Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Men In Black 3
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$8.99

on January 8, 2013
I reserve 5-star ratings for movies that not only entertain me, but touch me somewhere besides my funny bone or an academic appreciation for it as a piece of art. 4 star ratings, however, will still get me to buy the Blu-Ray, which I did the day after we streamed it from Amazon Prime.

We liked the writing, the chemistry of the characters, and especially Josh Brolin's frighteningly accurate take on a young Tommy Lee Jones. I didn't even miss the worms or the bugs from the earlier films. And the 70s sets were so spot-on I kept thinking things like, "...they must have raided my mother's basement for that TV set..." I also liked that the writing didn't beat the 70s theme to death--that era was perfectly capable of beating itself to death with no help at all.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride...
on January 27, 2016
I had watched this movie when it first came out but I guess oldzheimers made me blank it out completely. When we first started watching it I knew it seemed familiar, but it's one of those movies that are so well done that I still enjoyed watching it again even when I remembered how it turned out. So few sequels are as good as the original movie - MIB is one of those rare series that live up to the original.
on October 21, 2013
"The Best MEN IN BLACK Yet!" Shawn Edwards, FOX-TV <-- written on cover of DVD case

WARNING! SPOILER ALERT!!! The above statement needs to change Best to Worst. The first one is still the best one yet. One thing that I did thing was strange was the look of MIB headquarters. We open up in the present and MIB HQ has a new look. Way different from the look in the first movie. (By the way, I still miss the twins!) Yet, when we go back to the past, MIB HQ still has the look from the present scenes. Should it not look more like it did in the first MIB movie? And there aren't too many aliens! I mean, come on! An Alien movie with more emphasise on time travel instead of the aliens? And where is Frank? I must have seen a dozen pics of a pug dog and no Frank? Where's Frank? And the worms! I miss them too! They had such a small part this time around. I hope that they stop it here before they make it worse. If they come out with a MIB 4, they need to get the people who did MIB 1 back so it can be good!

All in all, if you want to purchase this movie, buy it cheap. It ain't worth more than that.
on July 28, 2012
I definitely enjoyed seeing this movie. Now, I have to admit that when I saw this movie in the theater, I had only very recently seen the first movie in the trilogy. I have not yet seen the 2nd one. However, I was still able to legitimately laugh at certain parts of this one. When I go to a movie, I don't usually expect to be blown away by how good or bad a movie is. I didn't really get blown away by this one, but at the same time, I was never anxious to know how much more time was left in the movie. There were a few slightly grotesque things shown, but that's to be expected in a movie like this, considering what happened in the first movie, and the fact that it's a sci-fi movie. The thing that surprised me the most was that there were a few touching scenes sprinkled into it--most notably toward the end of the movie. If you're looking for a somewhat light-hearted, sci-fi comedy, then I highly recommend checking this film out.
on January 8, 2013
When Men in Black came out in 1997, I was thirteen. Will Smith was a huge box office star (and he arguably still is), and his rap career was about to explode thanks to his album, Big Willie Style (1997). When I first saw Men in Black, I was a huge fan. I was impressed with the creative story and willingness to accept the absurdity of dealing with aliens. It was refreshing, funny, and entertaining. Then, in 2002, the less enjoyable sequel came out. It was still a box office success but not as widely regarded or enjoyed as the original.

Fast forward to 2012. Men in Black 3 seems like a logical film to finish a trilogy, but it also doesn't seem necessary. The teenager in me was more than excited to see MIB3, but my expectations weren't that high. However, as soon as the movie ended, I walked out of the theater incredibly impressed.

Men in Black 3 takes place fourteen years after the original. Agent K (Tommy Lee Jones) and Agent J (Will Smith) are still partners. K is still old, cranky, and by the book. J is still the fun, sarcastic, ambitious, and unpredictable agent. The relationship between K and J worked fifteen years ago, and it still does. In fact, their relationship is the crux of the whole film.

