes some coffee and I have found their Vienna Roast to be particularly good. I do believe that the setting on the machine allowing you to make stronger or weaker brews does work. It basically does a slower cycle if you want stronger coffee but again make sure you have medium fine ground coffee to make this work for you. For those of you who are fanatics about hot coffee, it stays plenty hot on the warmer, I had to actually change my setting to a cooler setting. My only criticism is the basket handle must be up when you insert it into the maker. Once you hear the basket snap then you fold down the handle. It took me several days to figure out why I was having difficulty with the basket. I would have given 5 stars had this feature worked better, but not a problem once you understand how to insert it correctly.

So after my frustration at researching coffee makers I am very happy with this one. Rest assured that I will update this review if I find the coffee maker doesn't hold up over time... happy brewing!

Update: 20 months later - Dec 2013 - The coffee maker continues to do well at brewing. It is starting to show deterioration of the warming ring with a the coating wearing off and some early rust showing through. Doesn't impact the coffee but shows the quality of the materials aren't as good as old coffee makers I've had.

3.0 out of 5 stars A solid coffee maker, but not perfect., February 23, 2012

Things I like about this coffee maker:
The thermal carafe keeps the coffee hot for about 1 hour, warm for up to 3 hours
The machine looks elegant and fits in with my kitchen decor (with the exception of the strange red band of plastic around the top of the carafe)
No overflowing coffee on the counter.
The carafe doesn't drip when pouring.

Things that make me scratch my head about this coffee maker:
The separate water tank and coffee filter sections. It makes the opening of the machine awkward because you have to deal with two hinged openings. You can't open just the coffee section without opening the water lid anyway, so I don't understand why they designed it this way.
The lack of water level viewing windows on both sides of the maker. There is only a viewing window on the right, and since we have our machine set up with the right side against a wall, I have to pull it out or peer into the top to try to see how much water I've added.
It is difficult to fully empty the carafe, both when filling the water tank or when trying to get the last drops of coffee out of the carafe.
The handle on the top of the filter holder. It gets in the way when trying to dump out the grounds. Luckily it pops right off, but I don't see why the designers put it there in the first place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good coffee maker with a thermal carafe, November 10, 2011
I bought this from Abe"s of maine. I usually don't write reviews but I did a lot of research and have waited a long time to buy another coffee maker since my Philips Thermal was getting a bit old.
I have tried a number of thermal units in the past and could not find one that produced hot coffee from the start, never mind after awhile from the carafe. The Philips was good, not perfect, where after my second cup I had to hit the microwave. So I came across the Melitta older version and wanted to buy it but could not find one at an reasonable price so I called Melitta. They said it was discontinued but they have a new model 46894. Now the picture is wrong here, it shows a glass carafe, the same on Abe's website but the model number was correct so I ordered it and got the thermal carafe.

So far I really like it. I ran water thru it and it is 5 degrees hotter than my Philips and it has a hot plate which gets good and hot during the brew time and then goes off when it stops brewing. It has 3 Brew settings which must be different temperatures which makes the water pass thru at different speeds. I have tried all 3 and I can't see there is a big difference, but I think you need to be exact in measuring and using the same coffee and amount of water. I have 3 coffees open in decanters which I switch everyday for variety.

Easy to fill without spilling water, easy to clean and the carafe is a one handed operation to pour..

So all I can say is go for it!.. Can't beat the price and quality for a good cup of coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Been looking for a coffee maker like this!, April 13, 2012
UPDATE: I'm updating the review just to reinforce its pros and add another. After 4 months, it's working like a champ(as expected). I'd like to add another pro: Sometimes when I pour the coffee too quickly, the coffee overcomes the spout and coffee drips along the carafe's wall on to the table - especially when the carafe is full. I always have to be careful not to pour it too quickly. However the spout on this carafe is made such that it prevents over-spill. I love it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original review:

I usually brew my coffee with Bialetti 6800 Moka Express 6-Cup Stovetop Espresso Maker with whole coffee beans ground by Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder, Black. However, when we have guests, we need a regular coffee maker: I can't brew enough coffee with Moka Express without running it 2-4 times and that just simply takes too long.

We used to have a braun coffee maker with served us well. When it started leaking, we had to look for an alternative. I was not too impressed with any of the cuisinarts and finally trimmed my selection down to this and Zojirushi coffee makers. While trying to decide, Woot.com had a Wolfgang Puck coffee maker on sale and I pulled the trigger. I shouldn't have. When it arrived, I was let down by cheap-feeling plastics and "metals". The carafe had to be inserted with pressure and just right position to avoid spills. I had to send it back.

Then, this coffee maker price dropped to $50 and I had to try it. Am I ever glad that I did! Here are pros and cons:
PROS:
1. Makes a great cup of coffee. It's not as good as Moka Express, but I've never found a drip coffee maker that even comes close. This one comes closer than any I've tasted. I only tried "Bold" mode, but you can also use "Regular" and "Robust" for lighter and darkest flavors respectively.
2. Coffee temperature is hot. I haven't actually measured it, but it's hotter than my braun and other cuisinarts I've tried. This adds to the taste of the coffee.
3. Carafe goes into the coffee maker without any fuss - very smooth. Many coffee makers now use one of those round ball-like contact point between the carafe and the coffee maker. The problem with many of them is that the contact is awkward most of the time. This one fits smoothly.
4. Looks great on the counter. My finicky wife is satisfied with the looks - that's all I can ask. She says the plastic on the Wolfgang Puck was very cheap looking while this one looks descent. She's the expert.

