5.0 out of 5 stars Men in Midlife crisis
Wonderful book. Described my husbands struggle as though it was written by him. Has calmed me by helping me to understand that it is not personal that it is not about me. That this is a male right of passage and it has to run its course. Very practical information that is simply written -- you don't need to be a PHD to understand it.
I have friends that I would...
Published on August 9, 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone
At the outset I must declare that I am an over 50 year old male who has never had the slightest desire to own a Corvette, red or otherwise and who has been fortunate, thus far not to do any of the things normally considered to be aspects of a mid life crisis.

Published on April 26, 2006 by Junglies

5.0 out of 5 stars Men in Midlife crisis, August 9, 2002
This review is from: Men in Midlife Crisis (Paperback)
I have friends that I would like to lend the book but can't imagine not having it to read over and over and over again. Companion books "Surviving your husbands midlife crisis written by Jim and his Wife Sarah are also equally wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful for men of any faith, January 27, 2004
This review is from: Men in Midlife Crisis (Paperback)
As a Jew, I disagree with the reviewer who said this book is only for Christian men. I found it to be fantastic: extremely helpful and authentic at a tough time. Sure, Conway is a pastor, but I found his advice to be helpful even while skipping over his references to Christian theology. He comes across so sincerely, and in such a non-preachy way, that this book works with or without those references. If you read this book, you will find a friend in Jim Conway, without regard to what religion you practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Men in Midlife Crisis, June 12, 2001
This review is from: Men in Midlife Crisis (Paperback)
This book saved my sanity. It discribed my husband to the "T". I keep it by my bedside and read it often. It gives my hope and a positive outlook on this horrible event in my husband's life. I have read numerous books on this subject, and this is one of the best and most uplifting!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone, April 26, 2006
Junglies (Morrisville, NC United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Men in Midlife Crisis (Paperback)

Being British, however, one is just supposed to bite the upper lip and proceed through life like one of the majestic ships in Her Majesty's Royal Navy regardless of what is thrown at you. In plain English, we are not taught about such things, we are ignorant and some things are better that way.

Having said that I have been going through some changes in my life and the fact that I grew my hair long again, for the first time in a decade and a half brought forth a slew of comments about me going through a mid-life crisis with the result that research was needed so I turned to my tried and true stalwart friend, amazon.com for material.

Jim Conway's book came first and one of the things that became very clear was that some of the things that I was experiencing certainly fitted the template of mid-life crisis but also could be explained by depression or even simply burn out. As I proceeded to work through the book I was struck by the honesty of the author and his faith in his religion. The use of real life examples certainly illuminated the things he was saying and I could see the sense of his view. It was also clear to me that he has a tendency to be repetitive and reiterated the same things in slightly different contexts when a shorter book would have been preferred.

Also it became increasingly clear that from a personal perspective I was NOT undergoing a mid-lifer but was more frustrated at a lack of progress and development in the large corporate organisation that I currently work for. Similarly as a relatively highly educated individual my skills and talents are being unrecognised and wasted in the face of the requirement for unquestioned obedience.

I continued with the book until the end but it was superfluous by that stage.

In summary I would say that there is a need for books of this ilk. I would think that many people around forty will face questions that they had not encountered before or in a long time. Those people need answers which they will not get from their best friends or families and these books can help. I learned however, that there is a greater need to understand what is euphemistically called 'adult development' and that there are things that we should all do to help ourselves - the same old hoary chestnuts, eat right, exercise and maintain a good social network being the main ones.

This book ertainly helped me. It helped me to reassure myself that I was not having a belated mid-life crisis. It helped me to seek out other sorts of information. It helped me be grateful that I am the person I am and able to contribute in the small ways that I do and it helped me to see that while having some sort of religious belief is not essential to get through life, some sort of principles are.

2.0 out of 5 stars Book is useful only for a very specific population segment., May 3, 1999
This review is from: Men in Midlife Crisis (Paperback)
Jim Conway's "Men in Midlife Crisis" identifies many of the emotional buttons and life areas that men actually *in* midlife crisis are dealing with: aging, family and work responsibilities, and the emotional and psychological difficulties of these things. Unfortunately, the book has a single "answer" for each area and every problem: look to the Christian God. If the reader is a Christian and has done only little thinking about his current life dilemma, then this book may be mildly helpful, as it allows the reader to know that he is not alone and that his faith may help ease the pain he is feeling at this period in his life. However, if the reader is *not* a Christian, or is looking for discussion and suggestions beyond the obvious and beyond the faith-based, then he needs to keep looking--this book will provide neither comfort nor help.

5.0 out of 5 stars saved my sanity - I'm normal!, January 25, 2002
This review is from: Men in Midlife Crisis (Paperback)
This book saved my sanity. It discribed me to me. Jim helped me to understand the what and why - the pain. I thought I was special, different the only one going through this kind of thing. I actually received my copy of this book from my first shrink - but I didn't understand what it was telling me. I was at the start of my ordeal. Now I am finally coming out of the fog and I hope I'm at the end of this journey - or at least that's the way it looks from the book. I have read and re-read this book like a map. I have passed on copies and wisdom to friends and family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely helpful!, May 25, 2001
This review is from: Men in Midlife Crisis (Paperback)
Reading this book was like reading a blueprint of my husband's trek through the 40s. Unfortunately I read the book AFTER the fact... after the affairs, after the conflict, etc. Now that we are rebuilding our marriage this book has given me the perspective I need to work at understanding the WHY of what happened. If I could, I would buy it for every wife on her husband's 40th birthday.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful, informative and well written, July 5, 1999
This review is from: Men in Midlife Crisis (Paperback)
What a lifeline! A book that gives wonderful insight and direction for understanding and dealing with this painful reality. Also discusses women's midlife stress, and gives you options to dig in and have a truly healthy marriage. In addition, the Christian perspective makes the book even richer,and not by simply applying the band-aid, "God can fix anything." If you might be interested in a closer relationship with God, your husband, and even yourself, consider this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for both men and women!, August 6, 1998
This review is from: Men in Midlife Crisis (Paperback)
"Men in Midlife Crisis" goes the farthest of anything I've read in explaining the mid-life crisis. It not only describes how and when it happens, but provides insight into dealing with it successfully. It also addresses the woman's midlife crisis, as well as the later stages of life. This book is invaluable to anyone struggling with the pain caused by a man's midlife crisis.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those going through it -- it's a must-read, November 12, 2007
This review is from: Men in Midlife Crisis (Paperback)
This book is a must-read for any couple 35 or older who sees things falling apart in their marriage, for any woman who sees huge and frightening changes in her middle-aged husband, or for the man over 35 who wonders why everything seems to be turning upside down in his private world.

When my husband and I were separated, a friend gave me this book (the earlier version), and I was amazed at how the things described within its covers mirrored what was happening to us. I gave it to my husband, and he said the same thing. Men in Midlife Crisis was a book that helped me understand the crisis that was rocking our marriage so I could hold on and not give up.

Ultimately, after a three-year separation, my husband and I restored our marriage, and we are happier than ever. But this book was one of the things that helped us get through that difficult time. Eventually I wrote a book of my own, Broken Heart on Hold: Surviving Separation, and have been able to pass the message of hope and healing onto others. Since I've written a book for those in marital crisis, I regularly recommend Men in Midlife Crisis to any of my own readers who may be dealing with midlife issues. The book is so comprehensive. I don't believe there is another book like it.

Men in Midlife Crisis
Men in Midlife Crisis by Jim Conway (Paperback - October 15, 1997)
$14.99 $12.48