5.0 out of 5 stars five episodes into this series and am absolutely knocked out
Update: I just watched the season finale, episode 10. This series remained top notch from first to last. I really hope there is another season. I can't recommend the series highly enough. Below is the original review:

Published on January 9, 2010 by carol irvin

2.0 out of 5 stars Men of a certain age (complete season one)
First of all, this review does not apply to the show. this is a WONDERFUL series that touches on life issues for those of us who are 50 years of age or older. Ray Romano is fabulous as are Scott Bakula & Andre Braugher. Five stars for the series, however, two stars for the release.
First off, the labels on the two discs are reversed,the disc labeled disc 1 is...
Published on August 17, 2011 by Lou I.

5.0 out of 5 stars five episodes into this series and am absolutely knocked out, January 9, 2010
This review is from: Men of a Certain Age: Season 1 (DVD)

I am five episodes into this series and am absolutely knocked out. The acting on this new series is absolutely superb and is equalled by the scripts. I could never get into Ray Romano in his EVERYONE LOVES RAYMOND show despite its being an enormous hit. Unlike that show, this is NOT a comedy although it has wryly comic moments. The premise is three guys in their late 40s who grew up together and have stayed together as friends their entire lives. Two of them are white and one is black. I grew up in a family business so the black character, spending his life in his father's car business, is the best story for me. The actor does a superb job with the tensions inherent in working for your father, a former pro sports hero. He is also the only one who can hold down a marriage. Ray Romano plays the one soon to be divorced primarily because of his gambling addiction. He owns a party store with lots of games, fittingly enough. This gambling addiction takes a fascinating script detour when he spends an entire evening in the company of his bookie as his friend for the night while his wife is out on a date. The third guy is the ladies man, a never made it actor who now tries out other occupations like some people try out new ties. I like him the least of the three but that may be the point of including him. You are going to want to see this show, every episode. I can hardly wait for episode six.

Visit my blog with link given on my profile page here or use this phonetically given URL (livingasseniors dot blogspot dot com). Friday's entry will always be weekend entertainment recs from my 5 star Amazon reviews in film, tv, books and music. These are very heavy on buried treasures and hidden gems. My blogspot is published on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising Slice of Life, January 30, 2010
This review is from: Men of a Certain Age: Season 1 (DVD)
Men of a Certain Age is a show I expected to like but not love, since I hadn't enjoyed Ray Romano in Everybody Loves Ray. WOW - was this show ever a surprise. Andre Brauger is completely different from his character on Homicide and equally interesting to watch - as is Scott Bakula of Quantum Leap and Enterprise (where I didn't like his character) fame. Both men bring nuances to the characters that keep you wanting to sit down with them and get to know them better. However, Ray Romano is simply amazing and surprising here. I didn't know he had this level of acting ability! The other surprise for me is how much my wife and teenagers love this show - you'd think from the title it is a show for middle aged men but the reality is, it is fascinating viewing for anyone with a brain. These characters are complex shades of gray - no easy answers and not just easy ground covered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this show, April 17, 2010
This review is from: Men of a Certain Age: Season 1 (DVD)
This show is as funny, sad, and realistic as TV gets. It is smart and the dialogue is well written.
I liked Ray in Everybody loves Raymond, and it took me a bit to redefine him in a different role, but this role is much better. All the characters are fun and interesting.

Being a man in my late 30's, I find myself drawn to this show and thinking about my life in many ways. Seeing myself and many of my friends in the different characters and wondering what will happen to them next. Not sure if this show will stretch genders, but my wife liked the 15 mins she watched.

