4.0 out of 5 stars This one's very nice
Published on October 31, 2009 by hope beverly

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed by reaction...
Published on October 26, 2007 by Phoebe's Mom

4.0 out of 5 stars This one's very nice, October 31, 2009
hope beverly (Stevensville, Michigan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memories for My Grandchild (Hardcover-spiral)
I decided I wanted to give grandparent journals to the parents and in-laws for Christmas, and began reading the reviews for the many books. I have a rather comprehensive genealogy already done, so I wasn't too interested in getting the whole "family tree" aspect. Instead, I wanted insight into the person's childhood and adulthood, and perhaps some little personal nuggets that would really flesh them out for me, my kids, and generations to come.

At Any rate, I still couldn't figure out which one I wanted (sometimes those "look inside" things are just useless, showing copyright pages and blank sheets!), and of course the local book stores don't have all of them. I decided the only way I could decide which was right was to buy them all, look at them, and return the ones I didn't like as well. So, I bought Grandmother Remembers a Written Heirloom for My Grandchild, A Grandparent's Legacy: Your Life Story in Your Own Words, A Grandparent's Book, The Grandmother Book: A Book About You for Your Grandchild, Grandparents Journal, and Memories for My Grandchild. I'm planning to review them all as I make my decision.

Memories for my Grandchild is hardcover, with a spiral binding which makes it really easy to lay a page flat to write in the book. The book has decent weight, smooth paper which should accept all pens and pencils. the first page is a dedication "for my grandchild", and prompts you to fill it out with why you filled it out, the first time you saw the grandchild, always remember this, etc. That's a nice touch. My problem is that the grandparents I was giving this to have 3 or 5 grandkids (depending on the side of the family), and I was going to have them fill out the book once for all the grandkids. This dedication might be hard to write for all the kids.

The next faces are a family tree, which uses a fold-out page to extend the tree to both the grandmother and grandfather's sides of the tree, followed by 20 pages of "family history"; ancestors, the grandparent's grandparents, parents, and extended family. the very last page of the chapter is heavier weight, with cuts in it to slide in a family photo. The next 18 pages are of the childhood years. It is a mixture of starting the sentence for you ("My hero was...") and Q&A ("Were you born in a hospital, at home, or somewhere else?"). Following chapters are "Teenage years", "entering adulthood", "family life", "today", "further thoughts", and "resources" (a list of genealogy/family record books and websites). Each chapter but the last follows the same format as the "childhood years".
The book is not clearly for a woman or a man, and the individual pages are not froo-froo or anything, but the chapter pages and blank pages have a somewhat female bent with the design, romantic quotes, and photos. They seem to be careful, however, to make questions gender neutral (eg, "As you got to know your future spouse, what made you fall in love with him or her"), so this could work with either a man or woman.
The book came shrinkwrapped. The back cover description of the book is attached to the shrinkwrap, so after you unwrap it, you are left with only the fancy paper of the back page. This gives the book more of a journal/keepsake feel, which is nice. The inside back cover has an attached, expandable envelope for putting in keepsakes. It's great that it expands but I don't think you can put too much in there or the book's cover won't close properly.

This is the last book I reviewed. I think my top 3 contenders are the 3 spiral bound books. For whatever reason, I liked the insides of those best, and of course, liked the spiral binding best. I'm not sure which one I will ultimately choose. Perhaps I'll end up buying different ones for different parents/personalities... I'll have to update later.
UPDATE: I decided to buy 2 copies of this; one for each of my parents, since they are both into genealogies. For my inlaws, I purchased "grandparents' journal", so they would only have to fill one book out.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Joy of Writing to a Child, July 6, 2005
G. H. Leon (State College, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Memories for My Grandchild (Hardcover-spiral)
I loved this book (we actually have two books, one for each of us to write to our grandchildren) not just because it's quite an ambitious project (anything worthwhile is) but because it's something I wish my grandparents had done for me. I have no letters of theirs addressed to me (much less a book like this), nor do I have much of an insight into their daily lives of work and play. I remember the two grandmothers only in their old age, and my grandfathers not at all. The older I get, the more I want to know about them. I hope that in interweaving stories of my past, as well as those of my parents, grandparents and earlier ancestors, that my grandchildren will have ever so much more to delve into than just a genealogy chart. This book asks about not just the daily rhythms of our lives, but also about what makes our hearts beat with anticipation--what inspires us, what hopes we have for our children and grandchildren and for our world. And they will come to know us as people who were once young too. I love interspersing photos and special mementos throughout this sensitively and beautifully written book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most important book I've purchased this year., July 17, 2005
This review is from: Memories for My Grandchild (Hardcover-spiral)
Saving memories seems like an obvious and simple thing to do with and for your family, but I found it impossible to capture histories without having this book in hand. Besides being a catalyst and a handsome receptacle, the book is also extremely well thought out, making the process of collecting memories much easier than if you sat down and tried to do it on your own. Definitely worth giving to your loved ones and owning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Memory Book, December 19, 2008
This review is from: Memories for My Grandchild (Hardcover-spiral)
(review written by Nick's wife) I came across these memory books in a parenting magazine and loved the idea of having my children's grandparents fill them out. I even bought some for my grandparents to fill out for me.

After searching through everything Amazon has to offer, I ended up purchasing a variety of books. I chose Mom, Dad, Grandma and Grandpa, Tell Me Your Memories, A Grandparent's Legacy and Memories for My Grandchild.

Memories for My Grandchild has the most flexible layout - meaning there is no guide for filling things out at a certain time. It is also the largest book, measuring about 8" x 10" and just less than 1" thick. It has a covered spiral binding. This is the only book with a pocket in the back to drop in any special items and a pull-out page to fill in the family tree. The pages in this book are lined as well.

