5.0 out of 5 stars The wait was well worth it
Every so often, I come across an album that excites me more and more as I listen to each song for the first time and leaves a smile on my face when it's over. This is one of those albums.

Published on November 21, 2009 by Mark

3.0 out of 5 stars much different than her older stuff
I got this cd because I like flyleafs older stuff and at first I didn't like it. It's a lot different than her older stuff. It really just depends on what type of music you like. It's slightly more techno sounding and it's not the best but once I listened to the cd a few times I got used to it and I like it more but there are still a few songs that I skip.
Published 23 months ago by sarah123

5.0 out of 5 stars The wait was well worth it, November 21, 2009
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)

"Memento Mori" is a concept album that explores light and dark and reminds the listener to live while being mindful of death. It should come as no surprise then, given knowledge of the band members' faiths, that the lyrics have a strong Christian theme running through them. While Flyleaf's debut had its share of Christian references, they are much more pronounced and in abundance on this album. The lyrics are meaningful, deep, honest, and blunt. You won't find them in the CD booklet. Instead, the booklet contains a series of journal entries (one for each song) that give insight into the meanings behind the songs, written from the point of view of the commander of an army.

The album is full of original, infectious melodies that have enough variety to carry it through from beginning to end without it becoming boring. There is a nice balance of heavier and lighter rock. The songs are arranged well, starting with an upbeat anthem and ending with a hopeful and haunting closer. Lacey pours her soul into every song she sings. It's clear that the band put a lot of effort into the album, and it paid off.

Although I purchased the deluxe edition of the album, I decided to base my rating only on the main album so I wouldn't have to deduct any stars from the final score for the mini-CD. The extra four-song CD isn't bad, but it's nothing special. It lacks the creativity and diversity of the main album, and doesn't really warrant the hassle of having to pop it into the CD player after the main album is finished. It sounds more like a mini b-sides album with its somewhat forgettable melodies. I was also unable to download the songs from it into my iTunes library (though I did not deduct any stars because of this, since I don't know whose fault this is). Unless you are a serious fan of the band, I would recommend the regular version of "Memento Mori" over the deluxe version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!, November 11, 2009
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
I was eagerly awaiting the release of this record so I could buy it because I loved Flyleaf's first album. The version of the album I have actually has 22 songs because I bought it initially off Itunes to get the two itunes exclusive tracks. I then came back on here and found out there were five more Amazon exclusive tracks. There is not a bad song here. Lacey's voice never ceases to amaze me. Also, the lyrics on this record are awesome. I like the musical style too. I know that the overtly Christian lyrics my be a bit of a turn off to some of the band's non-Christian fans, they are the opposite for me. I love my savior Jesus Christ, and what he has done for me, and I love how Flyleaf expresses that they feel the same way. Give this record a try. You won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars "There's some strength left in us yet" (3.5 stars), November 10, 2009
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
Four years after the release of their highly successful self-titled album, the most prominent Christian rock band from Texas -- Flyleaf -- have reunited with producer Howard Benson to dish out their long-awaited sophomore effort, "Memento Mori." While the first album had more of a garage band edge to it, the follow-up finds the band shedding away some of their punkier second-rate Nirvana influences in favor for a much more polished and radio-ready sound. This should come as no surprise though, as Flyleaf are one of those rare rock bands nowadays who can sell a record and since their debut was a bit raw and immature.

Touring heavily with the likes of Korn and Disturbed has done little to soften the band's strong Christian themes. In fact, on "Memento Mori," such moments are much clearer than ever. For some this could be a turn-off, but for the (ahem) faithful followers, it may be a plus. Put plain and simple, Lacey loves Jesus and wants to make sure you know all about it. Putting that aside, though, the album is certainly a notch above the first as far as musicianship goes. While the band has yet to establish a distinctive style, they back up Lacey's broad themes and unique voice well, and Benson's improved production only serves to give the whole affair more bombast and sonic improvements. Put simply, this is the same Flyleaf you know already, just marginally improved and perfected.