CONS:
1. This is slightly taller than other coffee makers. As other reviewers have mentioned, you may have to pull it out of under the cabinet in order to pour water into the bin.
2. There is no auto-shutoff. Not much of a problem for me.
3. When set at "Bold" setting, it does take longer to brew than I'm used to. "Robust" would certainly take even longer.

I would highly recommend this coffee maker just for the taste of the coffee. Other pros are bonus. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't hesitate to buy this one!, June 10, 2012
My husband and I feel lucky if a coffeemaker lasts a year before starting to leak and needing to be replaced. We have only had this Melitta for about a month so don't know what to expect with longevity. I wake up several hours earlier than my husband and we set our coffee maker to start brewing at 4:00 a.m. to be ready for me to enjoy a cup of coffee as soon as I roll out of bed. We prefer our coffee to be bold and HOT. We use the robust setting and this coffeemaker makes an excellant cup coffee! Noticeably different than any other we've had in the past and I assume the water temperature is hotter during brew time. The main reason I chose to buy this particular coffeemaker was for the thermal carafe, and let me tell you, it hasn't disappointed. When my husband gets up at 7:00, or even later, the coffee is still just as hot as we like, and he no longer complains that it tastes burned after sitting on a warmer for several hours. Last week we were gone from home for more than 4 hours and when we got back the coffee was still hot enough that it didn't need to be nuked. In our opinion, that's reason enough to buy this one. On the downside and the only reason my rating isn't 5 stars, we wish it were a 12 cup maker rather than 10 cup, but in Melitta's defense, I don't believe any other brand makes a 12 cup with thermal carafe, either. One last comment is that we had a thermal carafe coffeemaker (different brand) quite a few years ago and the carafe leaked after I submersed it in water to wash it. I believe that must have broken a seal and won't make that mistake again.
I appreciate the reviews from others, always doing my research before making a purchase, so I hope this has been helpful to someone else. Thank you, Amazon, for your great service and quick delivery time, yet again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quiet coffeemaker excellent coffee, December 17, 2011
Like many it seemed I devoted every spare moment for 2 weeks trying to find the BEST replacement coffee maker, and everything was either hundreds of dollars or got mixed reviiews so it was hard to take the plunge. We have had this Melitta for a week and I love it! I find the coffee is tasty. I love the design of the thermal carafe, it does not drip. It has pause and serve and can be programmed to auto start. AND it is quiet. NO beep! It does not beep, a feature I always found annoying. Plus it brews very quietly as well. It is very easy to pour in the water. I am one happy camper!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the benchmark model for all thermal coffee makers, December 4, 2011
fafield (Northern California) - See all my reviews
This Melitta model should be considered the benchmark for thermal coffee makers. It delivers a robust pot of coffee that I really look forward to each morning.

The design is well thought out. The electronic controls are on top (some models have them on the bottom of the maker where they are subject to flooding if the pot overflows and certainly subject to collecting fine bits of coffee). The opening for the water reservoir is large so it is easy to fill. Hot water is distributed widely and seemingly evenly across the top of the filter cone. This coupled with a design that heats the water to the appropriate high temperature leads to excellent flavor extraction. I'm finding that I need to use less coffee to make a robust pot than I did with my previous coffee maker. The carafe is well designed. It fits comfortably in the hand, does not drip and pouring a cup of coffee is a one hand operation. Coffee remains hot for several hours in the carafe.

After a poor experience with an ill-designed coffee maker (not Melitta), it is a pleasure to be using this Melitta maker.

1.0 out of 5 stars Started out good but soon went downhill, October 22, 2012
Michael Fry (Waterford, MI United States) - See all my reviews
At first, this was the perfect coffee maker. It brewed coffee fast and hot. Where it started to go downhill... For starters the hot plate started to rust, the coffee doesn't stay hot for very long to top it all off, the customer service sucks. As I found out the device is manufactured by Hamilton Beach.

From: Consumer Relations <consumerrelations@melitta.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 9:25 AM
Subject: RE: Mellita Coffee Maker
To: ########## <#############>

Dear ##########:
Thank you for contacting Melitta.
I have forwarded your inquiry to our manufacturing partner, Hamilton Beach.
A representative will be contacting you regarding this issue.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Yvette Harris
Supervisor, Consumer Relations
Melitta USA, Inc.
13925 58th Street North, Clearwater, FL 33760 USA

Tel: +00 1 (727) 524-4866 Fax: +00 1 (727) 524-4680
yharris@melitta.com [...]
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Now today almost one month I received this email. Since then I have two other follow up emails and have not received one response yet.

I will be replacing this device soon and never buying a Hamiton Beach product again.

Rate and Discover Movies