Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Package Type: Standard PackagingChange

on January 13, 2014
We have been living with this Memorex boom box for about three weeks now. It was purchased as a media player that could be moved around the house easily and was capable of handling CDs, cassette tapes, MP3 discs, and AM/FM. We had originally considered a Sony model, given that brand's very good reputation, but we could not get a clear answer on whether it could play MP3 discs. On line, one Sony distributor's rep said "yes" and another said "no" while at least one consumer's review also said "no".

This Memorex has reasonably good sound for a boom box, though it is unsurprisingly deficient in its bass (most boom boxes don't "boom" all that well). The analog tuner (digital would have been nice) seems to pull in local AM and FM stations with ease, though the tuning dial is small and hard to read.

The CD player does indeed play MP3 discs, both commercially produced ones and CD-R discs created on the computer. It is somewhat slow to load an MP3, but that is a very minor issue. Standard CDs, both the commercial variety and those written on the computer also work as expected, with a few exceptions. One commercial CD (out of many dozens tried) would not play at all, with the boom box display claiming "no disc". Cleaning the CD did not help, and that same CD played fine on several other players. And one music CD-R had occasional drop-outs that were not manifest on other players.

We've had less experience with the cassette player, which we use mostly for old lecture tapes from the library and our collection, but sampling a few cassettes revealed no problems. Surprisingly, the cassette unit also includes a "record" feature for which we have no use and have not tested.

There are a few good ergonomic features: the volume control and the CD play/pause buttons are both large and easy to use in a darkened room (the unit usually sits adjacent to our bed). The top-loading CD compartment is functionally simple, suggesting that it will not cause problems. Other, less-used CD buttons are grouped close together and not easy to differentiate, especially with their small print.

Perhaps the most deficient ergonomic feature is the very small, non-illuminated, LCD display. It is hard to read even in good light if you are not at the right viewing angle and impossible in low light or the dark. Our older boom box used a larger LED display which could easily be read in a darkened room.

The unit switches from "off" to "CD" to "radio" with a slide switch, a pretty conventional set-up. I mention this only because our last boom box (a GPX) failed after many years of modest use when a similar switch stopped functioning.

This Memorex boom box fits our needs and so far has worked with only minor glitches. We'd buy it again, despite the display issue. There are cheaper boom boxes listed on Amazon that handle MP3s and the other media, but we were turned off by some seriously negative reviews. There are also less expensive Memorex units that lack either the MP3 or cassette capability. If you do not need MP3 capability, you might also want to consider the Sony unit sold by Amazon and others.
on December 21, 2012
I did return this product. Was not made for an older person. The little window to view what track you were on for the cd you were playing was not backlit properly and was way to small for an older person with vision issues. May be OK for younger people, older people beware!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2012
I was given this boombox for Christmas in 2011 - product carried a 90-day guarantee - I wanted a small player to sit on a shelf in the kitchen, which is where it sat, until early April of 2012, at which point, although the power light came on, there was no sound for either the radio, tape player or the CD player. The boombox was fairly pricey, but it is now useless, and our complaint to the store (Radio Shack) where it was purchased was shrugged off, my email to Memorex went unanswered - shipping costs for service would be cost-prohibitive, but the item is now useless as it is - and I am angry - we have wasted nearly $70 on a piece of Memorex "junk".
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2013
Portable systems rarely have the fine sound quality a top notch stereo can produce. We all know this. When you want something easy to use and portable, you know it won't exactly be the highest fidelity. But for the price, this unit has a pretty lush and full sound, with very straight forward settings. It took me less than 1 minute to figure it out, and it also has an external outlet for to hook up your mp3 player if you wish. I have used this outside and the sound carries.
on October 8, 2013
I like the boombox. It performs well and arrived quickly. The only two disadvantages were that it was a bit larger than I wanted it to be and most of all there is no headphone jack and I mostly wanted to use it night when everyone else is sleeping.

Jim T.
on May 16, 2013
I purchase this boombox after having a bad experience with my 1st choice, which was the Sony CFDS05 Boombox (which I had to return). This player doesn't produce the same sound quality as the Sony but like my title suggest, it's doable. I was just looking for a decent cassette player to listen to all my old tapes; nothing fancy and complicated and this lil baby fits the bill. Asthetically, it's nice and it's not too big and blends in well with my decor. The operational buttons are not flush into the player and although it's 90% plastic, it doesn't look or feels cheap (unlike the Sony player). I've only had it a couple of days but so far so good. I read a couple of reviews where some said it eat tapes and it stops working after a few month.......guess I will have to check back in and update this review as time passes. I would recommend anyone who's looking for a soon to be scarce cassette player to grab it now.
on April 5, 2014
I purchased an inexpensive boombox for my business. I really was not impressed with how cheap it felt; but, decided, I get what I pay for. Then, I turned on the FM radio. Yikes. Very poor sound. But, still lived with it for the price I paid. Then, after four days use, the CD player decided that it did not want to play. Okay, let's check this out, maybe, it is the disc -- nope -- it's the player. Decided to send this back. So, while pushing the antenna back down into place -- guess what --- It broke off! I purchased this for the "Memorex" name; thinking that I would have a decent "inexpensive" boom box. Boy, was I totally wrong. Not recommended!
on March 17, 2013
I got the Memorex cd/mp3 boombox today and it's great..plays cd-r and mp3 great and radio works great..
Also the cassette player works great no complaints on the Memorex cd/mp3 player..the box doesn't say it
Works with cd-r just cd/mp3 player but it works with cd-r and cd-rw too..awesome product from Memorex..
on May 21, 2014
When I received the boombox I was happy with it's appearance. The radio worked well, when I started to play my old tapes which is the reason I bought the unit only one out of five produced any sound, so believing that the tapes were too old to play I threw them into my garbage can. My daughter came to visit and saw my tapes in the garbage can and asked why I threw them out, I told he I dumped them because they didn't play anymour. She picked one of the tapes I threw away, put it in her player and it sounded beautifully. I again placed that same tape in my boombox and as it did the first time all I heard was a hissing sound, the same was true with all the others I threw away.
I returned the boombox immediately.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 31, 2013
I read all the reviews carefully and knew what I was buying. No surprises. It does a good very good job.