If "Memento Mori" has one fatal flaw, though, it's that the songs tend to blend into one another without a single moment sticking out. While there isn't necessarily a bad song to be found, it can be an overall taxing album to listen to and certainly begs the question of whether or not it will continue Flyleaf's string of success. At the end of the day, their second effort improves on almost all fronts, leaving memorable song-writing on the back-burner. Chalk it up to a burnt-out producer (seriously, what album HASN'T Howard Benson produced this year?) and a slightly immature band. Hopefully album number three irons out some of the wrinkles, but in the meantime, this will suffice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hold on to the world we all remember fighting for, December 27, 2009
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
I'll be the first to admit that I had all but written off Flyleaf by the time they announced the release date for their new CD, Memento Mori. However, I remember how much I liked them at one point so I gave it a chance and rushed out on the release date and picked it up.

It hasn't left my CD player since.

Now I know this is a different beast than their original was, but I think that's what makes it all the more sweeter, it isn't what I expected. There is still the moments of all out hard rock (Beautiful Bride, Again, The Kind) but now we see Flyleaf flirting more with melody and actual singing than before (In The Dark, Set Apart This Dream, Treasure) and it works in their favor for the most part. I'll be honest, the only song I skip over is Missing and I wouldn't necessarily call that a bad song even. I'm not oblivious to the fact that this CD isn't perfect though. I understand it's not, but it's as close as Flyleaf was gonna get after a four year absence.

There's been a lot of gripe about the lyrics this time around. I can't really understand why, Flyleaf is open in admitting they are a CHRISTIAN band (go to a concert of theirs, that'll prove it), hence the blatant religious lyrics in a lot of songs. As for the others, Lacey hasn't been shy about talking about how she got married during Flyleaf's abscence, hence the songs like Treasure and so on. I accepted those facts before hearing Memento Mori, maybe that's why I still enjoy this CD so much. What aids their case also is the liner notes in the booklet. I opened it anticipating reading the lyrics, but no. Instead you're greeted with a story of sorts about a girl leaving one (bad) 'army' to join the other (good) army. It's obvious they're talking about the constant fight between good and evil, but it was something that helped me make sense of some songs.

All in all, this is still Flyleaf. If you liked their EP or full length debut, you'll find something to love about Memento Mori. For others, don't expect the world and you should come out impressed.

Best songs: Beautiful Bride, Again, The Kind, Swept Away, Treasure, Circle, and (especially) Arise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Living Out Loud, November 20, 2009
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
I am so proud of this band! These people don't label themselves a "Christian band" because they don't believe in playing the God card as a means of making money. Just like most amazing artists/musicians out there, they lay out their lives through music. Why else write, if its not true to you? Music is suppose to be our outlet and our way of getting what matters most to us out without speaking. It truly reflects the heart. And this is their heart, so they really can't NOT talk about God. But they don't sing about God for the sake of money. That's why they don't promote themselves as Christian. You only know that through their lives that they graciously share with us. It upsets me to read the negative comments people leave about what this band has to say through their music, and how they want to just listen to it for their own enjoyment, without hearing "all this hypocrisy" as one person put it. What about the band's outlet? Why should they have to write about things that are a lie to them. This album is their truth, it's The Truth! And because of that, they have enough love for people, to at least try to open their eyes and bring hope. Which is more than many care to do. It always seems that whenever God is placed into the equation, people are told to shut up, or what they're saying is offensive. But when it's all about darkness no one says a word. They are praised for digging so deep to get those raw feelings. When really, it doesn't deserve any praise. Life is dark! Everyone struggles with the negative emotions, so it's nothing special or new. People tend to want to sit in that mindset, so they are really just praising those people for keeping them there. What should be praised is when people like the members of Flyleaf dig as deep as they have, that they find themselves digging towards the top of the other side. They know and enlighten others that there is something worth fighting for, and encourage us to keep digging through the dirt of our lives. They know the best way to come out clean is to completely sift through the mess, but they don't leave us there to do it alone. They bring people to the One waiting to wash all the dirt off once we make it through. How on earth is that offensive? It's comforting to know I am still so loved even if I am a mess! The only reason someone would be offended by what they have to say is because they don't want to fight and they don't want to know the Truth because ignorance is bliss, right? Then you're not held accountable. That's how it is in life, if you didn't know then it's not your fault. But unfortunately at the end of this race, we all will be held accountable and no one will be excused for simply "not knowing". I encourage everyone of us to open our minds a bit, and really take to heart what is exposed on this album because just by listening to it you have been made aware of the true "Commander" aka "Comforter" and will be held accountable for what you do or don't do with that knowledge. So stop complaining, and be thankful that you are loved this much, that God used a band He knew YOU loved to shed a little light on the subject. He came to you through your music, that's how much you matter to Him. He wants to see you at the finish line so you can finally just collapse in His arms after such a long, hard race. Life is hard with Him, so why make it any harder without Him? And thanks to Flyleaf for such honesty and strength in this album! It was well worth the wait!! Much love and many blessings!
Jamy

