4.0 out of 5 stars We CAN Tawk!
I bought this book on Saturday at Joan's signing at the Bank Street Book Nook in New Milford, CT. If she can fill a bookstore to bursting in the middle of CT, you KNOW she has a great book!

Published on January 26, 2009 by Kimberly R. Stagliano

3.0 out of 5 stars I love Joan Rivers
I love Joan Rivers. I did not know that this book was going to be a guide of sorts to plaatic surgery and other noninvasive cosmetic procedures. Plenty of good information though and she's a good source since she's made it no secret that she's had pretty much every work under the dun. I did learn some good stuff about wrinkle treatments. I guess I was expecting...
Published 4 months ago by moonflower

4.0 out of 5 stars We CAN Tawk!, January 26, 2009

I'm not a fan of cosmetic surgery (today...) But I have to say - I can NOT discern Joan Rivers' age from standing 2 feet away from her. She looks wonderful. And she is gracious and cordial (I had my autistic daughter with me and we were having a moment....)

I mean, who the heck is the average woman going to ask about these procedures? The book lays out everything a woman of a "Certain Age" needs and wants to know and adds Joan's trademark humor. What more could you ask for (except a pocket full of cash to afford the work!)

Now I'm off to read Murder at The Academy Awards.

4.0 out of 5 stars PRESCRIPTION FOR LAUGHTER. NO REFILLS REQUIRED, February 2, 2009
Alan W. Petrucelli (THE ENTERTAINMENT REPORT (ALAN W. PETRUCELLI)) - See all my reviews
This Rivers is once again overflowing with wit, wisdom and wisecracks. "Men are Stupid . . ." is a fun (and fact-filled) excursion into the semi-conscious world of nips and tucks by a woman who's been so surgically streamlined that her belly-button . . . ok, we'll leave the jokes to her. She'll hold your hand when it comes to physician picking, lip plumping, mole removal, wrinkle filling . . . as self-effacing as it is ego-centric, Men are Stupid won't leave you in stitches, but it will bring a pre (and post) operative smile to your (new) face

4.0 out of 5 stars funny but informative, August 26, 2009
I'm not too far into the book, but it's typical joan rivers. She openly discusses her plastic surgery and the reasons behind it, with no reservations. It's very much like her monologues, and easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars World's Most Famous Plastic Surgery Patient Tells All!, May 20, 2009
This is a great book that discusses all the plastic surgery procedures you could dream of and some that will really surprise you. I'm interested in how Joan keeps looking great at age 75. She tells you what she did, when and names some plastic surgeons. She covers the face and the body and tells what to look out for and what can go wrong. The big thing is choose your doctor very carefully.

I'm glad that Joan's talking because too many stars keep their procedures hidden. I've had an upper & lower eyelift, chin implant, mini facelift, liposuction, botox, restaylane, and cheek implants. My nephew said last week that he couldn't believe I'm 2 years older than his father when I look so much younger. LOL

4.0 out of 5 stars informative & easy to read, March 19, 2011
I picked up this book out of mere curiosity and have been happy with it. Joan Rivers covers a wide range of topics: botox, plumping, fillers, skin, hair removal, face lifts, boob jobs, noses, lipo, tucks, eyes, & body. She starts each chapter with a cheesy story where she tries to accomplish the procedure herself, then eventually defers to a doctor. I've found her descriptions to be an accurate summary and easy read; she also presents the pros and cons of each procedure. In addition she gives price ranges for each procedure and estimates on how long the procedure takes and how much time you need for recovery. I've recommended this to friends & have just ordered a second book for my mom.

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this audiobook by accident..., September 27, 2011
Confession: I have very little interest in plastic surgery. I bought this audiobook by accident...at the Borders going out of business sale. I was in a hurry, grabbing things quickly, and since it was by Joan Rivers, I assumed it was a comedy CD. Boy, was I wrong! Although she has some funny lines, this is not primarily comedy.

If you are contemplating plastic surgery, I'd heartily recommend this. Otherwise don't buy it!

Joan is very open and honest about the pros and cons of plastic surgery. She can be harsh when discussing other celebrities (which some people may find offensive) but she is just as hard on herself. She is also lavish with praise when her opinion of others' surgery is positive. She is equally honest about what you can expect, what can go wrong, whether a procedure is painful and how painful, how long it takes to recover, how long it lasts.

This book is like getting the scoop from your best friend on what it's REALLY like.

I have to say that before listening to this CD, I was fairly indifferent to Joan Rivers as a comedian or as a person. After listening to it, I have a lot of respect for her candor. Also, I find it hard to believe that no man has ever told her she was pretty. I think she looks great. Not just "great for her age."

5.0 out of 5 stars Joan Rivers Rocks!, September 13, 2011
Molly Turgiss (San Bernardino, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Men Are Stupid . . . And They Like Big Boobs: A Woman's Guide to Beauty Through Plastic Surgery (Paperback)
Joan does a great job in explaining the various plastic surgical procedures in layman's terms. After reading her book I'm much more likely to have a procedure done. She also adds great touches of comedy throughout the book! If you're a woman considering surgical enhancement, you've got to read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny Facts!, February 22, 2011
Joan Rivers really knowS how to make us laugh at ourselves! Every WISE woman that is contemplating plastic surgery needs to read this book as she covers all the procedures ever known and some that aren't. VERY INTERESTING AND YES.... DEFINATELY FUNNY!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Men Are No Longer "Stupid", March 27, 2009
Men are now smarter--especially after reading this book for women. But did Joan really think we men wouldn't take a peek? We have to keep up on these things. In addition, much of the cosmetic surgery she deals with applies to men

What's so great about this to-keep reference book (yes, she should have included an index) are her one-liners, combo serious-humorous approach (real doctors can be so dry), and frankness.

Rivers tells the reader everything--not just the procedural details, but the dangers and benefits, the latter being mostly psychological, i.e., social and emotional. She also doesn't minimize the pain.

Every chapter neatly repeats these sections: 1) "How It's Done," 2) "What's this Gonna Cost Me [in 2009]?" "Why do I Want to Do This?" and "What's the Worst that Could Happen?" And throughout each chapter you'll find yourself guffawing at her wittiness. Regardless, of what some have said about the book and her, I feel she comes through as perceptive and realistic. Yea, she packages it in humor, but that's what makes it a good read.

P.S. A followup: I just saw Joan Rivers on Donald Trump's TV show (May 3, 2009), and I could not believe my eyes. She appears to really have overdone it when it comes to her face. It is not natural looking and her speech seems to be affected by the taut skin (or maybe she was suffering from a recent injection). So, I would reduce my five stars to three, if I could.

4.0 out of 5 stars Men really are stupid, December 1, 2009
I thought this book was great because it answered so many of my questions. Joan tells you everything from how the procedures are done, to all the different types, the pros and cons and how much they should cost, all in terms that anyone could understand. She also cracks lots of jokes to keep it from getting boring. Another great thing about the book is you can jump around to whichever procedure you want to know about. The only thing is I think there was a couple things she didn't mention and I still had some questions after reading. But everyone will probably still have their own questions and those are things you can just ask your doctor. I deffinatly recommend this book for anyone that is thinking about getting something done and doesn't know much about it or who to talk to and how to safely choose a doctor!

Used & New from: $2.25