1,920 Reviews

2,017 of 2,030 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product if you know what you're getting into!
As a person who considers himself a bit of a coffee connoisseur, I would like to shed some light on criticisms I found to be consistent amongst the less glowing reviews. I think some people who purchased this machine are a bit unfamiliar with the advantages versus traditional (glass carafe) brewers. They are mistaking some of the positives for negatives. I hope this...
Published 24 months ago by phoneman79

3.0 out of 5 stars A solid coffee maker, but not perfect.
I bought this for the same reasons you're probably already looking at thermal carafes, so I won't get into why that feature is so great.

Things I like about this coffee maker:
It makes hot, delicious coffee (despite other reviews here, my coffeemaker brews HOT coffee)
The thermal carafe keeps the coffee hot for about 1 hour, warm for up to 3...
Published on February 23, 2012 by N. Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, December 12, 2011
J. La "Me in MN" (Red Wing, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melitta 46894 10-Cup Thermal Coffeemaker with Standard Packaging (Kitchen)
Finally a thermal coffee pot that doesn't brew coffee all over my counter! Very lightweight. Takes up little counter space compared to other thermals I have owned. The carafe is light and easy to use with an easy and clear way to make sure it is locked and closed. The different brew strengths are a great feature. And the hot plate that warms up the pot while brewing but turns off automatically when finished is genius. Very pleased with this purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Started out good but soon went downhill, October 22, 2012
Michael Fry (Waterford, MI United States) - See all my reviews
At first, this was the perfect coffee maker. It brewed coffee fast and hot. Where it started to go downhill... For starters the hot plate started to rust, the coffee doesn't stay hot for very long to top it all off, the customer service sucks. As I found out the device is manufactured by Hamilton Beach.

From: Consumer Relations <consumerrelations@melitta.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 9:25 AM
Subject: RE: Mellita Coffee Maker
To: ########## <#############>

Dear ##########:
Thank you for contacting Melitta.
I have forwarded your inquiry to our manufacturing partner, Hamilton Beach.
A representative will be contacting you regarding this issue.
We apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Yvette Harris
Supervisor, Consumer Relations
Melitta USA, Inc.
13925 58th Street North, Clearwater, FL 33760 USA

Tel: +00 1 (727) 524-4866 Fax: +00 1 (727) 524-4680
yharris@melitta.com [...]
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Now today almost one month I received this email. Since then I have two other follow up emails and have not received one response yet.

I will be replacing this device soon and never buying a Hamiton Beach product again.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME COFFEE!!!, December 4, 2011
This is a sturdy coffee machine. Sleek looks, simple use, great coffee, easy to clean up. Coffee still pretty warm after 4 hrs. Really easy to use and clean carafe. Brews quickly enough, and produces piping hot coffee. Brew strength is a nice way to use less coffee and extract more flavor... more noticeable with fine grounds. Bonus, you can make iced coffee with this one! Fill the carafe with ice, double coffee grounds, and brew (directions are in the manual). YUM! Very bright blue LED for those who care, no bother to me. I read about all the others available Dec 2011, and this seemed the best bang for the buck! I recommend a burr grinder for excellent flavor! No burnt coffee taste at all. BUY IT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Product, But Be Careful Buying Here, February 12, 2012
TE5LA (Conway, AR United States) - See all my reviews
The reason for the title is due to this product being shown inaccurately on Amazon. The photo shows a stainless thermal carafe when indeed this is not the product being sold here. The thermal model is a 10-cup coffee maker while this is the 12-cup glass model. The seller was nice and made amends for the misleading page and my review of the product is in no way reflective of this incident. While true that the description does not state "thermal", I had looked at the other Melitta thermal 10-cup one and had selected this one because it was a 12-cup model. I think the coffee makers may be the same except for the carafe, the thermal being fewer cups because of the thickness of the carafe.

The product is attractive and the controls being above the carafe ensures they will not get soaked in the event of a spill, which can happen with other makers where the controls are in front of the hot plate. The Braun machine I am replacing (broken carafe) was like this. I will be using the Braun as a comparison in this review.

The controls on the Melitta are simple: A large round button for turning the maker on and off with a red LED in the center to indicate status. A similar button to the left of the display selects the brew strength of Regular, Bold, or Robust, which is displayed in small text at the bottom of the blue-backlit display. There seems to be a noticeable difference in Regular and Bold. I have not tried Robust. Near the brew select button is a small button for the hot plate temperature for LO, MED, or HI. Unlike some people who sue fast food chains for making hot coffee, I like my coffee hot so I set this to "HI". The downside is that since I make only enough coffee for a single serving and forget to turn off the unit, it scorches the small amount that might be remaining in the carafe. This is because the hot plate remains on for two hours and is not adjustable. My older Braun unit (about 10 years now) has an adjustable hot plate timer from zero (instant off) to four hours in 1-minute increments. I don't see why any programmable coffee maker today would not have this feature. The other small buttons are to set the clock and the auto-brew time. A small LED lights up to indicate that auto-brew is enabled.