4.0 out of 5 stars Meaningless?, December 23, 2009
I usually don't take the time to review things, but something in some of the reviews I was reading about Memento Mori gave me the incentive.

After reading that one reviewer found the lyrics in Memento Mori meaningless, well...I have found a lot of the lyrics very inspiring, with all of the harsh truthfulness that Christian rock bands usually have, and minus the hopeless despair that secular heavy metal usually has. A person who finds "Beautiful Bride" meaningless is someone who doesn't personally understand the Christian life. The body of Christ which is represented in the church, and the unity it should have, etc.

Also, songs like "This Close," which is coming from the perspective of someone who doesn't know Christ, with lyrics that tell about a person's spiritual deadness, and what will eventually happen to them unless they come to Christ carry deep meaning. Flyleaf's prerogative IS NOT for a person from a religion apart from Christianity to find meaning in the lyrics as far as their own personal religious experience goes. Christianity's experience is different from any other religion, and I imagine it would be going against everything Flyleaf stands for to have a Buddhist find the same meaning in their lyrics as a Christian would.

"Had a dream that we were dead, but we pretended that we still lived.
With no regrets we never bled and we took everything life could give
And came up broken empty handed in the end
In the hearts of the blind, something you'll never find is a vision of light
With the voice of the dead, I'm screaming"

So, basically my entire point for this review is that the beauty in Memento Mori is largely in the lyrics, and if you can't relate to those, this Cd won't speak to you nearly as much as it does to me. I was not disappointed with this CD, and it is definitely better in every way than their previous CD. The only real downside is that the style of most of the songs are the same and sound kind of the same. I would like to see them expand in the diversity of sound in their next album, but overall, high praise.

The deluxe edition features four bonus tracks: "Break Your Knees," "Enemy," "Have We Lost" and "Who Am I". "Break Your Knees" and "Have We Lost" sound like it would fit right in with the first album, while "Enemy" meanders along rather blandly. "Who Am I," on the other hand, sticks out and would probably make a good single -- if it weren't for the fact that it is so short. These tracks are worth owning for the fans who can't get enough of the band, but don't neccessarily improve the album as a whole. Take 'em or leave 'em.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, November 19, 2009
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
Memento Mori delivers in every aspect of the word. Lacey has extremely captivating and dynamic vocal capabilities. Her passionate voice is matched by crisp yet edgy musicianship and simple but compelling lyrics. It is obvious that Christ is the center of Lacey's life, but the lyrics are never cliché or preachy. The one song I feel should have been taken out from the album was Tiny Heart, which is essentially a pop song that does not fit with the rest of the songs. Treasure is really the only time the album slows down, but it is a beautiful ballad. The rest of the album is hard rock at its finest. Amazing vocals are accompanied by soaring or heavy guitars and anthemic drums. Although this album has enough singles to last another four years, I honestly hope we don't have to wait that long to hear their next album. Excellent sophomore release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Flyleaf!, August 14, 2011
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
This album is reallllly good. the songs get stuck in your head! If you look up the lyrics to the songs they really make you think as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff!!, June 4, 2011
This review is from: Memento Mori (Audio CD)
I am by no means, a "God Rocker," butI picked this CD up on a whim. I was very surprised. It was actually a good CD. I like all of the tracks on this album, some a little more than others. The band is great, and the vocalist is even better.

Memento Mori
Memento Mori by Flyleaf (Audio CD - 2009)
Rate and Discover Movies