The film begins with an elaborate prison break from Lunar Max, the super-high security prison for alien criminals on the moon. Boris The Animal (Jemaine Clement) is regarded as the most dangerous prisoner there and, of course, is the first to escape. Boris has a magical little creature that lives in his hand and shoots an unlimited number of bone spikes, thus providing him with plenty of ammunition. He is hell-bent on escaping the Moon in order to have revenge on K for shooting his arm off forty years ago and putting him in prison.

It's a simple enough plot and a wonderfully absurd reason for Boris' evil motivations. Boris escapes back to Earth and seeks out the ability to travel back in time to kill K before he shoots his arm off. This is where the film really hits its stride. In a touching scene, K attempts to talk to an angry J about some universal secrets he hasn't shared yet. J is furious that these secrets still exist after being partners with K for fourteen years. After J discontinues their conversation, K awaits a fight with Boris. But the fight never comes, and K literarily vanishes on the screen.

With Boris successfully killing K in the past, J must go back to 1969 (when K dies) to save him and the world. Back in 1969, young K (Josh Brolin) is a fun loving, young, hotshot agent. Brolin masterfully captures the character of K but still adds his personal touches. He isn't as cranky, and there are moments of true emotion. J's ongoing joke is always, "What happened to you?" Because of the sophistication of the relationship between the young K and J, the film offers more than just popcorn- and explosion-fodder entertainment. It actually creates something more important: a character-based film with people you actually care about.

Without going into details, the climax of the movie is exciting, thrilling, and heartbreaking. The consequences redefine the entire trilogy for the characters. In fact the climax of Men in Black 3 makes the first film even better and will only improve it with repeated viewings of the trilogy.

From a geek perspective, Men in Black 3 is also one of the single best examples of the depiction of time travel in recent films. The cause and effect consequences of meddling with time are all apparent, thought out, and used perfectly in various parts of the film. It's an almost realistic take on time travel. There are no apparent time paradoxes created, and it's not a plot that is challenging to ponder within its various timelines.

Director Barry Sonnenfeld has been hit or miss in his career (mostly hit), but he nails it here. His vision for color and character contrast is his masterstroke, and this is one of his best achievements yet as a director.

Men In Black 3 is by far the best of the trilogy and a wonderful way to end the series (hopefully, but unlikely). Yes, it's a great popcorn, summer blockbuster, but thanks to a creative, funny, and entertaining screenplay, it has the makings of a film to be much appreciated long after its theatrical release.
on December 26, 2012
I will be honest here. I liked MiB II, despite the general consensus being that it's terrible. I mean, I didn't think it was as good, fun or interesting as the first one, but I don't think it's deserving of the hate it keeps getting.

That being said, I didn't have much hopes for this movie. I kept reading about production problems, script rewritings, filming delays and such, and it did look like MiB (the first movie) was going to be the highlight of the series.

After watching the movie in theaters, I'm pleased to announce that is not the case. I'm prepared to call this movie the highlight (although marginally). Despite all the problems it had, it's just that good.

Yes, the film has a couple of problems and noticeable plot holes, and you get to notice that different scenes of the movie were written by different people. Why 5 stars, then? Because it's a really, really entertaining film.

The special effects are great, there's no doubt about it. While the side aliens are not as interesting as other ones in the previous films, the main ones are some of the best, both in concept and portrayal. Main guys Smith and Jones are as good as ever, if not better. The 60's setting is very well done (as you might know, this movie involves time travel). One of the film's highlights, of course, is Brolin's portrayal as 69's Agent K. His job as portraying a younger Tommy Lee Jones is, at minimum, superb.

The script is more interesting too, despite suffering from so many writes and rewrites. The story is quite engaging, and the movie is character-driven, and surprisingly emotional. A part of the film will most likely leave you in tears, even in your second or third viewing.

All in all, the good far surpasses the bad, so this is a film which deserves to be watched several times.