Physically, the maker is fairly trim width-wise but is pretty tall. It is nearly 2 inches taller than my Braun and while it will fit below my cabinets, you can't open the filler doors, so it has to remain out front of the cabinets. The flip-up doors are a bad design. The coffee area cannot be opened without also opening the water reservoir door as well. You can open the water door without open the coffee door, but not the other way 'round. This makes it possible to spill some coffee grounds into the water reservoir if you're not very careful. The filter basket has a handle that swings up and the basket can be inserted only one way and the handle must be raised or the basket will not seat properly. I'm not certain of the reasoning behind this design but it isn't a critical thing once you're used to it.

The carafe is well-designed. It has a piece near the pouring spout inside the carafe that makes it a bit difficult for large hands to reach inside for cleaning, but it is a small price to pay for the way it pours, which is excellent. There is never any back-pouring of the coffee which I believe is why this piece is in the carafe. The lid will attempt to fall open when the carafe is nearly empty, but I prevent this now by keeping my thumb pressed lightly against the flipper part of the lid. It would have been nice if there had been a spring or more friction in the hinge to prevent this. The water level indicator matches the indicator on the reservoir perfectly. I'm not sure if Melitta has compensated for water loss in the filter and evaporation with these measurements. I typically pour a 16.9-oz. container of bottled water that fills my travel cup almost perfectly.

I purchased the whole bean Kicking Horse "Kick Ass" coffee with this and it's pretty good. I like the Bold setting. I have also ordered a burr grinder and will delegate my Cuisinart blade grinder to spices only. So far, this coffee maker is satisfactory for my needs. I am hoping to be able to find the thermal carafe (if indeed it is compatible. The only thing is, it seems odd that the hot plate will still be on unless manually turned off.

P.S. For some reason, the Amazon link and page for this lists "Hamilton Beach" as the manufacturer, but it is a Melitta product.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!!!, January 4, 2012
I've only had this coffee pot for a week and so far am very satisfied with it. This is a replacement for the Zojirushi EC-BD15BA in which I was very disappointed with. I'm very particular about my coffee (roast and grind my own beans) so naturally I demand a good coffee maker. After trying 5 pots within a years time I can finally say, this one works for me. I make 2 or 3 six cup pots a day and have tried each of the 3 brew settings at least 3 times and must say there is actually a difference in the settings which is important to me. Unlike the Zojirushi this one has a warming plate that comes on and turns off once the brewing cycle is finished so there is no need to warm the thermal carafe prior to brewing. Using room temperature water the coffee comes out at about 165 degrees. The thermal carafe does at good job of keeping the coffee fairly hot for at least 3 hours which is fine for me. One particular evening I had left about a cup of coffee in the carafe overnight. To my suprise when I opened the lid to rinse the carafe there was a little steam from the coffee after sitting for over 8 hours. The carafe is well constructed with an easy to use lid unlike the Zojirushi. The unit itself is sleek, attractive and well designed. I would recommend this coffee maker to anyone that loves a GOOD HOT CUP OF COFFEE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Melitta 46894 10-Cup Thermal Coffeemaker - a pretty nice coffee maker, August 21, 2012
Control Alt Delete (The Alternate Universe) - See all my reviews
Edit 14 months later: Coffee maker still going strong. No problems. We use it at least once a day, sometimes two or three. I do clean/descale it regularly (although not as often as Melitta suggests). I still rate it 5 stars. One of the best coffee makers out there. My only quibble is that the carafe lid gets cruddy.

After an initial hiccup on the first unit delivered and having received a replacement for it (Amazon does make returns easy) - I have to say that this is a pretty great coffee maker. It makes great coffee. I do however think reviewing coffee makers is pretty subjective though...just try to settle on a machine based on reviews! All of the positives and negatives on every single machine out there will make your head spin and almost impossible to make a decision. I'll give you my take on this machine. I will be honest, I am kind of a coffee maker geek. I've always considered Melitta whenever I was looking for a new machine...but always decided against them for one reason or another...like I had to have a Cuisinart! I had to have a KitchenAid! This time, I got tired of dealing with the finicky Bunn machine and happened to try Melitta coffee while on vacation. The coffee turned out to be good, so I thought what the heck..I will try a Melitta machine. I am glad I did:

I measured the temperature of the water dripping into the basket, and my thermometer registered 202 degrees F at one point - usually hovering between 198 and 201. That's really good for a drip coffee maker.

The thermal carafe keeps the coffee plenty hot for us - I don't like it so hot that it scalds my mouth...and besides, the coffee isn't around more than a few hours anyway. I am sure that the glass, non-thermal model would keep the coffee hotter..but I just get so tired of yucky, burnt tasting coffee. The thermal carafe is no more or less complicated to clean than any other we've had in the past. The manual says dishwasher safe, but I don't plan to ever wash it in the dishwasher.

