Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Melitta Ready Set Joe/Mug 64010 Coffee Makers Speciality, Black
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Package Quantity: 1|Change

on June 21, 2011
As I can tell from other reviews, most people use these units in the office, and I am no exception. Since my company does not allow us to use small appliances at our desks (citing, "OSHA violations"), this unit serves my purposes excellently and at a price of $6, you really cannot go wrong. However, it takes some preparation to get the unit to make excellent, damn-near Chemex quality coffee. Here's how I did it:

The unit comes with some #2 paper filters, and since I acquired the unit at my local grocery store, I picked up some natural paper filters as well. A quick trip to Starbucks for some ground beans (I have to take the hit on fresh grind due to the, "no small appliances" rule) and I'm back at my desk about to have my first cup. I use one rounded tablespoon of cone-filter ground coffee for every four ounces of water (adjust to your taste preference). Once the water is done heating up, I pour the hot (not boiling; we're not making soup here) water over the grounds and patiently await my first cup, which takes all of about two minutes (half the ideal saturation time for grounds, but given the circumstances and the alternative of nasty office coffee, I'm not going to be too picky here). Right off the bat, the taste is off. There is an overwhelming taste of plastic and a strange, pulpy taste, which I am able to conclude as the paper from the filter. After a quick Internet search, I find excellent instructions and a video on vimeo for making coffee through a Chemex drip unit, which instructs one to pour a decent amount of hot water through the paper filter to eliminate that taste. That's one off-putting aspect gone, but it's an additional step in the process. Again, circumstances, alternative, not being picky.

However, what is there to do about the taste of polycarbonate in my coffee? Well, another quick search ends up with instructions on how to pretty-much eliminate plastic leaching from plastic parts in coffee machines, thus eliminating the taste. Boil the part in 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol (or cheap vodka) for about half an hour to fotry-five minutes and then run two kettles (mine is 1.5 liters per full kettle) of boiling water through it to wash it off, followed by a weak pot of coffee to eliminate any remaining taste interference. Wear a facemask or something; it's not a good thing to be breathing when it boils.

The results speak volumes. By eliminating the plastic taste and following the Chemex drip instructions (pre-rinsing the filter, pre-soaking the grounds for about thirty seconds, and dragging out the pour time of the water as long as I can), I am able to make an excellent cup of coffee with that slightly-reddish tint that indicates a quality drip brew, all with a $6 part ($3 if you don't get the one with the mug!). If you're already fine with the taste you get from the unit without doing these things, then keep on truckin'; glad it's working out for you! But for those who want to get the most out of this unit with not a lot of effort, follow these steps. You won't regret it!
1111 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2007
This coffee maker is super! My office has access to hot water, but not enough space for a traditional coffee maker. Ready Set Joe, was the answer. A delicious cup of hot coffee, with just the pouring of hot water. Everything is here, and only takes the space of a coffee mug. Low tech, high quality, that's how I define it.

John
on September 24, 2010
Having a wife that worked as a Barista, I have run the gamut of individual coffee makers - from the single French press to the single cup coffee maker. This is my absolute favorite for the office. It makes great coffee and is inexpensive - what more could you ask for? Clean up is simple and I like the fact that you can see the coffee level in your cup so that you don't overfill it.
on December 4, 2011
I finally went to this method of making coffee after many different versions of coffee makers: Mr. Coffee, Buhn, Pods, Keurig, and out-of-manufacturing versions. All had great qualities but ended up having fatal flaws such as breaking, spitting steam, overflowing grounds basket, or mineral build up.
I went to a coffee press but I didn't like all the mess of the grounds.
Then the light went on about when I had lived in Germany. My mother-in-law had a simple coffee maker by Melitta using Number 4 cone Melitta filters.
I found this simple version in my local grocery store using #2 cone filters. I love it. I especially love the improvement of this one over my mother-in-law's old version in that you can see the coffee level in the mug under the filter holder.
I highly recommend all the manual, simple drip Melitta coffee makers I own. I own the black #2 cone filter holder (single serve) on a black mug, the red #2 cone filter holder (single serve) on a red mug, and the Melitta CoffeeMaker CM-10/6 which uses a #6 cone filter.
on October 3, 2012
Let me first clarify that I did not purchase this item from Amazon, but instead just happened to come across it at my local grocery store while I was shopping one day. My local store does not offer a review board, so I came to Amazon instead to review when I saw it was offered here.

