Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$3.99

on April 18, 2012
In a stark future world wrought from man's inclination toward annihilation, two groups of people struggle to survive and shape the future of mankind. The group known as the Myths is led by bloodthirsty, power-hungry Vernon, whose primary goal is to shape the future of civilization the way he wants it, with him at the helm. And he has the power, determination, and lack of morals to achieve his goal at any cost. Working against him are the Preservationists, or Presers, a group of genetically enhanced humans whose lives are centered around a single goal: preserving the knowledge of the past so it may be used in the future when mankind is ready to rebuild a humane and wise civilization. At the heart of the Preser's effort is Shelana, a young woman determined to protect her daughter and pass on the information and knowledge that is her destiny. But that determination puts her at the bull's eye of Vernon's target as he attempts to wipe out the Presers once and for all, changing Shelana's destiny to one of mere survival and, after her family is murdered, one of vengeance. It's a fool's task except for one thing. Shelana possesses a powerful but deadly secret: knowledge of Vernon's one potentially fatal mistake. If she can survive long enough to use this knowledge, it will give Shelana hope for the vengeance she seeks, and all of mankind hope for the future. If she can survive....

I was one of a privileged few who read Memory's Child years ago when Spratley first wrote it and I'm ever so happy to see it finally out there for others to read. It's a definite page-turner, a cautionary tale set in a world that is bleak and depressing, but woven through with threads of hope for a brighter future. Spratley is a talented writer who knows how to turn a phrase, how to create tension, and how to weave an intriguing tale that had me at turns laughing, crying, and biting my nails down to the nubs. It's a story that stays with you long after the last page is turned and leaves you wanting for more. Here's hoping Spratley will soon comply!
on August 25, 2012
Picked this up as the post-apocolyptic scenario sounded different, which it was. Writing was a bit uneven, characters were fairly well developed although not always consistent but the storyline made it an entertaining read for me ... until I got to the cliffhanger ending. Ended just minutes before a big battle began between two of the major groups.

Major pet peeve for me and I've been running into this gimmick so often lately, I've lost every bit of patience I ever managed to develop for it.

Updated to add: Author has written a novella to continue this story and I have upgraded my 1-star rating which I gave due to the cliffhanger ending to a 3-star. Would probably have rated it even higher but I'm still personally annoyed at the initial cliffhanger ending.
on June 15, 2012
I liked the plot even though it was a little drawn out. I don't ordinarily read romances, and I got tired of Race's selfishness. I didn't see much to love about the man. Scattered throughout the story are commentaries about society and environmental issues, which are a little preachy. The ending was abrupt, leading into the sequel(s). For a free book, it was okay. I probably wouldn't buy the sequel.
on January 6, 2013
I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was well written. The character and story-line development was great. It made me think of how I would react and survive in such a world created by the author. Real quick, the world as we know it no longer exists. Floods, rains and mudslides have wipe out 99% of the world. Technology is lost. People gather into groups such as Tanners, Harvesters, Builders, Merchants, etc.. There are no cities or towns. People have lost all knowledge of the past except one group of genetically enhanced individuals. They are known as the Preservationists who's goal is to pass on key knowledge each one has. The key character of the book was a Historian. One problem. The Preservationists are stalked by the Myths who hunt and "cleanse" them (kill). So they must live among the morons and pass their knowledge down through there kids until a time when the world will begin to rebuild itself. A good story. BUT it doesn't end with this book. I'm reading just when the big showdown with the Myths is about to happen and the book ends. I was pissed!!! Why do writers do this. They take their cue from Hollywood I guess. Will I read the next sequal? I don't know. Maybe, when my anger subsides. I have to take a full star away. Otherwise this was a solid 4 star+ book.
on June 15, 2012
I had real problems with the writing at times. At one point the hero's eyebrows get raised like caterpillars racing up a tree. Really? There were also some real inconsistencies with some of the characterizations. We are told repeatedly what a genius the heroine is, yet there is so much she doesn't notice or can't figure out even though she is also considered to be exceptionally curious. Perhaps she just has a really good memory, but we are told (never shown by any evidence in the story itself) that she has a super high IQ. I kept waiting for her to use it at least once or twice, even in a way that didn't matter much to the story, but I can't remember even one incident where she did. Sometimes, she was treated as humorously naive, and she shouldn't have been if she had the intelligence she was supposed to have had. I could never get passed this problem. Also, the character of Race is very inconsistent - cold one minute and overly solicitous the next. The time sequence is not very well laid out. I had to work to figure out how much time had passed.
********SPOILER ALERT (I guess.)********** Finally, the book ends just as we reach the climax. All that buildup, and then it drops off.