We have tried the Regular, Bold, and Robust brew settings. It does make a difference. We use the Robust setting, finely ground coffee, and filtered water. I have to admit we did have to play around with the amount of coffee and the brew settings before we found the right combination for us.

It is very easy to program and operate. Very simple.

I guess if I did have a complaint it would be the placement of the water level window. It should be in the front. It just so happens that it is on the right side where I can see it when pouring water in...but I can understand how it would be a pain if you had the unit placed so that it was hard to see the right side of the machine.

The blue light on the clock/program window is pretty bright. It serves as a nice nightlight for our kitchen. Just be forewarned in case you don't like a little extra light at night! We like it.

It does have the pause feature where you can remove the carafe and pour a cup while it is still brewing. I never do that...but it is there if you want it.

The burner does turn on while brewing, then turns off when the brew cycle is finished. I've read complaints about that both ways...that it should not come on at all, and that it should stay on. I'm pretty sure it comes on to help warm the carafe. I haven't found it so hot that it feels like it would burn me or anything..but it is pretty warm right after brewing. I can understand the logic of behind that. I can't however, understand the logic of anyone complaining that it doesn't stay on. That would defeat the whole purpose of having a thermal carafe.

I think that's about it. I find this coffee maker just as good as if not better than more expensive brands we've had in the past - and that it makes just as good if not better tasting coffee. I am comparing this to machines anywhere from a $20 Mr. Coffee up to a $250 KitchenAid. I haven't tried the Technivorm yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee, October 28, 2012
I purchased this item after returning the stainless-steel carafe version (because the SS version leaked all the water out of the tank onto my counter). I was skeptical, but presumed that the SS one was simply defective.

The glass version has worked out perfectly, and is the best drip coffee maker I have had in several years.

PROS:
Brew-strength selector-- I like the "bold" setting-- the coffee tastes great! No need to add extra coffee for a bolder flavor, the temp of the water automatically adjusts to create the perfect brew based on your selection.

Timer: easy to set the night before for hot coffee when you wake up

Auto-off: always a nice feature, also, unlike some others, you can turn the hot plate back on to reheat the pot. Other machines I have had will not allow repat-on without adding water to make a new pot.

Hot plate temp adjust: I live at altitude, so I really like being able to set the hot plate to "high" to actually keep the coffee HOT.

Carafe: it doesn't leak or drip! It really doesnt! No more icky rag on the counter to catch drips.

CONS: (quite minor)
The filter basket is a bit shallow; this is the first coffee maker I've had that you really must fold the filter edges over . If you don't fold them, it doesn't fit very well.

The LCD is quite bright-- doesnt' bother me as I don't sleep near the kitchen. Would be an issue in a dorm-room or a small apartment where the LCD is visible from sleeping areas.

Overall this is a great coffee maker with all the features you need, plus some really nice ones like the brew strength.
The price is reasonanble . Definitely beats the Mr. Coffees and Cuisinarts out there.

1.0 out of 5 stars Started leaking at week one, completely useless at month four, June 4, 2012
I was excited for a nice thermal pot coffee maker, and this one looked to be of nice quality and value for price. However...

Within the first week, the carafe began leaking from the red seal/stripe during every pour to my cup. Luckily that ceased after a while (assuming the seals inside got gummed with coffee or somehow fixed themselves).

Now four months later, the entire reservoir leaks nearly all the hot water right out of the base of the machine during brewing- meaning 10 cups of water put in = 1.5 cups of coffee out to the carafe and 8.5 cups of water all over your counter top- just comes right out of the base of the unit!

Such a disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pot Leaks, January 20, 2013
M. Josephson (Midwest, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
Makes a good pot of coffee but the pot leaks seriously around the red band shown on the photo. Melitta has been unresponsive.

Update...I ordered this product in Dec. 2012..It is March 2013..The coffee pot has leaked since day one. I contacted the company in Jan. and again in Feb. They have not replaced the leaky pot as they promised. The volume of the leak makes this coffee maker close to unusable. I was told the pot is made by Hamilton Beach and is back ordered. Buy a Melitta product ? Never again.

1.0 out of 5 stars LEAKY!, August 8, 2012
I selected this product based on the many nice reviews. I was thrilled when it finally arrived, I followed all instructions for setting it up, got it ready to brew me some coffee the next morning, and went about the rest of my evening.

I came out to the kitchen a half hour later to find that the water reservoir had almost completely drained, leaking all over my counter top!

I tested and fiddled and tried to see what was causing the leak, to no avail, its somewhere inside.

The 46894 does brew good coffee, and the thermal carafe keeps it hot for hours - but the leakage defeats the whole purpose of a programmable coffee maker. It even leaks while brewing on the Robust setting as apparently that holds the water in the Reservoir too long.

I am VERY disappointed in this machine, complete waste of my time and money (which I hope to get at least some of the money back when I return it).

Rate and Discover Movies