Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 24, 2008 9:02:54 PM PDT
TracyLynnMcc says:
This is the message I get when I power on my Canon Powershot S3 IS. My SD memory card however is not in the locked position. I even went out and bought a new SD card, yet am still recieving this message. Any info on how to resolve this is much appreciated. This camera is only a year old!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2008 12:16:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2008 12:17:50 PM PDT
I have same problem. Powershot s5 is. I bought it yesterday. I bought also a 4 GB card. This happens with this card. Then I put the 32 MB camming with package. With it it was everithing all right. Have you find the aswer?

Posted on Sep 12, 2009 10:12:20 PM PDT
J. Chavolla says:
I get the same message with my Canon powershot SD400. the memory card is a brand new PNY 4gb sdhc. i tried to format the card like the manuel says in the troubleshooting section and Im unable to hightlight and select "format" in the menu dropdown.....from articles online this sounds like a Canon problem............any suggestions anyone?

Posted on Sep 12, 2009 10:13:19 PM PDT
J. Chavolla says:
I get the same message with my Canon powershot SD400. the memory card is a brand new PNY 4gb sdhc. i tried to format the card like the manuel says in the troubleshooting section and Im unable to hightlight and select "format" in the menu dropdown.....from articles online this sounds like a Canon problem............any suggestions anyone?

Posted on Oct 26, 2009 11:25:47 AM PDT
I have the same issue with my S3IS. Nobody can seem to tell me how to get this problem fixed without sending my camera back to Canon. I've tried different sizes and brands of cards, both new and used. It's NOT an issue with the cards or compatibility, it's CANON!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2009 1:51:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2009 7:29:35 PM PST
jivekitten says:
I have a Canon A650 that was displaying a "card locked!" message. First, of course, check the lock tab on the card itself. Then, try a different SD card in the same camera. I tried an old 256 MB card. I still got the "card locked" message. When I put the 1 GB card I was struggling with in my old Nikon, it read fine. So at this point I knew it was my camera and not the card. What finally worked was very gently pressing down on the metal flap inside the card chamber that detects the lock with the tip of a straightened paperclip. This link can show you how to do it: http://camerarepair.blogspot.com/2009/07/simple-fix-for-memory-card-locked-error.html.

Posted on Jan 3, 2010 3:51:28 PM PST
t00nz says:
The link A. Dozier graciously included above also lists the other issues described in the posts above, and the corrective actions for each.

CR

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 9:18:45 AM PDT
I had the same problem and search online for an answer. This the best I got. It fix the problem. Let me quote and cite the website below. Hope this helps.

==================================================================

"Q&A: Unlocking the Mystery of a Memory Card Error

By J.D. BIERSDORFER

(http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/01/qa-unlocking-the-mystery-of-a-memory-card-error/?ref=technology#postComment)

Q.

Why is my camera giving me a message about the memory card being "locked"?

A.

The Secure Digital memory cards used by many digital cameras have a small plastic switch on the side that can be used to "lock" the card and prevent you from accidentally erasing the photos and videos already stored on it. (This is a similar concept to the small plastic tabs that could be punched out of old audiocassettes to prevent the perfect mix tape from getting destroyed.)

Odds are, the switch got nudged into the "lock" position when the card was being inserted into the camera. To unlock the memory card so that you can record new pictures and videos onto it, open the card door on the camera and eject the card. On the left edge of the SD card, slide the small tab up to the unlocked position. Return the card into the camera and check the camera display to make sure the lock message has gone away.

If you're still getting errors, check that the card is seated properly inside the camera. It could also be possible that the memory card is damaged or defective, so try swapping in a different Secure Digital card.

<http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/01/qa-unlocking-the-mystery-of-a-memory-card-error/?ref=technology#postComment> . "

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2011 7:36:17 AM PDT
Thank you! the lock tab on the card had been moved. Problem solved!

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 8:24:23 AM PST
LilRedWriter says:
I have checked the lock slide on the card. In either position, the camera still says it's locked. Now what?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2011 5:27:28 PM PST
shopper24 says:
This happened to me when I bought a "Mobile microSD Card with Adapter" card by mistake. In this case, you only have to place the tiny 'microSD" card into the larger regular size SD card, then place it in the camera. Hope it works for you.

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 11:20:13 AM PST
C. Dickson says:
I have the canon power shot A3000 and its telling me "memory card error" and "memory card locked" I tried one of my other memory cards and got the same message. I tried flipping the button on the memory card...that didn't help either. Based on this it can't be a problem with the memory card (as I've tried three now) it has to be the camera. Just for lulz I also tried formatting one of the cards, which as expected didn't resolve the problem.
I'm quite pissed because I've only had this camera for a year and I take good care of it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2012 11:23:09 PM PDT
Yes i did just what u said almost exactlty but i pulled or nudged tab outward where lock mechinism on card meet when card is inserted.thanx u saved me

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 7:02:06 AM PDT
I have the answer everybody! First off, take your memory card out and look at it. If the memory card says SD/HC then it won't work. Only SD memory cards will work. It has to do with the size and not how new/ old the technology is. 1 gig SD memory cards for small cameras work while others such as 4 gig SD/HC will not. The bad news is, you'll probably need to make another trip to Wal Mart to get an SD memory card. The good news is, they are availiable and cheap. After this, go and format your memory card as per usual. Just make sure it's an SD card and not a SD/HC card. Happy shooting.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 10:06:29 AM PDT
dorothyb says:
Also having memory card issues in my Canon Powershot S3. I've been using the same card for years, the tab is moved to "unlocked" (and comes out still unlocked) and the connections are all clean. I've been experimenting with two cards-my ancient Nikon Coolpix 2200 reads them just fine as does my computer via that camera, but as soon as I swap the cards into the Canon it shouts "card locked!" Based on that and this thread I suspect the Canon's SD slots just have issues.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 6:33:07 PM PDT
C. Dickson says:
Sorry my friend, not the issue for me. I have the powershot A3000 and I'm using a 1 gig memory card (that has always worked for this particular camera in the past) and it's telling me there is a memory card error and the memory card is locked.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 7:45:28 PM PDT
thanks. it worked for me

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2013 10:08:40 AM PDT
Dannielle says:
Thank you!! That worked perfect!! :-)

Posted on Jul 31, 2013 1:21:01 AM PDT
Fiddling with a toothpick inside the card chamber cured mine.
Many thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2013 4:18:38 PM PDT
it is not the camera. I have two canons and I have a card in one but when I put the other two cards in either camera get that message. My secretary did something with these. :) I have moved the clip on both up and down still doesn't work will go to a camera shop.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2013 3:50:07 PM PDT
Pat says:
exactly my problem !!!! need solution quick

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2013 8:46:51 AM PST
JWC says:
Thank you.. Tried everything and then put the little adapter in, worked right away. !!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2014 5:59:54 PM PDT
Chris YOU ARE 100% CORRECT ... I went to 3 stores today buying different SD cards for my Panasonic PV-3000 Video camera ;keep getting Card Error message ... then my friend went into an old chest brought out old cannon digital camera. it had a regular SD card in it.. w/o the SD/HC on it popped it in my camera ... WHALLLAHH!! it worked.... you solved the case thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2015 7:58:01 PM PST
This was perfect. Thank you so much.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  22
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  May 24, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 20, 2015

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Canon PowerShot Pro Series S3 IS 6MP with 12x Image Stabilized Zoom (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Canon PowerShot Pro Series S3 IS 6MP with 12x Image Stabilized Zoom (Discontinued by Manufacturer) by Canon
4.4 out of 5 stars   (596)