I like to give indie writers a break, especially on early efforts. But when they have received so many positive and very generous reviews, it does seem like a dose of reality is needed.
on May 2, 2012
Lynette,

I finished your book and OMG lady!!! It is such an awesome book! I hate that it ended. I can not wait to see what happens to Shelana, Race and Fellon. They have sooo much more to do and so much story left to be told. I have just fallen in love with them and when I got to the last page, I was sick that it had ended. When will the next book be out? I'm dying out here not having another book that continues on where this one left off. Congratulations Lynette! You definately have a winner on your hands. For anyone that has not yet read Lynettes' book by all means, get it now!!! SMemory's Child (Phoenix Nest: Guardians of the Future)tick with after you start reading it. It gets better and better the more you read. Very addictive! Hugs girl, you have made it!
on March 9, 2012
A fast paced, well written sci fi novel with realistic characters & a plot that sucks you in. I couldn't put it down. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel to see what happens next.
on December 29, 2012
This was a well-written book which held my interest. However, it is not a stand-alone book but is rather a cliffhanger. Also, I would call it a romantic novel in a post-apocalyptic setting, with the sci-fi being secondary.
on June 15, 2012
I got this book for free and was generally not expecting much in the way of quality. I am pleased to say that I was wrong to think so.

This book is a stunningly well-done post apocalyptic tale, in which society has evolved into tribes of nomadic hunter and gatherers, interspersed with the 'morons' or unenhanced humans are the preservationists, genetically enhanced humans whose job it is to remember certain parts of human knowlege so that it will not be lost forever. The central character is Shelana of the Thunderhorse tribe who is a historian. Set against the preservationists are the myth who are a group who persecute and kill their opponants, seemingly in mindless slaughter.

I read through the entire book in one sitting, over about eight hours and was wrapped up in the story the entire time.
on June 19, 2012
I'm sure this will contain a few "spoilers" so if you plan on reading this book and don't want to know then please .. don't read the reviews. I was really hopeful with this book, it had a good premise and an interesting plot line however that's really where it began and ended..

First, The main character is supposed to have a high IQ... during chapter 3 or 4 as she's rattling on about her post civilized world, she say's it rains frequently, which is frequent. uh huh. Sometimes she is so obtuse and insipid you have a hard time believing she's intelligent at all. The "morons" around her are more fascinating, resourceful and smart and the reader gets very tired of the redundancy not in just the writing but on the one track course this one dimensional character seems set on taking over and over again. I thought at first she was going to be a feisty loner with the ability to survive a great deal however as the book progressed the character digressed and it's really a shame.

Second, in a post civilized world where would one get a banana in south Georgia? There are constant things like this that stick out as illogical sore thumbs. The characters have conversations about things we take for granted, ie. windows, houses, books etc.. but the conversations themselves are just ridiculous in the extreme.,

Thirdly, is the sorry characterization of the main hero.. Race. I'm sorry but one minute he's a great guy and the next minute he's a sorry excuse for a human being. He is so inconsistently written that you longed that author had hooked her up with his father Fellon instead. The book drags on and on like no tomorrow and I'm glad it was a freebie or I would have been very upset to have been parted with my money over this badly written wanna be hunger games book.