As for the Blu Ray, the quality of the film is top notch. I haven't watched the extras yet, but I might update the review when I do.
on December 25, 2012
You know, the only way this could have been better is if Michael Jackson were still alive and costarred in this movie as Agent M. But since that's not possible, I guess this is still a pretty cool movie. I gave it 5 stars because they've saved the galaxy from the bugs in the last one, and hell, if I saved a galaxy from a race of giant cockroaches, I'd perhaps want 5 stars too, even if the stars are being applied to a newer movie without a galaxy that needs saving from the race of giant bugs.
Let's take a second to mention Prime and Amazon's streaming. I'm an Apple/ iOS guy, and most of my electronics are Apple. I'm also a Prime member and enjoy streaming my Prime subscription on my iPad, my Mac Book Pro, even occasionally my iPhone as well as through my game consoles and Apple TV onto my HDTVs. Amazon makes the process very very simple. You just download the app and use it to store your downloaded movies or to stream free, rented or purchased movies. Because I can use Amazon movies, shows, all video on my iPad, I'm happy to check between Amazon and Apple when I'm interested in purchasing or renting a movie. I like the ability to check between different streaming apps and get the best deal offered.

The other little perk which has been popping up on Amazon Prime a lot is the free credit for slow shipping perk. Amazon sometime offers Prime customers who choose it a credit to be applied to video or tv streaming purchases and downloads. For example, I purchased quite a few things during Christmas. I no longer worry about buying my Amazon stuff in one "shopping trip" since I have Prime. So I may place 12 orders over the course of a couple of weeks. On the orders that would be eligible for 2 day free shipping with Prime, I've been offered a credit if I choose the standard 4 or more days shipping. You know, the one that historically they've always said would be almost 2 weeks but arrives in like 3 days usually. That one. On stuff I wasn't worried about getting quickly I would do it. I racked up $6 in a couple of weeks and used those credits to buy a movie about some aliens that hang out on the Earth with The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Loretta Lynn's husband. Or something like that.
on December 12, 2012
It has been a few years but the Men in Black are back for their 3rd movie. Will Smith (Agent J)and Tommy Lee Jones (Agent K) reunite at the sparring duo trying to keep order in the world with our secret resident aliens.
I haven't seen the previous MEN IN BLACK films for years but I thought MIB III lack the energy and sparkle of the first two. Tommy Lee Jones seemed tired and maybe that is why they went back in time to have Josh Brolin play a young Agent K. Of course, there was humor in having a middle-aged Josh Brolin say he was 29. Those Men in Black agents don't seem to age well.

It is fun to have step back in time to 1969 with all the funky hair and costumes. Hey, who knew Andy Warhol had actually been an agent back then? Funny touch. The film seems to drag on a bit and there just isn't the enthusiasm as in the previous films. Back in 1969 we see that Agent K had a passionate desire for Agent O (Emma Thompson as adult O and Alice Eve and 1969 O) Brolin does a great job of capturing the mannerisms and speech patterns of the older Agent K but the young and older Agent O have no resemblance to each other except for a British accent.

Jermaine Clement is delightful and unnerving as the evil Boris the Animal who sets the travel back into time in motion. Boris "Don't Call me Animal" is pure evil and he may be the one to destroy Agent K and alter the course of history.

There is a very special element to MIB III that finally comes to light near the end of the movie. It's worth seeing this poignant and sweet tribute to Agents K and O as a bit of their history is revealed.

I have to go back and watch the original MIB. It seems the best to me but maybe because it was the original and so fresh at the time.
on January 8, 2013
Normally I watch sequels with trepidation, expecting to be disappointed. Not so with this series! This third installment of the MIB movies is very entertaining and even enlightening! Josh Brolin is brilliant as a young K and the special creature effects are amazing. If you haven't seen it yet, don't wait any longer, you'll LOVE it.
Really, they made a perfect choice for Brolin to play a younger K. It's uncanny.

Not as good as the first, much better than the second. Great action, and quite a few funny moments.

If you liked MiB but were scared off by MiBII, then come back for the fun here.