Anyway, support this show - it is a good one.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll LOVE this show!, July 20, 2010
This review is from: Men of a Certain Age: Season 1 (DVD)
I starting watching Men of a Certain Age because I'll watch anything with Andre Braugher. I didn't care much for Everybody Loves Raymond, and so wasn't interested in Ray Romano. I've always been a fan of Scott Bakula. Well, was I ever surprised at Ray Romano who has some real acting chops. The show, about 3 best life-long friends, each a unique personality and character. Ray Romano as Joe is divorced and owns a party store and has a gambling problem. Terry is a failed actor and somewhat of a Peter Pan - he's never really grown up and taken on the responsibility of a mature adult. Owen (Braugher) works at his father's car dealership. His dad was once a famous basketball player, and Owen doesn't have the drive to go out on his own. Sounds pretty dull, but these 3 guys are among the most interesting and complex people you'll see on TV. Each has strengths and weaknesses just like the rest of us. The show is a drama but has a great deal of humor. I'm a woman older than the guys on the show and absolutely adore Men of a Certain Age. The characters are real, not GQ skinny model types, but real human beings dealing with real life issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Men (and Women) Of Any Age, December 16, 2010
This review is from: Men of a Certain Age: Season 1 (DVD)
Joe Tranelli (Ray Romano), Terry Elliott (Scott Bakula), and Owen Thoreau, Jr. (Andre Braugher) have been friends forever -- or at least since college. Now in their late forties, pushing fifty, all three find themselves in places they never thought they would be. Sweet, funny Joe, a family man at heart, finds himself unexpectedly divorced after a gambling addiction rears its ugly head. Terry, a struggling actor with some real talent, is still single, unable resist the lure of the audition as well as the siren call. Owen, with a sweet wife (Lisa Gay Hamilton), three adorable kids, and an impossibly successful, arrogant ex-athlete father, wakes up each morning in a C-pap mask. He is an overweight diabetic, trying to live up to Daddy's achievements, and haunted at every turn by the thought that he might just be an imposter.

These three friends meet several times a week for a hike (good for the blood sugar and weight) and breakfast (a la "Sex and the City", but thankfully we leave sex in the bedroom where it belongs, most of the time). There, with the help of a witty and believable screenplay, they hash out their weeks' problems. They make fun of each other (male humor), encourage each other (because at heart they are really nice guys), and sometimes solve each other's problems.

It is wonderful to see the great Andre Braugher in a venue finally befitting his talents. He was the rivetting star on "Homicide: Life on the Streets" -- the one you just couldn't take your eyes off of. He does not disappoint in this series, where his humor, honesty, and integrity as an actor can shine. Bakula, always intriguing, does an admirable job as Terry. He brings a humanity and self-mockery to this role of the man-child, and you can't help rooting for him. But it is Romano who owns the show, in my opinion. Self-deprecating, struggling, humorous as always, a man who may have lost most of what mattered to him but is holding on for dear life -- this is the character you have to love. He does a great job as Joe, and a great job as the creator of the show. I hope for more seasons of "Men of a Certain Age", because it informs all of us at any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Counting down the days until Season 2., January 4, 2011
This review is from: Men of a Certain Age: Season 1 (DVD)
When I purchased this it was because I knew all three actors and was interested to see how good they could be as a group. What a fantastic surprise. Men of a Certain Age was so much better than I could have hoped. As a woman I watched with interest as my partner started watching the DVD with me (I live in Australia and we do not get the show down here). He was into it immediately and said to me you have finally purchased something that I can relate to. I was surprised but happy because I have been trying to purchase something that he would enjoy as much as I do. Anyway getting back to the show the storyline following these men as they confront normal problems (handled in such an interesting way) is a joy to watch. I believe that Season Two has twenty two episodes. If that is the case then roll on because I have watched Season One several times and I am counting down the days until Season Two is out on DVD.
Do yourself a favour and buy this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reality TV, January 14, 2011
J. Janssen (San Diego, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men of a Certain Age: Season 1 (DVD)
I love this show. Somehow I missed the first year and only picked it up 1 episode into the 2nd season, but getting the first year on DVD made it all fall into place. You could almost call this a "sex in the city for men" as it's about 3 long time buddies entering the middle age "crisis zone" and dealing with the sort of stuff that happens; divorce, gambling addictions, familial disputes between fathers and sons, but with a moral code of what can happen when you tempt fate a bit too often. It's about bad habits and how they manage to catch up with you and about how sometimes you can do everything right and still have a less than satisfactory outcome. It's also about how these 3 re-evaluate their lives, make the course corrections, and..... I guess we won't know until the series' finale.