A Grandparent's Legacy is probably my favorite of the books I purchased. It is laid out month-by-month with topics to discuss. The book measures 8" x 5" with a nice covered spiral binding and is about .75" thick. Each page has topics to discuss and lines for writing.

I was slightly disappointed in all the Tell Me Your Memory books. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I really didn't think they would all be the same with a different cover page as they are. I was really disappointed in the size of the books. They are 4" x 5.5" with a 1" spiral binding. Each is about 1" thick. It is laid out for a full calendar year - each day having a different question or memory for the person do write about. The pages have a question at the top and are blank (no lines) below.

The books all cover similar questions and memories. I haven't gone page-by-page to compare, but have been pleased with what I've seen so far. Since the books are so similar, I'm basing my overall opinion on the appearance and friendliness of the layout.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed by reaction..., October 26, 2007
This review is from: Memories for My Grandchild (Hardcover-spiral)
I bought these books for my mother, mother-in-law, and father to fill out for my daughter. I knew that they would be quite a project to fill out, but I didn't expect the reactions I got from my mother and mother-in-law about them. Seems as if they were a little overwhelmed at the prospect of revealing their lives in such a way (in writing)-- They are both in their early 60's and were taking the questions so literally it was frustrating for me to even talk about filling out the books with them! Maybe they both have some sort of weird inability to sugar-coat anything, I don't know! My mom asked, "what do you want me to do, lie?" Like the question- Where did you go for family trips? My mother said "we didn't have any money, we didn't go anywhere." and proceeded to tell me that she had a very boring life, she started her family at 17, didn't have much money untill they were older, and had nothing to write about.... which left me feeling depressed, and apologetic for even giving her the book!

I had such high hopes for these books, I think they are great gifts for the right people. I wish my relatives were a little more open to this sort of thing, I would've loved to have something like this filled out by my own grandmother, who died when I was 3. If you think the recipient will oblige, then I would definately recommend it.... but just a warning from someone who found out the hard way, not everyone is open to this kind of thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Detailed and visually pleasing too, June 19, 2005
This review is from: Memories for My Grandchild (Hardcover-spiral)
This goes beyond others in this category in the number of topics it covers. It is really guiding you through an autobiography. I bought this to do with my grandmother who is 90 and lucid and has a great memory.

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm buying multiple copies!, October 25, 2007
This review is from: Memories for My Grandchild (Hardcover-spiral)
I've never taken the time to review the many books I order, but I had to chime in about this one. I ordered it because it sounded like a terrific Christmas gift for my 19-month-old son to give his grandparents, and I'm thrilled. It's a beautiful book, and anyone who fills it out creates a family treasure to be passed down for generations. The book contains thoughtful and interesting questions to answer that will create a really terrific autobiography when filled out completely. It's a beautifully printed book -- it's actually a hard cover, with a spiral spine inside so it will lay flat while you write in it. Very good quality paper, good quality images for the few photos included, some nice quotes; overall a great product. As one reviewer noted, these are really designed for each individual grandparent to fill out. I think this is a positive attribute, though, unlike the other reviewer -- it means we'll have four different family histories to share with our child. In addition to purchasing copies for all 3 of my son's living grandparents, I'm going to buy a 4th that I'll try to fill out on behalf of my father who died a few years ago. With help from my mom and from my dad's siblings, I hope to create something that will make my wonderful dad come alive for the grandson who will never have the privilege of knowing him (and for me, too -- most of the questions in there I don't know the answers to for my own dad!). In fact, I think this book would be a wonderful gift for parents, not just grandparents, to fill out for the kids they love. So I'm also going to order two more copies that his father and I will fill out about ourselves, for our son's benefit and then perhaps eventually for his children to enjoy. A wonderful book! My thanks to the thoughtful authors!

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories for My Grandchild, July 17, 2006
This review is from: Memories for My Grandchild (Hardcover-spiral)
The book has tons of space to put family information and pictures.

the only problem is it will take me a year to complete the project!!! But when it is done it will be a wonderful keepsake for both my grandchildren. I bought on copy and when I saw how nice ist was I oreder another.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY THE BEST!!!!, August 4, 2009
This review is from: Memories for My Grandchild (Hardcover-spiral)
I have purchased over 8 diferent types of grandmother memory journals and this is hands down THE BEST!!! this book is large enough to write down what you want to say and it is spiral bound. Amazing questions! there are places to aid pictures and write down stories about the picture. there are also extra pages to write down more stories and there is even an evelope attached to the back of the book to insert extra picture or family recipies. This book is worth the money! i bought this book for my grandmother and when i asked her to fill it out she absolutley loved it but wishes she would have gotten it eariler so she would be able to remember more. I HIGHLY Recommend this book!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a way to preserve your family's history, May 5, 2009
This review is from: Memories for My Grandchild (Hardcover-spiral)
I originally got this book as a gift, thinking its various projects and prompts would offer my mom a framework to help her pass along memories to my nieces & nephews. I didn't realize at the time that, in doing so, it would also expose whole layers of my parents' lives that I'd overlooked to me and my siblings. Beyond offering a structure to preserve my family's oral histories and traditions, it inspired my renewed interest in my parents and their lives as younger adults. Since giving "Memories for my Grandchild" to my mom, we've started a blog collecting her favorite anecdotes, poems, and tales from her own childhood -- and I finally started editing my father's biography of my grandfather. I'd recommend this book to anyone with a multi-generational family and an interest in preserving its history.

Memories for My Grandchild
Memories for My Grandchild by Nicole Stephenson (Hardcover-spiral - August 19, 2004)
$19.95 $15.64