I work the night shift and we are not allowed to use coffee pots or other food heating sources, etc. Ridiculous but true. We do have access to hot water from our break room so I knew I would be able to use this.

I will be honest and tell you I didn't expect much at all based on just the price alone. I truly believed I would end up with nothing more than a watered down cup of coffee that had the taste equivalent to instant coffee. I never expected to have a cup of hot coffee that tasted like it came from my drip coffee maker at home.

I pre-measure the coffe prior to leaving my house and place it in a container so I just have to place in the paper filter, pour in the coffee and stream the hot water over the top. Within just two minutes I have a steaming hot cup of fresh coffee.

People I work with were amazed that this was even available and there have been several of them that have already gone out to purchase one themsevles. In fact, the first night I made just my one cup I had several people come into the room telling me they could smell fresh coffee and where did I get it.

This is a great product, small investment in price and provides great results.
on August 30, 2015
I love that you can see how full your cup is through the hole. For a one cup filter this is a must have.

I take the one star because the handle is awkward to hold and my mesh cone #2 permanent filter doesn't sit well in it like it does in my others. If you use a #2 cone paper filter, this isn't an issue. Still the see through view is worth the handle and not perfect fit.

The cup is pretty small and the base has a indentation that makes air drying an issue with standing water in the base. The cup is stated as 12 oz and when they say twelve, it is exact. I took my measuring cup and fill the cup with 12 oz of water, I thought it was going to overflow but it just got to the very edge and top.
review image
on January 28, 2014
So my wife purchased the Melitta for me!

I had worked at another job where one of my coworkers had one of these, and he would make coffee for me on occasion. This was such a quick & pleasant device - and made such a good, strong cup of coffee (right when you needed it) that I needed one at my current job.

This is super-quick & easy to use - you'll figure out your 'routine' in no time. I can usually make a solid cup of coffee in < 2 minutes and have my coworkers asking me to make them a cup :)

There are no drawbacks to this device - you can 'almost' use any filter - as I have tried several, just conforming them to the basket. I have found that sometimes they get a little boggy (the larger filters), but if you just lift the sides a little, your coffee will resume streaming out into your cup.

As an aside, I never use soap on the basket, I just rinse it with water & may wipe it out with a wet paper towel.

I hope that this helps you!
on August 27, 2015
I have a coffee press but the press makes more coffee than an need, I can't keep it hot over time and I dislike cleaning it. This single cup brewer makes one mug (10 oz still leaves a little room at the top) and it brews quickly if you have hot water available. A tea kettle, electric hot water kettle or an instant hot water dispenser (which I love on my sink) helps make this very convenient for one or more cups of coffee. Microwaving your water will work, too. I use two coffee scoops (my scoop measures 2 tsp) but your choice may be different. I have the #2 filters and can just pick up the spent coffee in the filter and add it to my compost bin. The only thing I don't like is that the mug, which is very nice, doesn't have a flat bottom so it doesn't work well with my mug warmer on my desk so it I want one for the office, I just use a different coffee mug.
on June 12, 2009
It was just terrific --just as I imagined and came with a set of starter filters too---perfect -- my highest compliments -- inexpensive and a great deal
on March 13, 2014
This product is AMAZING. My office's coffee is distilled sewage, but I need my morning coffee. I thought about bringing my french press from home, but I didn't want to be cleaning it everyday. I saw this product and was skeptical due to it's simplicity.

Today I am a believer in this product. It is so nice to have my favorite coffee from home, but at work.

Clean up is almost non existent. You throw out the filter (if paper), and rinse the top part. THAT'S IT.

I'm buying a second one for camping.

WHAT THE EFF ARE YOU WAITING FOR? BUY THIS THING NOW!