We don't easily recognize that there's two parts to life. The first part is easy; you just have to learn the simple stuff of how to play nice with others, get an education, have some fun, pick out a trade and a mate and settle into what you think life is about. That part stops when you think you've got all the answers. Part 2 is about how that stuff doesn't always work.... and that's, in the end, what this show is all about. Oh, and by the way, it's outrageously funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great gift, December 27, 2010
This review is from: Men of a Certain Age: Season 1 (DVD)
There is really not much to say except this series is amazing. The characters react so well and there friendship leaves much to be desired. I give my hats off to the writing staff on this one. The show makes you laugh, smile, cry and relate to each individual person. If you know any middle aged individuals this would be the best gift, as it would be easy for them to relate. Actually I know friends that are exactly like the character. Take a chance and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Time, June 24, 2011
jpop (Greenville, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men of a Certain Age: Season 1 (DVD)
Besides an excellent cast an an equally good supporting cast, this show has quality writing and production. The characters and their dialogue are ordinary yet interesting. I care about the characters and what happens to them. It's realistic in how it portrays life's victories and how they are often balanced out by life's setbacks (and vice versa).

Of the three main characters, its Andre Braugher who stands out as Owen, who at middle age is beginning to realize that working for his Daddy all these years may have damaged him and kept him from realizing his full potential. All three main characters fight similar truths as Ray Romano's Joe struggles with a gambling addiction that contributed to the break-up of his family, and Scott Bakula's Terry begins to see that time is catching up fast to his twenty-something lifestyle.

I am a "Man of a Certain Age" myself and lately I find myself being more particular about how I spend my time. I can easily say that watching this show is time well spent. Kudos to all involved, particularly Romano who handles the serious side of his role with casual ease and whose behind the scenes creativity obviously propels this show to greatness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Men of a Certain Age shines the light back on two great actors, November 2, 2010
This review is from: Men of a Certain Age: Season 1 (DVD)
Men of a Certain Age is the brand new TNT show from Ray Romano. It stars Ray alongside two of televisions finest actors Scott Bakula and Andre Braugher. The show focuses on three friends each dealing with being in their mid 40s. It's ostensibly a drama with some lighter comedic moments thrown in. The tone is perfect and it's very easy to feel for these characters.

Ray Romano plays Joe a recently divorced man who runs a party shop and has a gambling problem. Scott Bakula is a struggling actor finding it hard to land any new roles. Andre Braugher is working as a car salesman at his father's dealership. All three characters have compelling story lines which drive the show forward.

Two of my favorite actors of all time are Scott Bakula and Andre Braugher. Scott Bakula was brilliant as Dr Sam Beckett leaping in and out of people each week on Quantum Leap. Andre Braugher was a powerhouse performing as Detective Frank Pembleton on Homicide: Life on the Street. Homicide remains my favorite TV show of all time. I think both actors have struggled to find good projects since then, but they've both finally landed on a good show.

The chemistry between all the actors is fantastic. Their lifelong friendship is very believable. The scenes between them all at the diner, hiking or at home all work well. The person who I was truly surprised with is Ray Romano. I never considered him a great actor, he clearly is a great comedian and is now proving himself as a great writer. His character Joe really resonates. It's a very honest performance.

Andre Braugher is an incredible actor. He could read a phone book and I'd be glued to the screen. This is a very different role though. It was originally written for Bunk from The Wire but when David Simon required him for his new HBO show "Treme" Andre came in at the last minute. I'm glad he did, he does play more comedy here than he is known for. I think Andre can do comedy just fine, there is plenty of funny scenes between Pembleton and Bayliss on Homicide as examples of that. This is no raging Pembleton in the box though. It's no good vs evil showdown with the intensity of an interrogation. Even so, It's no less enjoyable. Here Andre's character is really struggling, trying to support his wife and kids and do a job that he simply doesn't want to do. He's a broken character so it will be interesting to see his journey over the course of the season.

Scott Bakula is another actor who can have some amazing dramatic moments. He play's the comedy to perfection in his role. I think the way these characters interact with the younger characters is telling. They've already been through it all before so they look on in bemusement. Still, Scott's character still clings to his youth and even begins dating a 25 year old. I love the scene where he goes to an audition for a lifetime series and stands in the hall. He is surrounded by plenty of other good looking 40 year olds who are great actors. There is a sense of resignation to his situation.

This show got overlooked when it first aired but it's clearly that a new show that you should discover on DVD. It's something different. There's not any show on TV dealing with middle age men. It's not simply about a mid-life crisis. These are very well drawn characters,very realistic, and extremely watchable. Give this show a chance I think if it can find an audience on DVD it has plenty of seasons left in it.

Men of a Certain Age: Season 1
Men of a Certain Age: Season 1 by Ray Romano (DVD - 2014)
$29.98 $15.99