Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

82%
18%

on May 12, 2004
Believe it or not this was the very first album I ever purchased of Quincy's. Back in 1975, in New York City where I live, the soul station WBLS had a DJ by the name of Ken "Spider" Webb. One of his themes was "Bluesette" by Q. I never new who it was but always wondered who. Next door to BLS was a jazz station WRVR. I happened upon them one night and there was Bluesette whistling away. When the DJ announced the name of the artist I knew I had to have that album! I played it til the needle on my record player (you know, the thing before the CD player) wore down to a nub. Listen closely on "Just A Little Taste Of Me" and "Is It Love That We're Missing" and you'll hear the talent of a Q discovery, The Brothers Johnson. Talk about some funky siblings! Naturally when their first album "Look Out For Number One" came out I got it. "Bluesette" is a lovely piece with the chorus masterfully offsetting the fantastic whistler whose melodic lips simply make you want to whistle along. The title tune is almost haunting in its splendor. The female lead (Patti Austin?) lifts your soul to heights unimagined. I haven't purchased the CD ($30 is a bit too much). I'm going from memory here. I still have the original album but haven't listened to it in about 15 years. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is because I can't recall how the other songs sound but based on the ones I know it's definitely worth having if you're a fan of Quincy. The Brothers Johnson, Patti Austin, James Ingram, George Benson, Rufus and Chaka, Michael Jackson, Minnie Riperton, Ray Charles, these are just a handful of the artists that Q has touched. For a man who doesn't sing a single word Q has infuenced our musical tastes in popular music for over forty years...not to mention his distinctive jazz style previous to that. "Mellow Madness" introduced me to Quincy. It's definintely worth getting. Perhaps not at $30 though :)
on June 3, 2004
When Q unleases the might Brothers Johson on "Is This Love
That We're Feeling" you KNOW what your getting."Mellow Madness"
is Quincy Jones's definative funk era statement with Leon Ware's
powerful "Paranoid" and George Johnson's afro rap of "Beautiful
Black Girl".As the title implies there are a few subtle moments
here but the moody,funky grooves that make up the bulk of this
album are SERIOUSLY slammin'!And Q's smooth production carries
the slower stuff very nicely-a must own!
on March 20, 2006
QUINCY JONES IS IN STANDARD FORM FOR HIM, RARE FOR EVERYONE ELSE. THIS IS DEFINATELY A GEM FROM THE MID-70'S. THE BROTHERS JOHNSON MAKE THEIR FIRST APPEARANCES ON THIS ALBUM. THEY WOULD SOON MAKE THEMSELVES KNOWN TO THE WORLD,BUT HERE THEY ARE JUST A COUPLE OF UNKNOWN, EXTREMELY TALENTED NEWCOMERS. WHO WROTES SOME OF THE MOST INTERESTING MUSIC ON THE ALBUM. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS ALBUM ON CD FOR NEARLY 20 YEARS.IT'S A GREAT FIND, AND WORTH THE WAIT, IF YOU CAN FIND IT
on July 24, 2009
Why isn't this album more available on cd than it is? This is criminal!"Q" is at his very best for this place in time. Never mind that the Brothers Johnson were introduced on this effort. The title song "Mellow Madness" is the pace song for this album. I remember listening to this song as it played on the radio. I was only maybe 10-12 years of age, but I still had an appreciation for good music when I heard it. My parents weren't into Quincy Jones as I was. So I could never convince either one of them to take a chance on "Q". The slight interest that they did have in him was when "the theme from Sanford and Son" played on the radio. My parents love Redd Foxx and this t.v. show. Anyway, there needs to be a huge protest by the fans of the "Q" to make ALL of his music readily availiable in the U.S. as well as overseas. It's total madness that we can't get this effort in the U.S. MADNESS !!!
on July 24, 2007
I can't understand for the life of me why this album has not been released on compact disc domestically. This was one of Quincy Jone's finest albums ever recorded, along with "You Got It Bad". It's become obvious that the industry doesn't have the slightest inkling on what the music listeners as well as collectors want. How in the world do you allow foreigners to beat you to the punch on such classic material. That should not happen. For goodness sake, A&M, you guys need to release this title on cd and make it available for the fans here in the states to purchase. This was also by the way Quincy Jones introduction to the Brother's Johnson.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2008
This is one of Q's finest works. Introducing 'The Brother's Johnson', (Boot & Hen), George and Louis to the rest of us...it's almost like the Holy Grail, so hard to find, but oh, so worth the effort. 'Beautiful Black Girl' is an excellent example of what Rap is supposed to be; uplifting, inspiring, passionate, motivating, respectful, imaginative, creative...ya know?
on December 2, 2007
This is probably Quincy Jones finest work with amazing poetry and talent coming from the Johnson Brothers.The sound quality of the Japan import is nothing short of breathtaking...i know its unavailable domestically but its worth getting at any cost or lets say at the current import price only because of the quality of the work..highly recommended.
on September 8, 2011
I like to read the liner notes and credits. I like to know what instruments are being played and who's playing them. Especially with Quincy Jones because he employs some unique sounds in his music. The problem with this "Import" is the text is Japanese.
on August 20, 2011
Classic pop music fused with a touch of jazz. Mr Jones has done it again with another timeless classic. Brilliantly recorded and performed. The product arrived in perfect form.
on October 9, 2015
Old school true to it's name. What can I say? It's classic Q.