Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on November 3, 2006
Ok, bought this model because it was the cheapest burr grinder I could find. Read the reviews and thought some people are just too picky. Well, I got what I paid for. Nice looking grinder and grinds quickly and consistently, but boy is it messy to use! First, bean container lid does not stay on and you have to hold it down during operation. Don't even think I have a defective unit as I just don't see how it is designed to stay put. Second, serious static electricity. I know all units have some static buildup during operation, but the grounds get EVERYWHERE with this one. Trust me, you'll have coffee grinds all over the place when you use it. You'll just be grinding a ton of coffee each time to last you till the next time you have to use it. Third, the container that collects the ground coffee is also poorly designed. The lid can easily pop off as you're pulling it out of the unit (and again, there goes all the statically charged coffee grinds all over the place) and it is oddly shaped and has difficulty fitting into my large coffee canister for emptying. A better design would have been to have the lid attached and sliding off partially for emptying. Anyway, I'm putting up with it for now but expect to be buying another one in about a year. Yes it was cheap but I'd recommend paying the extra money to upgrade to a better grinder.
My friend has an old (OLD) Oster grinder with a similar look and features from the 50's that her son found at a thrift shop. I've been coveting it for years so when I saw *this* grinder, I thought I'd found a comparable grinder. WRONG. The Melitta is messy, make sure you have the cup in tightly (when you can get it in tightly!) or it will shoot grounds all over your counter and the grind is nearly the same -- course, uneven, a little powder, a lot of big chunks -- whether on 1 or 18.

If you want to make a decent cup of strong coffee, and forget about espresso, you'd have to take the whole beans out of the holder and re-grind your *already* ground beans again and again. I can't even give this thing away. I'm going back to my small, electric Oster Cafe' Mill for a decent cuppa Joe and the guys at Waste Management can have the Melitta.
on October 11, 2004
I'd give this zero stars if Amazon permitted me to. If you do buy this--which I recommend you don't--be sure to use it in the kitchen sink where it'll be easy to clean up the mess. I grind about 2 week's worth of beans each time and make about four cups of ground coffee. Inevitably, the machine somehow sprays about 2 tablespoons of grounds all over the place (now in my sink since I've learned the hard way!) The nozzle where the grounds come out has also gotten jammed several times requiring digging the jammed grounds out with a knife, otherwise you risk burning the thing out. The top for the bean reservoir (sp?) is poorly designed and is difficult to grasp with thumb/finger. Get something else!!
on January 31, 2006
I bought this grinder to go with a brand new Bialetti Moka Expreess espresso pot I received for Christmas. I've heard that burr mills are the best way to grind coffee. I wanted one, but I didn't want to spend big money. I wasn't expecting much for the price of this mill, but I thought, "How bad could it be?" Man, was I wrong! No matter how I adjusted this thing, the grind came out unusably coarse. It wouldn't grind fine enough for a percolator, much less espresso. Seriously, I could have done a better job with a hammer! It doesn't really deserve the one star I'm forced to give it. If you can't make coffee of any kind with what comes out of it, it's useless junk!
on August 12, 2004
I have used the Melitta System for 30 years. It makes the best coffee, but requires a fine consistent grind. This grinder is not Melitta quality. The product description says: "Burrs grind coffee beans uniformly...18 grind selections, from very coarse to very fine for espresso." None of that is true for the machine that I received. The machine breaks up the beans into chunks of inconsistent sizes, even on the finest grind setting. I suggest that Melitta recall the affected machines, and correct the problem to protect their good name. I am returning my machine in exchange for another model.

Ric in Seattle
on January 9, 2007
For the same money as a blade grinder, this unit makes less mess and better coffee. You do need to calibrate the burrs (as mentioned above), as they come set to grind too coarse. With that little tweak out of the way, it works great for drip or French Press coffee, although espresso is out of it's range.

I'm very good with my blade-type unit, but even this cheap burr unit makes better grinds. It was worth snagging when my grinder went AWOL during a move, even though it turned up a week later.

FWIW, I have a new version with 1-18 adjustment scale.
on March 13, 2005
Yes - you heard me. It is a pain to clean - which you have to often because it will just stop working! First it will start to smoke and smell like burning circuit boards... then just "grind to a halt". To clean the fine dust out and dislodge a piece of stuck bean you have to unscrew three screws to get to the problem - and then screw it all back together and "hope" it works... Meanwhile you have just gotten your counter and sink black with fine dust from the grinds a real pain to clean up...and tomorrow it will do the same thing!

NOT WORTH THE TIME OR MONEY.
on December 24, 2005
This coffee grinder essentially stopped working after a couple grinds. Even the finest ground was totally coarse to begin with, then it quit entirely. I sent for a free replacement of the grinder gear (what supposedly was the initial problem), and with the replacement it limped along for a couple more months, still with very coarse grounds, then quit again. And, the countertop somehow always ended up a mess. I feel that you are better either getting a more expensive burr grinder, or go with a higher quality blade grinder for about the same price.
on October 14, 2005
I heard that burr grinders offer a better, uniform grind when compared to blade grinders. I do not have experience with professional grade burr grinders, but this one simply is not very good. It does grind coffee, so for the price it serves its purpose. But it is very difficult to clean the grinding mechanism and I had to fashion a seal out of duct tape to prevent it from spewing coffee dust everywhere (and yes, the container was locked into place). If you're looking for a cheap grinder, go for a blade. They're easy to clean and don't make a mess.
on February 5, 2007
Where do I begin? First, be prepared for the grinder to spit coffee grounds out all over the place when you grind the beans. The design of the plastic grounds catcher is defective; the gaps cause the machine to spew grounds everywhere. It has 18 settings but they really make very little difference in the grind. You pretty much get chunks or perk grind with this. It doesn't grind fine enough for good drip coffee. The silly lid makes no sense whatsoever. It simply rests loosly on top but doesn't stay on. This is an awful product.

See 1 answered question